1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Ai???

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by JohnsonKennels, Sep 20, 2008.

1. JohnsonKennels

JohnsonKennels Big Dog

has wany one used AI and if so what are some pros and cons. Thanx to all

2. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I've never in my adult life bred a litter, but I can relay one thing and that's that AI litters are smaller. That can be a pro or a con, depending on what your needs are. Some folks do an AI breeding even though the stud is local because they only want to keep track of a few puppies.

3. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I have had 2 AI litters done, one I did myself with a kit & the other was done at the vet's. The litter sizes were 9 & 10 pups respectively. I'd hate to see how many pups she'd have had if we bred natural! :eek:

4. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

I'm sorry what is AI????

5. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Artificial Insemination :D

6. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

OH:p:p:p:p:o

7. thelonewolf

thelonewolf Banned

There are a couple different types of ai. Depending on if you have frozen, fresh, or fresh chilled. The fewer pups theory is not true whatsoever. I have had a litter through AI that had 12 pups. This same bitch never had more than 6 pups with natural ties.

8. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

LOL! At first I thought they were talking about Allen Iverson :p. Smokin, how's it going in H-town? Hope everyone's safe. Just looked at your lastest pics, hemi is turning out nice! You still keep in touch w/ 50? Heard he had a new baby...

Mel

9. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

I don't think there are any cons to doing an AI except some people just want to see the "tie" to be sure they are getting what they paid for. Some of the pros to doing an AI are that there is no chance of transmitting disease. You can make better breeding choices instead of just going to a local male. You don't have to spend money to ship the bitch and then worry about the care she is receiving.

10. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Interesting, guys. The folks I've talked to have always said that AI throws smaller litters. I wonder if it's related to the kind of AI that is done.

11. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Hey there thanks for that. I have not seen or heard form 50. I am concerned:(

12. nc_pitbullmommy

nc_pitbullmommy Big Dog

I did an AI with my female Doberman last year but it didn't take. I think the 12 year old stud I was wanting to use had something to do with that though lol
    I know with the AKC a litter born from an AI has to have a special registration....so might be something you wanna look into prior to actually doing it. I'm not sure if the ADBA (UKC, AADR, et al) require special registration or not.

13. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

I did a AI too and it didn't take. The timing on the ovulation has to be perfect. The reason I did mine was because I did not want to ship my dog across the country and I really like this male. Would I do it again? Probably when I get the money.

14. I wonder if it is possible, or what the process would be for doing an at-home AI with frozen semen. Does it need to be slow-thawed or not? At what ideal temp. would you want for insertion? I can understand the ease of at-home AI with fresh semen...but what about the frozen stuff???

I am considering this because I am in Okinawa Japan and have yet to find a Vet who does AI....and I am considering a stud out of either LA or St. Louis.

15. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

We didn't work with the frozen, ours was chilled. My vet did the first one for me at his house. We did the next one ourselves. Since ours was chilled, it only had to be brought up to body temperature for insertion. I would think ideally that you would preferably have access to a microscope so as to be able to check a sample of the sperm to see if it was wiggling around or not and then do the insertion We did not use this method. Now that I look back I think I should have done everything in his office to be sure the sperm was viable and all.
    My breeder was more than fair. There was no fee if nothing took. I paid for the ai kits and the shipping and the collection of her dog.Under $300 but no guarrantees.
    I have another breeder that had frozen sperm from a long dead dog surgically implanted in her bitch and that did not take either. Now you know she spent some change on that one. If I remember correctly it was about $3000. Definitely not in my budget.

16. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

Hi, as for pro or cons , not to sure, but I always have and will continue doing it the old fashioned way, the only way i might consider doing an AI, is if, the dog is this super specimen , with an excellent pedigree and proven and im %100 of what im getting and because he is out of state, I would have to. I guess i want to be sure what im paying for, you dont know what they might send you lol...........