1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on living in the country?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bahamutt99, Aug 3, 2007.

1. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

The husband and I are trying to buy this place that's out a ways in a neighboring county. Its an 8-year-old doublewide mobile on 6 acres, surrounded by trees and brush. (We've gone out to see the place a few times, and you really cannot see your neighbors. Its perfect. Great spot to raise a few dogs.) Everything is looking promising so far, but I've got some questions.

My questions stem from the fact that I've never lived anywhere but the suburbs, so I don't know how rural folks deal with these issues. The first thing I've noticed is that once word got around that the place was empty, people started dumping their old appliances there. In the last few weeks, someone dropped a fridge in the front yard. :mad: And Lonney said he saw a spot back in the brush where someone had dumped a washer and dryer, although that could've been the previous owners' doing.

We want to put up some kind of barrier out front to keep people from being able to drive up in the yard. (Hubby wants an iron fence, and I'm thinking big-ass rocks spaced where folks can't drive between them.) I'm also wondering about the legalities of using firearms to deter trespassers. I'm not keen to actually kill somebody or incur legal problems, but I also figure in an area without a fast police response, people have to take care of themselves to an extent. I've seriously considered having a sign made advising people that trespassing will be handled with force. What do you guys think?

I'm also wondering what people do with their trash. I know there are companies that will service rural areas for higher rates, but what do most people do? Burn it? Bury it? Dump it on the nearest empty property? :rolleyes: Also, when you have a septic system, is it true that all you generally have to do is put that Rid-x stuff in it? (Sounds too good to believe.)

Any help is appreciated. I already figure that rural life isn't the idyllic scenario I've built it up to be, but its got to be a damn sight better than where we live now. :)

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

For some, rural living means anything goes. For others, rules of civilization still apply. ;)

Personally, I would put up horse fencing (the wire fencing) to surround the 6 acres. It's inexpensive and would define your land from that of neighboring land. Post several "No Trespassing" signs and the ones that state that "violators will be prosecuted to the furthest extent of the law" are even better. Homemade signs saying trespassors will be shot are acceptable as well (at least here they are). As for the front yard, I would personally try to fence it in, but you can try the boulder idea if you want. I will warn you that those giant rocks/stones/boulders are expensive!

As for trash pick-up, you will need to find out if the service is offered. We have to pay $92 every 3 months for ours and it's only a once a week pick-up compared to the $40-50 fee every 3 months for twice weekly pick-up plus a recylcing bin for Baton Rouge residents. We actually just got trash service as we had been taking our trash elsewheres for the past 3 years. However, keep in mind that it is illegal to dump your trash in a private dumpster (no matter how inviting it may seem) and trips to the dump cost you each time.

However, I think it sounds perfect! So good luck with y'alls decision. :)

bahamutt99 likes this.
  3. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I wouldn't load your property up with too many signs...sometimes it invites more attention from neighboring troublemakers. Maybe a NO SOLICITING at the mailbox and another NO TRESPASSING should do. Definitely horse fencing to define your property line. If you have the money for the rocks they would look nice...
    Trash...I'd compost some and burn whatever else...scope out the nearest dumpsite, too. We don't pay for trash service, my husband just takes it in the pickup every 2-3 days. We have no charge here and it's right up the road. Keep up with burn bans, though...during dry seasons the county WILL check up to be sure nobody's burning. Usually local news stations let you know or call the county.
    Septic...use rid ex once a month and keep at least a thousand dollars saved or available in case of emergency. Call a plumbing service and ask about any yearly maitenence deals they may have (some may come pump your tank for standard fee and guarantee no problems for a couple years or something.). I HIGHLY recommend having someone come out BEFORE there is a problem- do you know how long it's been since it's been looked at? Same goes for your heat pump- keep money available in savings or on a credit card for emergencies. Check out home owners warranties...some will cover such expenses for a premium of about 500 dollars/year.

Hope this helps ;)

