1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A.P.B.T & Law Enforcement.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by LAW - DAWG, Feb 1, 2010.

1. dajuice

dajuice Big Dog

Re: A.P.B.T & Law Enforcement.

Pat claims she's a dog thief, That's more then enough to give her the gas face!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
  2. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

BB, you know i love ya , but i dont agree with your statement on people would know if it was or wasnt a police dog, unless you guys use a different method of training to us, they are fine, ive been around a few Belgians , and gsd,s trained for Police work, SAR work and Australian SAS dogs, and when they knew they were not working they were a playfull stable animal, more than most people that own the same breeds as pets. when the dogs knew they were working however, you had no chance whatsoever.
    i was dumb enough to aproach a dog i had been around since it was a pup, thinking she wouldnt do anything and i couldnt get within range of the cage on the vehicle she was in. i was warned and still i was gutted.

3. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Obviously I'm not speaking on behalf of all K9's in the country, but there are very many K9's that are, to put it bluntly, half-assed trained and a down right danger to be around. They disrespect their handlers, and don't know the difference between "Get him!" and "Out!" With that being said, one bad apple may very well spoil the bunch, and if one of these half-ass trainers gets their hands on an APBT to train as a K9, the dog could very well get out of hand [being trained for HA and all], which would lead to even worse stigma for the breed. "Rabid pit bull police dog mauls fellow officer!"

4. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

true that Blau, and to top it off, everyone will see it as a monster dog cuz theres no way the training was faulty:rolleyes:

5. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

Blau, i agree with you but , how half arsed are the guys training the dogs or even worse how half arsed is the selection criteria, if dogs like that are even able to become working k9 dogs? i would be just as sceptical of the handler or the entire force for that matter if their dogs are not of the best standard.
    we have far from the greatest law enforcement in the world in my country , but such an unpredictable dog wouldnt even get near passing the test if they were anything like that. Dirt naps.

6. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Aah, I stand corrected, I didn't even take that into consideration.
    I hope that APBT's as bite-work K9's remain a 'small' thing though; not just for the fact that only well qualified trainers would be the ones training them, but I'd hate to see them used everywhere, because if something did happen, it'd be hell for the entire breed.

7. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Nah, junkyard, you misunderstood my post. I am saying that as a police k9, an APBT would be in the public eye. Some police departments (like my city) even have websites dedicated to the k9 teams. I am not questioning the temperament or behavior of a APBT patrol dog, but I am saying how ugly is it going to look when one of these dogs tags a criminal as they should? The police k9s in my city are always at dog related events and doing demonstrations all the time (state fair, pig bowl, etc) but we only have GSDs and Mals here.

No one knows my dog does bite work unless I want them to know, which is why I say it is a very low key sport that doesn't show our dogs in a negative light as much as people claim it does. And I know what you mean about these dogs knowing when it is time to work. Benny knows when he gets put up in the crate and is wearing his harness, it's go time and he has one thing on his mind!

8. simpson

simpson Big Dog

9. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

ok bb sorry my bad;)

10. Colby Eli

Colby Eli Big Dog

Diane Jessup is an idiot
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

11. Blau

Blau Big Dog

Why do most people on here hate her? Honestly, I don't know lol.

12. Colby Eli

Colby Eli Big Dog

Dog thief :)
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">