1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A good Dogman knows when enough is enough!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Rocky H. Balboa, Oct 19, 2005.

1. A good Dogman knows when enough is enough! Having the word "Dogman" thrown around loosely to represent a person who owns dogs, I thought it prudent to speak of what really makes a good Dogman.

A good dogman does not breed without intent or thought of how puppies should turn out.

A good Dogman does not breed for dollars and cents.

A good Dogman knows what is good and bad within its kennel and individual dogs.

A good Dogman prefers to farm to other trusted people rather than sell for profit.

A good Dogman schedules time to spend with dogs individually. (Not just when scheduled for an event).

A good Dogman attends to the health of his/her dogs without concern of expense.

A good Dogman knows when there are enough dogs in his care.

I believe the last is less obvious (to the general public). Many Dogman, in the attempt to make their kennels "The greatest", will breed and buy as many dogs as possible (financially) without regard to what dogs need.

IMO, there should be a 4-dog limit for every full-time caregiver. This means that a kennel cared by 3 individuals that only take care of dogs (Full-Time) should only have 12 dogs in their care. How did I figure this quantity? Well, I assume each dog should get 2-hour individual attention per day. Thus, if each takes care of 4 dogs per day, it will equate to 8 hours of "Dog Work". Now to some, 2 hours per day may sound like too much time spent on a dog but I believe those individuals should not own more than one in the first place.

A GOOD DOGMAN KNOWS WHEN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Am I right? Should people limit the quantity of dogs they own? or should one own as many dogs as he wants regardless of anything else?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005