4. Dtwo

Dtwo Big Dog

OMG - it does sound perfect! Do it - do it! You won't regret it, especially if you know the drawbacks and prepare for them ahead of time.
    I definately speak from experience - we went from 2 acres to 10 and we love it.
    Yours sounds better though because we have very few trees. It's mostly open farm land so we just invested 6 grand in some privacy fencing. I'll send you some pictures.
    Septic system: Since the place is only 8 years old, you should be in good shape. Some people say yeast, some say ridx but we just recently had ours pumped out and got some tablets from the septic guy that you just flush once per month. Since you have a septic system, I'm assuming you'll have well water and a softener system too. Get the water tested and taste it - one thing I think I could not live with is sulfer (rotten egg) water that comes out of some wells. Fortunately, ours does not stink but it has a very heavy iron and mineral content - so much so that the dogs will not drink it and even through the softener system I only use it for washing and bathing. So for drinking and cooking I use bottled water and the dogs get bottled water as well. We are using about 30 gallons a week - I have those 5 gallon water bottles that I take to Meijer and refill them in the Culligan water station for $.29 a gallon. Eventually maybe we'll invest in a new reverse osmosis system, but for now it's not to much of a hassle going once a week.
    Trash: We are allowed to burn in our county so we have a 55 gallon drum for burning paper products. We just accumulate paper/cardboard in a garbage can and we burn it once it's full. Some people have fire pits and just throw everything in there and set it on fire when it's full. You could also build a compost for some food scrap items - fruit/vegetable waste, egg shells, etc.
    Otherwise we have a trash pick-up service with a couple options - $78 for 3 months, 6 bags a week allowed picked up weekly. We just had a full size mattress and boxspring picked up and they charged us $25.
    Ordinances: Whatever you do, make sure you check the local dog laws and ordinances! The last thing you want to do is move and then find out there is a 3 dog per household limit.
    Neighbors: I think that once you are living there and people know you won't have much trouble. Is the property empty now? People in rural areas pretty much know everything that's going on, lol. So if someone is living there, I don't think they'd be so bold as to tresspass. I'm not a fan of signs myself - I think it draws more attention.

bahamutt99 likes this.
  5. 440rider

440rider Guest

bahama,
    would never live anywhere beyond the country.....
    garbage can be burned, taken to your location of employment or have trash collection at a fee..not included as in utilities in the city. As far as firearms and signs as stated in prior posts we also belive too many signs draw attention......sherriff stated that in order for some one to be considered tresspassing for them to be called out the property has to be posted and the person tresspassing has to be verbally warned prior to calling...as far as law on someone trespassing to intend harm, well the law has just changed into a no flee ..hence, if someone comes to your land to harm you, you do not have to flee in order to avoid a situation you have right to protect your land/person with deadly force (we have concealed weapons permits and there aren't any shooting restrictions). Check with your county ordinace on the prior statement.

As far as fencing we have 5 strand barb wire in the horse pasture land and around our property (this is the cost efficient way to go to keep people out and perimeter your land). I'd also fence in your dog yard if you have multiple dogs with pasture fence topped with barb wire to exceed 6ft.

To address the dumping trash....I'd look for a different location to live there is a difference between country folks and white trash!

Some say rual living is anything goes.....and some still apply rules of civilization.......just a heads up, treat those as you want to be treated, mind your own business and let it be know that you want others to mind theirs as well. Keep your dogs secure and well maintained and you'll fit in well.

Little story for you on how some things are handled livin in the country...

Had a fella out to the house was talking about not liking bulldogs we got to discussing and it was due to his dog being mauled by the neighbors loose "pitbull" said he had a 7yr old blue heeler that worked his cattle for him, one day had a call from his wife that there was a bulldog mauling his poor heeler behind the house. Time he got home the dog was pretty banged up and his wife had run the bulldog off, well, he took the dog to the vet to the tune of $600. He told me he knew who's dog it was stated a few mexicans live up the way and he knew of this dog, so he went home grabbed the shotgun and went to collect his $600. Told me when he arrived their were 5 people sitting outside with the dog on a chain sitting by them. He then asked whose dog it was and one of the fellas stated it was his, he then told them what happend and they denied it was their dog that did it and shrugged him off. He stated the damage that was done to his animal was $600 and the owner of the dog was gonna pay up, he then asked again, who's dog is this and the man changed his story, this time he said the dog wasnt his. So the fella there to collect his loot said no one owns this dog and they stated no....he shot it dead right there in front of everyone!

No matter what breed of dog you own be responsible and honest with people it goes a long way and most of what you will find in "country" people is a helping hand and honesty. Too many threads i've been reading where ppl look for a way around securing a dog the proper way and we all pay as APBT owners for their short comings. This breed is in bad shape because of irresponsible people. These are dogs people treat them as such and they will do well by you...learn the breed before you decide if it's right for you!

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  6. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Bear with me here, guys. First time homebuyer, and I know jack about it. LOL. So I don't know about water softeners or anything like that re: the septic system. I'll copy all this down, though, and discuss it with the menfolk involved.

Mia - Those prices for trash service actually aren't too bad. Could be doable. I'll have to see what they charge around here. As is, the trash company for where we live now also only picks up once per week, and we deal with it. Thanks for the heads-up on the rocks. I figured they'd be cheaper than an iron fence for the front, but maybe the latter would be better in the long run.

