1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Aggressiveness

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by cenonfrancis, Oct 22, 2004.

1. On the book I read, it says turn the puppy carefully on its back on the floor and hold him for about 30 seconds and if it starts growling means to say he is aggressive and if he doesn't growl and only tries to get up he is not aggressive. I tried it couple of times and he really growls and tries to snap at me. Is there anyway that I could take that aggressiveness away?

thanks, Cenon

2. Roland64

Roland64 Pup

Cenon, what book did you read that out of? I'm not disputing it but I know my dog does the same but he's only playing. I rough house w/ him all the time and he barks and snips but when I'm through playing he knows it and stops acting aggressive. Plus you don't want your dog to be a totall cur do you? Probably one of the most reliable tests is the food bowl test. See if you can pet him while he is eating. If he starts growling or getting aggressive than you might have a problem. Remember you have a pit bull, they are genetically "programmed" to have some fight in them. I'd be pissed if my dog didn't try to get aggressive when pinned down on his back. Just my two cents.

3. The magazine was called "Bully Breeds" i think?

thanks, Cenon

4. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“On the book I read, it says turn the puppy carefully on its back on the floor and hold him for about 30 seconds and if it starts growling means to say he is aggressive and if he doesn't growl and only tries to get up he is not aggressive.”

I’m assuming you are trying to do a temperament assessment yourself. How old is the pup in question? That part of the test you are testing the dog to see the degree’s of dominance or submissive tendency. How it will accept stress when socially and/or physically dominated. You must also keep in mind pit bulls are very playfully dogs, and if you have had the dog for awhile (enough time to bond) you will not get an accurate reading on him with these types of test.

5. SSandecki

SSandecki Pup

Either way, if you put me on my back and hold me down I'm growling at you to! But don't forget, maybe the ground is uncomfortable to him, there are many factors I can think of that could give you an unaccurate reading with this method.

6. I would bite you to if you put me on my back.And I think what you read is a crock of sh%t.IF he demostrates agressiveness when you are out like growling or trying to go for other dogs that would indicated he is agressive.When you had him on his back you probably made him think you were trying to hurt him and that is why he did that out of being scared or anxiety.Best not do that when he is older or you might not have limbs or fingers.

I have put my dog on his back before and he did nothing like that.Probably because I have had him since he was under 4 weeks old.