1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

7 month old

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by NCPatchwork, Jul 28, 2006.

1. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

Okay, so I'm sure I'm getting annoying about this, but I really trust you guys' opinions and thoughts.

How conditioned does a 7 month old male need to be? Phantom has a show in September and I just wanted to know how much work I need to do to have him ready by that time. He is fed 2 cups of 28/16 Sportsman's Pride dog food. He gets fed in the afternoon after work. I take him for walks and such, but haven't as much recently because of the heat. He goes to PetSmart every Friday for training class and gets to walk around there for about 3 hours because of the climate control. On the cooler days, he is put outside on a chain while I'm at work. He HAD a flirtpole, but my room mate left it out when he was messing with it and my dog ate the hide. His picture is in my signature. That was taken on the 26 of July. He weighed 40.3 pounds as of today at 3 o'clock. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance, have a wonderful weekend!

BB

2. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

The last show I saw, the 4-6 mth class looked conditioned like grown dogs. It was not purely genetics, more like weight training and treadmill work. I feel like in order to compete in a puppy class in recent adba shows, you have work a pup too hard. Not worth it. Its not healthy to cut a growing dog down like that.

3. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

The next show I believe is an AADR show. Its in Taylorsville, NC. That seems to be the only registry he has done anything in. People told me to wait that they change and sometimes the dogs look better and do better in ADBA. He has done 2 ADBA shows and got nothing, but won 1st and 3rd in AADR.

4. MoPulldogs

MoPulldogs Big Dog

A 7 month old dog should NEVER be conditioned hard, plain and simple. Shame on the judges that put those dogs up for placing. I will tell a handler when a young dog comes in conditioned hard that this is not what should be done.

Your dog looks fine. He is a little heavy...not much though, for a pup. Maybe you could try breaking up his feedings to a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening. That way his body will not be digesting food when he is the least active.

5. CB

CB CH Dog

Dog looks in good shape. Ill give you my honest opinion on this because thats what you asked for. I dont think your working the dog enough a 7 month old dog can handle a decent work out. Only thing that looks like it needs is that tummy a little more tucked in and you should do good with that. Take LONG walks (not no 1 mile) and make the dog pull that leash not free walking. That is how i do it i will take sophi out on a long walk and make her pull me and will sometime take her up some big hills and that helps. But when there that age its really genetics that helps the dogs. Ill see you at the show with sophi hope phantom does well.

6. JuicyCa

JuicyCa Big Dog

Man, he is BEAUTIFUL. Looks to be in good shape to me.