1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Acerage

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by badkarma, Jun 12, 2010.

1. badkarma

badkarma Pup

Hi, i am looking into investing in some land pretty soon, i am interested in knowing the necessary amount of land for running a dog kennel, how much land do you own and how many dogs is it holding ?

2. fblb

fblb Top Dog

That would entirely depend on what exactly you wanted to do with it, how many animals you are looking to have, the yard set up, and many other things such as location/neighbors and things of that nature.

3. badkarma

badkarma Pup

country-side, chain set-ups & 5 whelping boxes and a min. of 35 max of 56 dogs

4. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

yer going to have one hell of time with that down here

5. badkarma

badkarma Pup

what makes you say that

6. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

its a bad time in the south to want to start a minimum 35dog yard.

are you going to be living on this land or is it strictly for the dogs?

7. badkarma

badkarma Pup

living on it

8. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Big Dog

Its a bad time to be a dogman period in the south. Its so underground the Devil don't even know the special knock to get in the door. Lol . Also a kennel is somthing one feels like doing on a limb. It will take more Dedication than raising your children so think wisely and be smart about it.

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Big Dog

Sorry typo it isn't not is.

10. badkarma

badkarma Pup

thanks for the word of advice tommygunn

11. Tommygunn

Tommygunn Big Dog

No prob BK. Just be careful and don't believe any hyoe unless ya see it with your own two eyes.

12. badkarma

badkarma Pup

10-4- will keep that in mind w/ many more dog years to go :)

13. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

To be frank, if you are feeding 50 dogs you better have some one to help care take full time.If I were you I would have no more than 15 at a time they will have better care taking and you will have fewer culls to go threw, It can be done to have that amount but its a full time job. think of your dogs like your bank acct the more you put in to them the better your return will be.and no matter what people say ther is no money in dogs so dont get on the wagon thinking you will be able to sell dogs to make that your income. if you do that you will find out fast its a hard knock life. My self if I go to a yard with that amount any more most of the time every thing looks like shit and it just screams to me RUN away dont walk Run.

14. fblb

fblb Top Dog

Me myself I personally wouldn't have an operation near that big....Like Triple J pointed out quality suffers when you start getting to that amount of dogs, and it's only you. For a number like that it would have to be a family affair, and personally I don't want my family in my business like that. I would concentrate on quality rather than quantity. Ten to 15 dogs will keep you busy enough if you are doing things correctly, and you most likely will be more honest with your dogs than if you have a huge kennel simply for the the time factor. Keep it small, and keep it honest. Remember, big kennel = big name, more often than not.

15. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

as stated- the south in general is a ~bad~ place to even think about ~starting a yard~ in this day and age. more than a dozen dogs and questions arise. and dont be fooled into thinking that if you put them out in the deep woods you wil be ok-the prying eyes are everywhere, high and low (just google earth your own property to see what i mean...my father in MT could tell me how many cars i was building using this simple tool)
    i personally have far less than a dozen dogs-but have a full time person here taking care of them and the birds while i am at work....and im in the country on the corner of the family farm