I think there is already wire fencing around at least part of the property. I didn't walk out to the property line since it was all overgrown, but it looked pretty clearly-defined.

Luvin - I was toying with one big sign on a tree near the driveway. In a fit of goofiness, I decided it should say "No tresspassing, no solicitations, no dumping, no hunting. No barking at the dogs. (It makes you look stupid.) Premises secured by Ruger 45." But I figure that's probably a bit much. LOL Oh yeah, I don't know when the septic system was looked at last. Its a foreclosure home, so we'll probably have someone check it out.

Dtwo - the very FIRST thing I checked was ordinances. There are none for the area I'm moving into. We actually didn't want to leave Bixby, but their cutoff is 3 dogs, which would've brought my very near plans to a halt. Yeah, the property has been empty for a year, so I guess a few appliances isn't bad. In the city it would have been broken into and vandalized.

440rider - We're going to do privacy fencing around a portion of the yard near the house. Plus the dogs are going to have individual runs well inside that fence. So combine that with the wire fencing around the perimeter, there will be 3 barriers to get to our dogs. And I totally agree with the minding-my-own-business thing. That's why life in suburbia doesn't agree with me. I need privacy. And they wont have to worry about my animals. Most likely they wont even know I have them.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! One question (for whoever) on the compost thing. Does it stink? Attract animals?

7. I have not read all posts, but some.....

Septic..I agree with Luvinbullies, keep some money back for that need be time, you never know....and it should be looked at before you move in...A lot of realtors and banks will have things done for you to suit your needs.

Trash, most country side is able to burn, but check to make sure, we use a barrel (metal) it is great, drill a bunch of holes in the bottom and a few around the sides up to about 15 inches (for rain drainage and ventilation)
    Yes, watch for burning laws when dry weather is around....shouldnt be too bad...

THE TRASH IN YOUR YARD CURRENTLY..the banker or real estate should have this removed upon your request...I would ask! I dont think I have come across a plce that would not do it for you Foreclosure or not...I think most of the laws and regulations apply for OK as well, I would def ask.

I think signs are great, but like was said NOT TOO MANY, it draws more attention.
    Depending on your laws, you could have a sign like we did.....
    TRESSPASSERS NOT WELCOME
    (if caught) YOU WILL BE SHOT
    (if still alive), PROSECUTED AS WELL
    The cool thing about where we lived is, even the neighbors could shoot someone on your property if you were not home or whatever, all it boiled down to was them having permission......COUNTRY IS GREAT!!
    They could be shot by a sign hanging up on any open invited part of the property....if they could walk in or drive in and there was a sign ...you can shoot...If there was no sign, you could not.....check your laws!

Good luck to you on this deal, I hope it all goes well for you. I cant wait to move back into the country it is great living.....neighbors are usually great as well.....more than willing to help when need be..if you socialize...

bahamutt99 likes this.
  8. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Nah not stinky- keep it at the back of your property and use it for fertilizer after it "cooks" down. Watch your earthworms, they can act as a timer as they churn it-you can also put leaves n' such in with it. Smells more like wet dirt after awhile. You can put your dog poo in it too- I've put that and horse manure in composting before and it really works it well. If you have any old metal dog crates you don't use, you can turn them upright with the door facing the sky and dump your composting in there, close the cage top at night to keep out animals, but since it's biodegradeable -not just trash- anything animals pick out of it they will take off and completely consume, not throw in your yard. Putting your dog poo in it should keep most at bay.

Here is an informative "how to" on composting doggie poo by University of Alaska :D:

http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/compost/dogs.html

9. idgie

idgie Big Dog

hi lindsay,
    i'd pay to have a good inspection before you plunk down your cash. listen to what they say about the condition of everything and then re-evaluate. everything that could break or go wrong with my place, did, and it cost me a lot the first year i was here.

just to add my 2 cents on some of your Q's: the septic tank definitely needs to be inspected before you move in. then have it serviced and follow the recommendations. my septic drain field failed after a couple years and cost a couple thousand to fix.

compost doesn't smell bad, i have it right behind my house near the garden, but i personally would never put anything in there that was ever meat in there (including dog poop). just veggies and plant materials, leaves, stuff like that.

if there's no trash pickup for the appliances, you'll have to take them to a dump, but in many places there's a charge to dump stuff. you'll need a truck too, for taking care of stuff like that, if you don't have one.

my biggest gripe with the country is propane. it's too damn expensive and generally a pain in the ass. how is your place heated? and what about water - is there a well? i'd have that checked too - drilling a new one is hella expensive.

