1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Alligator meat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by popper, Feb 24, 2010.

1. popper

popper CH Dog

Im sure there isnt many . but i was wondering if anyone feeds their dog alligator meat? i live in LA and alligator meat is in abundance here and is VERY cheap. would ther be any problems with it? alot of people eat it here and claim it taste like chicken. they have pure alligator patties i was thining about gettin

2. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I don't know if it would be to lean or not,it does have a good amount of protein but not much fat though and not many calories.How cheap are you getting alligator meat down there?I haven't ever eaten it but I've heard that it tastes similar to frog legs,if it does I'd eat the alligator myself and get beef scraps for the dogs.I can't guarentee the accuracy of these numbers since it's just on a webpage I found but these are supposed to be the nutritional numbers for a raw 4 oz piece of alligator meat.<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Calories 110 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Calories From Fat 20 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Total Fat 2 g </TD></TR><TR><TD>Saturated Fat .5 g </TD></TR><TR><TD>Cholesterol 55 mg </TD></TR><TR><TD>Sodium 55 mg </TD></TR><TR><TD>Total Carbohydrates 0 g </TD></TR><TR><TD>Protein 24 g </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

how much is it per lb down there?

4. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

I have eaten alligator meat, Real nice and mild in my opinion. Thing that suprised me was how tender it was and it was white as snow.

I am betting it would be a nice mix in if the dog would like it.

5. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Alligator meat is too low in fat to be the only meat to feed your dog but it would be a great addition to a raw diet. To me, it tastes like chicken but kinda has the texture of a lobster.

6. popper

popper CH Dog

no ... i would also feedturkey necks , chicken legs , chicken breast , chicken quarters, salmon , mackeral, it would just be an addition maybe once a week or maybe just an add in evrey 2 to 3 days . it is a very lean meat. it would come in pure patties and i would just add it in with little organs and little veggies. my dog would eat any type of meat she doesnt care, as long as it is meat

7. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Like I have said before I am not the go to source for the raw diet, But I think it would be a nice addition for her.

8. kera5

kera5 Big Dog

here in fla. we kept all the gator meat we can for ourselves,to feed to the dogs that's a no!no!

9. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

That's kind of what I was thinking.I'd feed the dogs a fattier,less desirable meat(like chicken backs and beef scraps) and eat the better meat for myself.

10. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Sounds good. Go for it. lol.

11. popper

popper CH Dog

ha ha i am a VERY picky eater ... i grew up in new orleans all my life and i dont even eat seafood

12. I've always wanted to try alligator. I have gotten it in dehydrated treat form for my pooches. They did not complain. I think it would be okay to feed on random occassions.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">