1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

8 week old pup fleas

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by tolive, Feb 22, 2010.

1. tolive

tolive Pup

What is a good treatment for fleas for pups under twelve weeks. Home remedies and products.

2. BringBackup

BringBackup Top Dog

Most dog shampoos say to wait until 12 weeks old to use them, which is probably why you are asking. I've been told to use baby shampoo, it's gentle enough and smothers the fleas.

3. yoel

yoel Big Dog

I was watching some show, I believe it was on Animal Planet, and they were saving a dog that was filthy. The vet said washing the dog with regular dish soap is best, it was Dawn dish soap in particular. I didn't know if that was the biggest weirdest plug for a particular dish soap or not. I researched it online and like every thing else there are 3 milion different opinions to this. I would think that the chemicals in dish soap would be harmful but.... whatever.

Does washing your dog with Dawn dish soap really kill fleas? - Yahoo! Answers

4. tolive

tolive Pup

I read on an earlier thread missing apple cider vinegar with water works. If it does whats the percentage of vinegar I need to add to water for pups if possible?

5. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

More than likely the reason they used dawn is because it can cut through almost anything but yet is so gentle it won't hurt the animal. They use it all the time on different animals that get caught up in oil spills and things of that nature.

It will clean the pup well but you then need to treat the yard, Home and anyplace else that would be a hot bed for fleas and the eggs or you will have a never ending battle on your hands. You also need to get your pup on a good flea & tick preventive to make sure it doesn't happen again.

6. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Before you get the pup wet, put a ring of soap around it's neck and work it up a bit. Fleas will run to the head to hide from water, the soap ring helps to prevent this.

7. You could take him to the vet or buy him front line. It's really good. But what ever you do try to stay away form the cheap brands of flea stuff. I went to walmart and got some flea stuff from there and my vet told me that most of that cheap stuff is so bad that the fleas can drink it like water. Which will make them spread even faster. So please don't use any of that crapy stuff. Good Luck. XOXOXO

8. AGame

AGame CH Dog

No. dont use that on a puppy that young