1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A question about line breeding

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by redripper, Feb 11, 2007.

1. redripper

redripper Big Dog

Basically my question is, when line breeding, how close is too close. In otherwords, at what point will it begin to affect the quality of dog you produce in a negative way i.e. produce faults and such. I've seen some breeders that breed bellymates but I've always heard that such a breeding is probably too close, particularly if there is already alot of inbreeding present in the dogs peds. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. Attila

Attila Guest

If you search the Archive you will find this answer and much more about line breeding and inbreeding.

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

When the the dogs produced are showing more negative qualities than postive ones, it's time to take a step back.

4. perfect reply.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="70%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat>vBulletin Message</TD></TR><TR><TD class=panelsurround align=middle>
    <!-- main error message -->
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to miakoda again.

<!-- / main error message -->​

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5. redripper

redripper Big Dog

thanks for the replies guys. I'll check the archive too.

6. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Inbreeding shows the hidden traits. If you breed bellymates, and 80% of the litter is flawed, you are simply seeing what is in the dogs. Do the same breeding again, same result, s/n the dogs. Like Attila said, do a search.

7. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

If your breeding a line that is known to carry many genetic defects by itself, even if hidden in your specimins, you could very well have a problem breeding 1/2 brother to 1/2 sister. Then, there are lines which can stand to be inbred to the point of the family tree being basically just a straight line down, with little to no side-effects if using the correct specimins from the line, and culling with a knowledgable eye.