1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Alleged blood sport breeders officially charged

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Marty, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

Tucson,AZ,USA -- Posted: March 11, 2008 03:36 PM EDT

SWAT teams raided four homes late last month and arrested members of an allegedly powerful ring of breeders accused of raising pitt bulls for blood sport.

Now, three weeks later, the alleged breeders have officially been charged.

On Tuesday, February 19, officers raided one home in the city and three in the surrounding Pima County area. They found about 150 dogs - many baring the scars of dog fighting - more than 50 guns and thousands of dollars in cash.

Officers made six arrests, including a man authorities say is one of the top three fight dog breeders in the nation: Mahlon Patrick. The six were released hours later with orders not to return to the raided properties.

The prosecution has been building their case these past three weeks. And after an investigation that took nearly a year to lead to the arrests, the state has now offically indicted the suspects.

Mahlon Patrick is charged with two counts of dogfighting and 21 counts of animal cruelty. John Goodwin, with the Humane Society of the United States, says Patrick has been in the dog fighting business since the 70s. "[He] was known worldwide for two blood lines he originated. Two blood lines of fighting dogs. They go under the names Tombstone and Bolio," Goodwin said.

Goodwin adds, these dogs are highly sought after for their stamina and fighting skills, ranging in prices from the thousands to the tens of thousands of dollars.

"This world of dog fighting that so few people know very much about at all is really organized crime," Goodwin said.

Also charged is Terry "T.L." Williams. Goodwin says Williams ran the online registry for the operation. Now he's charged with one count of dogfighting and 24 counts of animal cruelty.

"All American Dog Registry was pit bull only," Goodwin tells us. "It wasn't the normal pit bull owners that were using them. It was dog fighters." Goodwin says dog fight breeders use the site to get the registration papers to prove the dog's bloodline.

There are four more players in this alleged ring. Robert Clayton Smith is charged with one count of dogfighting and 24 counts of animal cruelty.

Emily Dennis is charged with two counts of dogfighting and 21 counts of animal cruelty.

Juan Verdeen is charged with two counts of dogfighting, 11 counts of animal cruelty and 16 counts of failure to obtain licenses.

Zenaida Verdeen is charged with two counts of dogfighting, 11 counts of animal cruelty and 16 counts of failure to obtain licenses.

All told, that's 10 counts of dogfighting, 112 counts of animal cruelty and 32 licensing violations. The suspects are scheduled for arraignment on March 17.

Goodwin estimates there are about 40,000 people in the U.S. mixed-up in the world of dog fighting. He says the Humane Society rewards up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest of anyone involved.

http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=7999499&nav=HMO6HMaY

2. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

all these dogs will die and jail awaits many because of Goodwins lies and assumptions, pathetic

3. Marty

Marty Guest

I'm so sorry to be posting this :(

It seems we can't win for losing!

4. simms

simms CH Dog

So I guess this where they are gonna account for the millions donated to them will go.

5. is this true or is it being hyped up by the media/police to make it more outrageous?

6. Marty

Marty Guest

7. what a load of crap. i really wish there was something we could do to stop these monsters... but no one ever listens. :(

8. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

So this means no more aadr no more shows and wight pulling? What's going to happen to all the clubs?

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

That whole thing about ten thousand dollar "fight dogs" is so weird to me that I can't even think of an argument against it. The only people I ever see selling dogs for that much are the Muggleston, "pharaoh pit bull," ultimate blue BS fad people.

And you notice they mention about the registry being "pit bulls only." In a letter to a member of another board who asked him about it, Goodwin mentioned that the AADR was "one of the top two registries for dog fighters" or something like that. So you can bet they're trying to find a way into the ADBA, too.

10. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

I bet the adba saw this coming a long time a go that's way they went all breeds to cover there ass what do you think?

11. kinggatorpits

kinggatorpits Big Dog

The all breed thing might save em, but all it takes is for them to find one set of ADBA papers on a dog that has/had been "fought" and it's all over from there and you can bet that the rest of them will not be to far down on the list. This truly is a sad thing.

12. GABulldog

GABulldog Big Dog

is it legal for them to shut down privately owned clubs like that? these clubs arent fighting dogs nor do they promote pit fighting, i dont think they can do shit about it...its a constitutional right. i mean if the KKK can hold thier own clubs why cant dog owners? i wonder...maybe someone more educated in the law could answer that.

13. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

That's a good point shit they let the kkk get away witha lot of things even death threts

14. GABulldog

GABulldog Big Dog

they might be able to put more strict regulations on them though, until eventually it wouldnt be worth it to function. thats what they do in situations like that, its BS how they get around your rights to get what they want.

15. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

well, what next? so much for trying to be responsible owners and breeders eh? anytime someone even mentions game bred pit bulls we have to look over our shoulders? i'm movin to mexico dammit. i personally no longer have the stomach for this. i refuse to be subjected to this bullshit any more. :(

16. Marty

Marty Guest

Update on this case...

http://www.explorernews.com/article/show/21673

A grand jury last week handed down indictments against six people arrested last month for their alleged involvement in dog fighting and breeding operations.

The Pima County Superior Court grand jury indicted Mahlon Thatcher Patrick and Emily Elizabeth Dennis, who bred pit bulls in Picture Rocks, on two counts of felony dog fighting and 21 counts of misdemeanor cruelty to animals.

Southside residents Juan Rudolfo Verdin and his wife, Zenaida Yvonne Verdin, whom authorities suspect of training Patrick’s and Dennis’ pit bulls, were indicted on two counts of dog fighting, 10 counts of animal cruelty and 16 counts of failing to obtain licenses for their animals.

Two Avra Valley men, Robert Clayton Smith and Terry Williams, whom police also arrested in the Feb. 19 sweep, were indicted on two counts of dog fighting and 16 counts of animal cruelty. Authorities consider the men Patrick’s competitors.

In all, the six suspects face 69 charges.

In Arizona, dog fighting is a felony, the punishment for which is nine months to two years in prison and up to a $150,000 fine. Spectators at dogfights can receive similar punishment.

When fighting dogs are transported across state lines, federal penalties can result in up to three years behind bars and a $250,000 fine per offense.

The penalties in Arizona for those convicted of fighting and breeding fighting dogs rank among the toughest in the nation, according to the Humane Society of the United States.

During the Feb. 19 raids, investigators seized 150 pit bulls.

At Patrick’s kennel alone, investigators found 115 dogs, many of which, they said, showed telltale signs of fighting.

The Pima County Animal Care Center and other facilities will hold the seized pit bulls as evidence until the case concludes.

Prior to the Feb. 19 bust, Pima County was considered the “No. 1 exporter of fighting dogs in the country,” Humane Society spokeswoman Jenny Rose said.

Authorities say Patrick, Smith and Williams moved among the upper echelons of the country’s dog-fighting circles.

Smith and Williams run a Web site called All American Dog Registry, a space dedicated to pit bulls. The site registers the animals, and sanctions sporting events for the breed.

Authorities want to ensure that the six arrested in last month’s sweep “will never be able to operate something like this (fight dog kennels) again,” Sgt. Terry Parish, of the Pima County Sheriff’s Department’s Community Problems Unit, said last week. “We’re trying to eliminate it.”

Court dates have not been set for Patrick, Dennis and the Verdins, or for Smith and Williams, who were charged separately.

17. every one better just remeber were there dogs came down from .
    one way or another your pretty pit came down from game bred dogs some where some how .

it is a shame

18. Dr_jitsu

Dr_jitsu Big Dog

I wonder how much Goodwin made off this event?

19. raided2

raided2 Big Dog

Well Marty it took an miracle for me to be able to log in ,I just want to say that the lead detective in this case blatanly lied to the grandjusr to get everyone indicted,She told the Grandjury that several under cover detectives witnessed the game test portion of the January 2008 AADR tucson show ,in wich dogs are forced to face each other and the one that shows the most agression wins:confused: Everyone now that at any sanctioned confermation show that any ones facing a dog is automaticly told to leave the park man how I have her in so many lies under oath ,di you all now they put false charges on me and tried to ilegally take my kids and ransome them for information? well it didn't work at any how I just wanted to say hello ,and thanks for having me I have a ton of stuff on the HSUS that will let you guys know what kinda stunts they try to pull please read the following linkshttp://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/136 also all the dogs that were euthanised had a court order of protection theHSUS and local law enforcement just put them down against a court order!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  20. simms

simms CH Dog

I hope that this case will bring you justice and that the accusers are burnt at the steak for what they have done to you and your family and friends.