1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Agree Or Dissagree?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by clutch billups, Mar 25, 2007.

1. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

i have been doing a little research and as you all know everybody agrees that BYB'S breed for looks and size among other things, well in doing that they loose things like temperment right? well that being said take a bull type dog thats human agressive do you think that the fact that it has at least some true game dog blood in it will keep it from turning on its owner?
    i mean as far as i know back in the day when dogs were rolling the owner had to be able to grab the dog and if it bit the owner it was destroyed, so is it a coin flip or do you think even a poorly bread dog will be true to its owner but not necessarily other people even family?

2. NC

NC CH Dog

Well I don't know about anyone else's dogs.. but I have 2 from byb's even though 2 of them are rescues.. and they are a bit scatterbred... but both are bred decent on one side and scattered on the other. I've had 1 semi problem with any human aggression and that was not a real problem. See my wife slapped my leg when I was laying in my recliner with Cheyenne, Cheyenne looks up, looks at me and then at my wife... the my wife slaps my leg again and I yell like it hurts and Cheyenne snaps at her.. So i don't blame her it was our fault. And its never happened again.

3. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

I think more of the problem is in the handling and I only say this because I have never had one of my own bite me in a dangerous way. I have had mutts and purebreds and I have had them go after other people but oddly enough not my pits....I think though that a dog bred FOR temperament is more well rounded and a little more predictable..

4. clutch billups

clutch billups Big Dog

ive never had problems with my own dogs either but ive heard a lot a of guff about "mutt dogs" but never heard about them biting owners just other people but on that note ive read "lists" about dogs that turn on there owners but i dont even think the apbt was even on it and considering all the misidentifyd "pit bull" bites that happen id say thats pritty good

5. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

Well, based on my own experiences I have found that mutts are more likely, but not of my own...That being said, I can't truely lean one way or the other..

Yes, I agree.. That is still pretty good considering...

6. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I think there are different factors and you really can't blame a poor temperament on one thing. Environment plays a role, but a sound dog can go through hell and still never bite anybody. On the flip side, an unsound dog can't be turned into a sound dog by even the most loving environment. Poor breeding doesn't necessarily result in an unsound dog, but it could. And not all game dogs were euthed if they showed human aggression, unfortunately. So there's no sure thing. And then there are some dogs that are just hardwired wrong and nobody knows why it happens. Going with a well-bred dog should increase your chances of getting a good temperament, but its not surefire simply because of all the factors involved.

7. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

Yeah, That's what I meant to say..LOL

8. wheezie

wheezie Big Dog

my byb dog dosnt like mexicans, dont reallly understand it to tell you the truth he has no problem with white or black folks but for some reason he is verry weary of mexicans

9. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

well to me a dog that is a manbiter or a unstable dog has no place in any home,let alone a home with children.regardless of what breed it is or whether it is a byb mutt or not bottom line is if i don't trust em they get a bullet.

10. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

Do you think a manbiter is more likely to be a mutt or a purebred, or is it just a toss up???

11. Phebes

Phebes Guest

Before we moved to the woods we lived in suburban neighborhood. I heard all this yelling one day and went out back to find my female Phoebe had treed a crew of latinos who where trimming trees. Had a terrible time getting them out of the tree. Even after I put Phoebe away they still were afraid and wouldn't come down.

12. Michele

Michele Guest

A HA dog, IMO, should never be bred.

Oldtimer: I hear where you are coming from. I agree to a point. I think each case is different, and should be handled accordingly.

13. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

a man biting dog can be any breed of dog any mix of dog,size of dog just anydog in general has the propensity to bite.

14. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

what do you mean?

15. Michele

Michele Guest

Say you see a dog in a shelter environment. The dog is not familar with it's surroundings, is scared and goes to bite. In this case, I don't think the dog should be put down.

Say there is a dog running loose, a bunch of kids go up to the dog, surround the dog. The dog gets aggressive, out of fear and goes to bite. In this case, I don't think the dog should be put down.

Someone on here posted a situation where his dog bit him by accident. I don't remember the thread. In this case, the dog should not be put down either.

16. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Honestly, I'm going to say purebred. Why? Because those are typically the dogs that puppymills and BYBs are breeding to make money. Mutts are usually oops litters or born from strays which isn't generation after generation of breeding without regard to temperament. Although now there are all those damn "designer dogs" so I guess that evens things out. :rolleyes: Of course, no matter what kind of dog it is, there is always a chance of getting an unstable dog. JMHO...

OldTimer, I have to ask out of curiousity, if you had gotten your hands on some dogs like Bullyson, Zebo, Chinaman, (Gamblers) Virgil, Bolio, etc. (who either outright bit people or redirected their bite in the pit) would you have culled them?

17. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

interesting question

18. ericschevy

ericschevy Big Dog

That totally makes sense!!!!!!

19. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

yeah i would have culled them.i don't belive in owning manbiters no matter how game they are.a lot of folks wouldn't feel this way but i do.to me a dog ain't worth the price of the feed or worth wasting my time if he bites the hand that feeds him.

20. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

ok i can see the shelter thing to me a dog like that needs to be given a chance but if he still pulls the same tricks when you get him home for a while then it needs to be culled.i can see a excite biter because they nip to get you to turn loose of em.the children i am having problems with that,i could understand if they children were hitting the dog or kicking it or something cause it to go in defense mode but i wouldn't give it a chance if it just started biting because some kids circled the dog.kids do that all the time and a dog shouldn't bite a child just for that reason.hell i know my kids used to gang up on my dogs all the time and they loved it,the more the merrier for them but they had rock solid temperments.biters are touchy issues for me because i won't will not be to quick to give a biter any chance.now like my new rotties who are trained for this work i will tolerate them.but they are still rock solid around my grandkids and they are even trustworthy around strangers as long as i am there.