1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A License to own a Pitbull?

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Lethalpits, Dec 10, 2006.

1. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

This is true, many dog-owners shouldnt own an animal. HOWEVER its no ones say to tell them they can't. The only thing you can do is watch whose hands your dogs get into, and educate.

2. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I'm hoping no one is getting the wrong idea of this thread and assuming I support any type of BSL.

The point of this thread was for places and cities that are already victims of BSL and trying to propose a solution.

3. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

IMO it's a bad idea. Here's why - you need a license to drive a car right? Licenses are supposed to keep kids from driving right? But how many ppl out there right now as we speak - both kids & adults - are driving on w/o a license?? Tons of them. TONS. So having an "APBT license" is not going to work. It will only hurt the law abiding citizen & will do nothing to curb irresponsible ownership.

JMHO ...

4. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

The liscencing of "pitbulls" is a clear-cut case of BSL. BSL=Breed Specific Legislation. That means any legislation which seperates one breed of canine from another, is bsl. Its not as severe as mandatory spay/neuter, illegal to own in city limits, etc etc but you give an inch, they take a mile. Hell, APBT owners have been fighting tooth and nail against BSL for close to 30 years, if not more, and still losing. Can you imagine if "pitbull" owners started to AGREE with the propositions how fast these legislations would fly into office?

Your reasoning behind it is probably well-meant, but imo its misguided, and a terrible idea.

5. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

I don't like the idea of anything limiting people's rights. As much as I wish we could keep stupid people from breeding and away from our dogs, they have every right to do what they want.

And I'll tell you one thing for sure, keeping people under 18 from owning pit bulls is a bunch of bull. I am only 16 and I know a lot more about dogs, especially APBTs, than most adults. Before I'm 18, I may very well own 5 dogs or more and be breeding gamedogs. Anyone who tries to keep me from that is going to get hell!

6. Fedor23

Fedor23 Big Dog

Me either, these days the gov. tries to control us too much

7. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

More laws is the last thing we need. To legislate that I must have a permit/liscense to own a dog is flat out crazy. Heck, I am even worried about my dogs being registered should the humaniacs manage to pull off the big one. Cause you know that Gov. will make them hand over their files, and then big brother will be knockin' on my door!! And to legislate this would be even closer to that. NO, I reckon I would have to be outside the law(and I do my best to obey the law, dont want to store up damnation for myself!!) if something like this were passed. We say that the gov. couldnt do this or that, well, I am one of those whose free spirits was broken by the government. I was institutionalized at one point in my life, so I am under no dilusionment of what is possible. Look at Waco, Ruby Ridge. We want to say we'd do this or that, maybe you'd try, but you'd go down. "no one would do that to me", at the same time getting dog piled by the police, handcuffed and getting more charges added by the minute. No thank you. I aviod anything to do with the government having more info on me. they got enough as it is.

It just may be that if something like this were passed, the next thing would be having to get one to have a baby! Although I do feel that people who are living on welfare as a profession should be spuetered! As do I feel that a person who has an abortion should be done the same way. Over 90% of them are done as a form of birth control.

I am sorry I kinda got off topic, just got me to thinking.

Cheers

8. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

A liscense to own a specific breed IS BSL. Awful idea for any number of reasons. This reminds me of Ronald Regans famous quote. " Some of the most dreaded words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2006
  9. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

lol, how true! Unless the person hearing it is one of those welfare tiddy-babies. Then that quote is probably music to their ears. After all ...

[​IMG]

But that is another subject unto itself ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2006
  10. jdbpitbull

jdbpitbull Big Dog

now if we did go for this liscense to own (which i think it is a bad idea), wouldnt it make it another reason to down the pit because then we would have to hear "oh you have to have a license just to own one of those horrible breed, they are so vicious you have to be trained just to have one " and dont they have a bad enough rep that people place on their shoulders and backs instead of the ones trying to help the breed adding to this terrible problem

11. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

NO MORE RULES!!! If you breed them keep them its that simple. If you sell pups to strangers then thats when the trouble starts. I can tell you where every dog Ive bred is, except for a few that were stolen. But we can all police our selfs dont let dogs out to folks that dont need them you know a real dog man/woman or a punk ass that wont take care to make sure they are first.. Yis J

12. Attila

Attila Guest

If only every one would be so responsible. Even with careful picking some times something goes wrong. I reclaim dogs and/or find new homes for them.

13. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I have as well. But sometimes if ppl find out you're going to re-claim the dog they'll hide the dog. I've even had one woman actually up & move to avoid having me repossess the dog for a contract violation. :(

14. Attila

Attila Guest

I have had them try similar tactics too. But I don't give warnings. I didn't mention the details that resulted in violent reposetions. We all know how that can go. There probably is a major difference's in our tactics. It depends on how far are you willing to go to make the point, example and punishment. We all know what happens in the field stays in the field.

15. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

I think everyone is missing my reply posts..

As I read everyone's responses and feedback, I proposed another idea.

Instead of FORCING everyone who owns a pitbull terrier, I proposed the idea of having the option to be a certified pitbull owner.

and like I said before, it could be handled by our own pitbull registeries.

16. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yea, maybe I am too nice. I gave her 30 days to comply w/ the contract & she disappeared. Lesson learned on my part I guess.

17. Attila

Attila Guest

I wouldn't say you're too nice. That would mean I am not nice at all. lol
    I have just learned to strike with out warning. The element of suprise works best catch them with their pants down and give them no time to react negatively. And don't go alone or unprotected. To be prepaired for adverse reactions.

18. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

You are right in that you have to be prepared for adverse reactions. Some ppl will clown when they think you are taking something that is "theirs." The last time I re-claimed a dog I took the police w/ me just in case. Luckily the guy was real cool about the whole thing, but he was the exception, not the rule.

19. Attila

Attila Guest

Yah that isn't a common response. However breach of contract makes that dog mine and no longer theirs. I have a complaint department they can file a complaint with it for resolution. My collections department handles all collections, monitary or other. Mr. Louisville heads up both departments. Some times backed by Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. However most times it goes very smoothly. As the contract department has a very effective way of getting the terms across on how things will be operating in the event of a conflict of contract. Communication is a very important issue.

20. NGDOGMAN

NGDOGMAN Big Dog

Lethal you seem to have good intentions but let me break it down for you as I have had the same idea and there is no simple fix to this problem.

BSL=unconstitutional
    No one wants or needs more laws or regulations.
    There is no guarantee or way to get all people to register all dogs without major violations of rights/privacy. Still there will be people that breed and sell off pups or keep em on their yard and never register.
    Even after registration you will just know who has a dog, unless all dogs are tagged in some way after registration and photographed there is no real definate way to identify a dog that attacks or gets loose. And again who is going to really register and all this would cost extra $$.
    It will not stop fighting or neglect/abuse cases.
    It will put out a negative overall image of the breed.
    It will give PETA a hit list.
    There really is no need, as pitbulls are wonderful loyal loving human passive animals. It is just the few bad cases that mess it up for everyone.
    ...the list goes on

I think i know your line of thought. 'there has to be a way to get all these people that hate pitbulls, want to ban them, and want to kill them to see the light.' In my experience these people are the most uneducated people when it comes to these dogs or they had a bad personal experience. There is a legislature in my state that was pushing bsl because his niece was attacked and mauled. I understand his pain but wrong solution. BSL is not going to stop the next little girl from getting attacked. I remember about ten years back the same thing was going on with rots and dobes. People need to step back and think outside the box on this one. One day it is this breed the next day it is another. The problem is not a breed but the owners. BAN THE DEED NOT THE BREED. sounding familiar. sure you have come across this saying before. Education seems to be the only real solution we have right now. Hopefully the trend of pitbulls will pass soon and everyone will move on and want to ban flaming liberals.
    Do yall ever wonder about these liberal bsl pushing peta folks. I mean they are all worried about a few animals and want everything to be all touchy go feely sunshine and rainbows, but what about the millions of americans below the poverty line what about the aids epidemic in africa what about the meth problem that has hit like crack did in he 80's. I mean you come off like you want to help but you are doing nothing to really help anyone or anything. And yes there is a need for animal protection from some folks but find a better cause already.