1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ACL injuries.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 40lbRed, Apr 8, 2009.

1. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

I've noticed that some people mention that their dogs have had ACL surgery. I've never had a dog that needed something like that. What is a frequent cause? Heavy dogs, young dogs, what's the deal?

2. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Not sure what the deal is w/ my dog, but, I think he got it from running around in the yard. Probably partially tore it then.

He took it easy for a while, seemed to get better, then most likely tore it totally playing in the yard again.

In the meantime (inbetween those 2 'incidents') did a weightpull competition where he took 2nd place out of 70 competitors.:)

AP

3. IMPACT631

IMPACT631 Top Dog

usually its from a slight fast left or right turn. like how a foot ball player would move.... my first 2 "pitbulls" had that problem they were bullys... go figure, but none of my APBT had that problem.. i also heard that a Jenni can make hurt he dogs acl also

4. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

what is a 'jenni'?

5. IMPACT631

IMPACT631 Top Dog

6. RedNozeChamp

RedNozeChamp Big Dog

Ive had a Petbull that that happened to from cuttin hard chasing the water, but yes she was mostly bully and very overwieght. I gave her to my mom now shes livin the good life indoors. They will aggrivate it and limp a little. If you dont get that surgery it could get worse because she seemed to favored it so much her muscle was deteriorating. After losing almost 20 lbs shes almost good as new we just dont exersize her other than normal walks. Hope your dog gets better.

7. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Referred to as a cat mill or horse mill. A big wheel with a dog tethered to one side and a hide or whatever the dog likes attached to the other side in front of him. He runs around and around to get the hide. Exercise....
    Was originally used on farms as a source of power to grind corn or something. Here is a working horse mill.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjzwDjEU9rQ

Ones for dogs are usually up off the ground above the dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ZtC8da2EM

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  8. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Tearing an ACL is common with APBT's because most do not protect their body if they are chasing things like a ball or a flirt pole. Just an example is when you throw something for your dog to chase if you watch some breeds they will get the toy but be in control of their whole body while doing it. If you watch a high drive dog or most APBT's they go balls to the wall and slam into everything. We see this type of injury in the agility dogs allot. Not because of agility but because many people play fetch to warm up the dogs and that is when the injury happens.

The flirt pole is another one that can do it. Making them turn too sharp repetitively can do it.

When dogs are over weight it compounds the problem and makes it even more likely.

The bottom line is those injuries can mostly be prevented if you are the brains behind the dog. Watch how you use the flirt pole and play fetch or any other activity. I do not like Jenni's for that reason. The dog can go out of control really fast without thinking about what is going on with his body. I prefer things like a tread mill or slatmill.

Sometimes no matter how careful you are they will still tear an ACL but you can reduce the likelihood by watching how you exercise your dog.

9. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

My dog doesn't have a problem with the ACL, but I wanted to make sure I didn't do something stupid and hurt it. Could it be agrevated by running a a dog on slippery surfaces or hard landings? I'm just trying to understand how this injury occurs.

10. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Yes that will do it. Any twisting, jumping, hard landing, or anything like that could cause a problem. Now you don't have treat them like chinas, they are APBT's and preety bomb proof but just be mindful of things that might not be a good idea. Like letting them chase something on a slick floor or letting them jump too high and they are landing all over the place.

11. GBandy

GBandy Big Dog

Great Post Lisa!!! Word!

12. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

My foster Deeohgee had ACL surgery when she was gone on an adoption that eventually failed. I think there might have been a few factors, besides the fact she is a TOTAL spazz. lol First off, I think the guy didn't excercise her regularly and when she was ''let out'' she'd be so pent up, she'd go full bore, no doubt without any sort of warm up. As well, she is quite ''straight in the stifle'' which is a conformation flaw that can affect athletic ability. Deeohgee is NOT bully at all. In fact, she's always been kept at a healthy weight, and is quite standard in size. Maybe a tad larger than some, but definitely not bully. Here's were conformation does matter. When your not put together properly, it's hard to be an athlete. She's got drive to spare, but could have been given a better put together back end.

13. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

Actually, I had another foster with ACL issues caused by bad structure. She was the poster child for bad breeding. What a friggin' mess. Two luxating patella's, ACL tears, a weak front end and her tibia's were so bowed, surgery would have been a very temporary fix. She was found as a pup, hit by a car so spent most her puppyhood in a cast, only to have it come off and have to be ''confined'' so she wouldn't injure herself until we could figure out if she was fixable. A real shame as this little girl, dispite the discomfort she was no doubt in, was never anything but happy and ready and willing to go. A real testament to the breed in temperment. Just too bad she didn't get a body she deserved. Putting her down was very diffucult. She was with us so long, the kids were VERY attatched to her and Daemon was by her side as she passed. :( She was even goofy up to her last minute. The vet I use for euths drug them first and leave you with them to have your last moments, and here she was, all doped up, just hamming it up for everyone, rollin on her back, givin' paws... lol.... Most the dogs I euthed were out of it after they were drugged up. Not her. Still a little firecracker. lol Run free Ava. I wish your breeder realized structure is about more than lookin' pretty.

[​IMG]