1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A "Boggle".

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Kristin, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

A "Boggle".

Just curious to see what people here think about "Boggles". They are Boston Terrier, Beagle mixes. As far as I know they were just created as a designer breed, to be cute. We get them a lot at the pet store I work at. I was wondering from the mind of a working dog owner, do you think this mix has anything to offer, in any venue?

2. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

Re: A "Boggle".

well those who use beagles usually try to avoid show stock. they just use their own stock or get it from other hunt clubs. so nah.. thats rubbish stuff. a lot of beagles from show stock arent as good as ones from working stock.. they either hard to start or dont show interest at all.. mind u i seen one coming fro,m hunt club and still didnt show much interest

so yeah, its like pitbulls, would a dogmen acquire dogs from show breeders nah he would rather wait

3. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

its funny how different show stock can be from working strains..just look at lakeland for example. who would use the show lakeland we have here in Australia..i dont even call them lakeland

4. 1916

1916 Big Dog

mutts,I dont like mutts

5. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

i love mutts.. especially bull cross greyhounds :dogkiss:

jack/beagle

bull type patts

6. Re: A "Boggle".

Bostons are some pretty crazy little terriers. Mix that with the right beagle, you might have a good hunting dog.

7. n2bulldogs

n2bulldogs Banned

I can't imagine a boston improving on a beagle, or a beagle improving a boston. Yes, there MIGHT be something produced that could be hunted/worked in one way or another. But, I feel crosses should not be done unless the breeding program is selecting for a specific working trait and breeding toward a goal. Which is certainly not the case here- it's just an F'ed up mix designed to dupe holiday shoppers

8. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

Thanks for the replies.

One that we have now at the store might be placed with me due to his ear problems. He looks like a little Colby puppy without a tail, so I call him Colby. I can't really tell much if he'd be a good working dog at the store, here he is just a fun little puppy who runs and plays, but he does have a very good nose. He is always sniffing around so I hide treats for him to find. I want to get him outside to see what he does and how he will react around my rabbits and birds.

9. Re: A "Boggle".

T.....u.....r.....d.....s

10. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

lol Prolly.

11. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

u know sniffing around though doesnt mean they will hunt with a pack.. its not an easy job to be a good hunting beagle. u will see a pack of beagle tracking a fox in a thick hard bush and u will find out side the patch just walking by himself sniffing at TURD lol not interested in following the pack and hunting in the thick bush.. those end up culls..

i have very lil experience so i could be wrong

12. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

That does make sense. lol I don't have my hopes set to high, that this little guy will be good at anything else other than being a good pet.

13. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

ew? just a mutt nothing more nothing less and pretty useless to the cause

14. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

There are a lot of "mutts" that aren't useless though. Have you ever heard of Lurchers or Bandogs?

15. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

my dog is techincally a mutt bullterrier X pitbull and bandogs and lurchers are great they have a clear cut purpose that no other dog could fill to the same ability boggles there are many other dogs that could fit the bill like lets say a regular beagle... in my eyes another designer dog

16. Kristin

Kristin Big Dog

Very true. I've never seen or worked with a Boggle after the puppy stage so I can't say if they could make a good hunting dog or not. Just something to think about.

17. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

a designer breed ! how

Association of Masters of Harriers and Beagles - Harriers and Beagles

18. BeauK

BeauK Pup

Boggle lol, whats with the name! why not boston X what ever the f else it is? Have pride in it.
    I like X's they are unique trying to see what they will be like, a bit of this or a bit of that, worst traits of both, or best of both.

But the f'n names are whacked out that people come up with, a turn off lol. Good dogs for what ever situations or past times are found in all types of mutt.