1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

AAFCO admits rendered pets in pet food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Beatrix Kiddo, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here....

AAFCO Admits Rendered Pets in Pet Food - Bullmarket French Bulldogs

[​IMG]

When I first wrote an article years ago stating that some pet food companies were using the rendered remains of euthanized pets in their food (under the ingredient designation “meat and bone meal”), I got some pretty nasty email from people telling me I was either insane, or a liar.
    For those who were still on the fence, here*s a just released video of AAFCO*s president finally admitting, on camera, that it*s allowable (and, in fact, fairly common practice) for rendered pets to end up in pet food.

[video=youtube;RuoSxSJ94RY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuoSxSJ94RY[/video]

AAFCO, by the way, is short for The Association of American Feed Control Officials, and is the regulatory body that sets guidelines for pet food and pet food ingredients in the USA. They could quite easily ban the use of rendered pets as acceptable for inclusion in pet food * but they don*t, because pet food companies value the cheap protein count that comes from rendered meat and bone meal.
    What else can be rendered and made into “meat and bone meal”? Euthanized pets, road kill, expired grocery store meat (including the packaging), kill floor detritus, dead stock… etc.
    Ethical considerations aside (and they are numerous, in my opinion), rendered pets (and horses) bring something else along with them * trace amounts of the chemicals used to kill them.
    This is no minor matter * the Veterinary Industry takes this risk seriously enough to have studied barbiturate levels in pet foods, and to have assessed them as a risk to pets who consume them. Trace barbiturates consumed by pets create a tolerance level which has decreased overall effectiveness of barbiturates, making dosing pets increasingly difficult for veterinarians. Additionally, the chemicals used in euthanasia are, obviously, deadly.

Dr. Patty Khuly has an excellent article on this topic here *

The truth about pet foods and rendering | petMD
    As I*ve been saying for years — It really, really DOES pay to read the label.

2. Forever-So REAL

Forever-So REAL Quintuple Grand Champion

I'm trying to get this raw feeding down that's some nasty shit don't want my dogs eating that
    Thank for the info.

3. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

thats why i dont fuck with old roy or super cheap dog foods. i doubt purina or diamond would use shit like that. im not against feeding horse meat thou.

4. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

He said "fluffy" lol

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Glad I feed raw.... lol

6. redwar

redwar Big Dog

Soilent Green!

7. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

Now ya'll know were them SPCA's and PETA's making their money, selling all them killed animals and dead Pit Bulldogs to the dog food market. That's why they always looking for animals to kill, lots of money in selling dead pet carcases to dog food companies.

8. Kelticwarrior

Kelticwarrior Top Dog

9. JayW

JayW Big Dog

I guess the only thing that bothers me about the process is the lack of disclosure and outright lying over it. I might be the only one and may catch hell for saying so..... but aside from the issue already mentioned I have no problem with them using horse, dog, cat or baby spinner dolphin as long as they inform the consumer, (which they won't) of what they are getting for their dollar. I fed kibble for years.... and the reason I quit is because I felt they were lying about what went in the bag. I tried numerous high end feeds on the recommendations of others and invariably I came to the same conclusion. I'll feed raw save money, enjoy healthier dogs and whatever the kibble crooks.

10. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

11. Carson

Carson Pup

12. ABD456

ABD456 Big Dog

hectic but believable and imaginable. I even heard of horse and donkey ending up in human food. All in the name of profits.

13. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...it has been all-ways this way every-where spec:the bone meal in all pet foods....,i'v used horse/donkey...and any other meat to feed my dogs...never any problems..the amount off chemicals and anti-biotics/etc/etc in human food is the same so where do ya go from here...it would be the chemicals/etc i would have concern about.....

14. siccen

siccen Big Dog

Soylent Green is right. I'm glad I feed raw to!