in terms of trespassers, it's not legal to shoot anyone who comes on your property. the law generally is that you can only use force that's proportional to the threat - like if you're being shot at, you can shoot. that's why people plant guns and such on intruders that get shot in the back, lol. i'm not giving you legal advice here though, just saying to be careful! remember how a buckshot booby-trap got someone in real trouble? ;)

country living requires being resourceful and learning to do a lot of stuff yourself. but to me, it's all worth it to have some privacy. good luck with it!

bahamutt99 likes this.
  10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Build a nice size burn pit, out back, surrounded by wire mesh (to keep things from falling out) and burn everything you can. All metal, store it somewhere and turn it in when you've got a lot. Scrap prices are always rising ;)

A nice sign for living in the country is "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.". A few rounds in the air, is enough to make most trespassers high tail it out. They don't know where those rounds are going, and you're not going to hurt anyone. So long as you are far enough out, without too many neighbors, it shouldn't be illegal to discharge a firearm. I'd suggest a mini-14. Great farm guns, last forever, fairly accurate for the ammo, packs a punch and is cheap to shoot. If anyone ever does make it into the home for less than ideal purposes, it is also small enough to manuever through hallways. You are going to be going through walls if you miss, but it's not like you're shooting a 30-30. Inside the home, a pump shotgun works as well. Load the first two shells with salt pellets. Not going to kill anyone, but it will get your point across. If it doesn't the remaining slugs will. It will probably never happen, but it's best to be prepared. The great thing about a nice loud shotgun, is cocking it alone is enough to send most packing...and you don't even need to discharge a round. Tell me your ransacking a house in the early morning, and here someone rack a round into the chamber of a shotty, you aren't running like hell.

I've been trying to get a very similar property for quite some time, so this is all from experience.

What is wrong with the septic? How old is it? Did they simply run a 55 gal. barrel in the ground 10' from the house, or is it a nice system?

Trust me, an external wood burning stove is the way to go. They are very cheap, in the winter you stuff them full of wood before you go to work, and come home and it's still going. Smells great, and outside the house, there is little chance of fire. The setups I've seen, normally have been used to heat up water/antifreeze mixtures, which run through tubes in the floors (i.e. radiant heating, without the boiler). Only fee is the initial purchase, and gas for your chainsaw. It will pay for itself in one cold winter! Dependable...can't go wrong. Did I mention it smells fantastic? :D

If you plan on staying awhile, plant some pine trees in the front yard. They are cheap, side by side, they will completely block the view in a few years ;)

bahamutt99 likes this.
  11. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

Although I don't live in the same town as you, I do live a few towns over (my sister lives in your town). The welded wire fencing is what we used for our 3 acres. It is $50 for 100 feet at Sutherlands in Tulsa and the T-Post were 2.50 or so at Atwoods. Quick to install. As far as shooting stuff, anything goes as long as you are out of the city limits. We even set up a small practice range out back. Just as long as you are careful of your neighbors and such. Here lately we have been hunting opossum about 1 am. As far as trash, we have weekly service that comes for $17 a month. The dog food bags, pop boxes and such, we burn. When we moved out here a yr ago, we found a whole household full of crap spread all over the property, just unburied a side by side fridge, that stuff is all in a big pile and will have to take it to the dump. We have built several dog "yards" behind the house and let them out to run, they love it. You are very luckly to have found this place. Country living will take a little to get use to, we lived in Sand Springs before moving out here. But when you see how happy your dogs are having so much room to run you will know you made the right decision. BTW, no problems with having spring poles hanging from trees, people tend to mind their own business, you don't bother them they don't bother you. Now I could not imagine ever living inside the city limits again.
    PS I would love to get together with you someday and get a look at Loki, that is one beautiful and well trained dog.

bahamutt99 likes this.
  12. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

With regard to the heating, I know its central heat, but I'm not sure what the fuel is. It could be electric, I don't really know. There was central air as well, but someone stole the outside unit during the year this place was empty, so we get to replace that as well. I don't know anything about the septic, either, just that I'm going to want to have somebody look at it after everything I've heard. :)

Pit Palace, maybe someday I'll have a barbecue or something like that out there. If not, maybe I'll see you at a show or something. :) We were originally looking at places in Sand Springs. Found this huge house on 2 acres, but the problem is that everything needed replacing. That place was gutted; no toilets, no drywall, plus wasps had taken it over. We liked it, but we couldn't afford to pay rent where we live now, plus pay a mortgage, while at the same time fixing up the new place so we could move in later down the road. Just not feasible.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to come back later and write up a note sheet with the suggestions.

13. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

well i have lived in the country all my life.i was born in the ozarks and then moved to Texas out into the country,myself i love it and wouldn't think of living anywhere else.first off what you need to do is have your prospective property inspected inside and out.get the home inspected and get the land surveyed to make sure you are in fact getting 6 acres and not 5 or 5 and a half.then go down to city hall and see whats been done to the property see if they have any records of any problems and also get what restrictions you have on it as far as what you can raise on it and such.then what you need to do is sit down together and honestly look at if this is what you really want and do you really want all the hard work that comes with living in the country.if that checks out then comes a few supplys you will need.i would say the essentials would be a good truck no less than a half ton equiped with a spot light,bed liner winch 4 wheel drive and 8 foot bed,a heavy trailer for hauling things around,a nice shotgun 12 guage is my liking but each person is diffrent.i would recomend a new england fire arms parder single shot only shotgun you will ever need for around a farm.very solid can take being thrown around in the truck and such and only cost about 100 dollars then load up on some nice heavy bird shot,buckshot and some slugs.then practice and with them empty shells fill em with rock salt and that can take care of any 2 legged tresspassers.as far as what was dumped on there i would suggest again getting in touch with the city and asking if there is anyone who picks up junk like that for free,you would be suprised how many folks will come and pickup old house hold goods and refurbish them and re sell them.if not then thats where the trailer comes in and just load it up and take it to the dump.as far as trash i go once a week to the dump and get rid of it that way i just load it up in my truck and trailer and away i go with it.as far as fencing everyone knows what i use but a good wood barb wire fence in good for the front with a small gate,just take wood posts space em out and wind barb wire tightly around them.as far as tresspassers and shooting them unless they are going to kill you or harm you you can't do that but a sign that says they can't come in and maybe a nice guard dog might work for you.now as far as septic i use rid-x as marked on the box but i still have it pumped once a year and i have not had any problems so far.any other questions feel free to ask and i will help any way i can for ya.

bahamutt99 likes this.
  14. Dog

Dog Pup

Depends on what state you are in. If you are in texas you can legaly protect property, but in oklahoma you have the castle docterine (sp) you can protect yourself in your house but if you are outside someone has to pull a gun on you even if you are on your property. Check out the "Self defense act" it is in .pdf form on th net.

bahamutt99 likes this.
  15. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

I'm not sure about your area, but up here those appliances are worth their weight in scrap. You drive them over the scales in a metal scrap yard and they'll pay you by the pound for it.

Burn what you can in a metal barrel, but here's a thought. Your scraps of food can be composted but they also can be fed to chickens. This way you get a free supply of fresh eggs and a convenient garbage disposal all in one. ;)

bahamutt99 likes this.
  16. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I thought about raising chickens, but I think I'll have enough to do with the dogs. :)

I'm reading all these posts, seriously. Just got back in town this evening, so I'm wiped. I'll come back and review later.

17. dogged

dogged Big Dog

I grew up living in the country. I still live in the country, but I wish I was even more rural than I am now.

As far as fencing goes, we've always used cheap cow fence.

We've only had one issue with our septic in the seven years I've been in this house. The previous owners hadn't had it cleaned in God knows when, so we had to have it cleaned out professionally one time. Our whole septic system is very old but still works like a charm.

We get ours taken by a garbage company. Three months for $60.

And I've never had a big problem with people messing with me. Everyone here minds their own business for the most part. The only problem I've had is people coming to the house because their car broke down, seeing as we're the closest to the road.

You're lucky to have central heat and air! We didn't have any for the first two years we lived in the house.

Enjoy it, Lindsay!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
    bahamutt99 likes this.
  18. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

19. DeadEyeDick

DeadEyeDick Banned

Cow fenceing, barbwire all good for property borders but the only way to keep nosey people out and from seeing what you have is a gate and privacy fencing. See with all the other fencing, people can still see into your yard from say the public right away. However with privacy fencing, one would have to look over which in some places is illegal to do..

A shut gate at the driveway also is the best deteriant to someone driving up to the house to be nosey.. and keeps other unwanted guests out lol

I would suggust to privacy fence off where you are keeping your dogs. Its expensive but worth it from prying eyes and other people who say come to read the meter.. do a survey of near by land.. etc etc. Thats what happend to us, our land is fenced off and has trees /bushes all around, hard to see into but some nosey surveyor heard the dogs barking and peeked, reporting to the animal control we had 50 dogs with no shelter or water( funny, we only had about 15 dogs lol) Of course animal control found nothing wrong but it was still a hassle and a waste of time and money on their part that could have gone to saving animals.. To many do gooders this day an age