1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

7-1 and rabies

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by kimbel2392, Dec 25, 2004.

1. kimbel2392

kimbel2392 Big Dog

I just recently gave my female an annual shot( 7 in 1) and a rabies 15 minutes apart, as I have done with other dogs in the past but this time this particular dog got weird on me. she stood there grimacing unresponsive and then just layed there not even responding to my male dogs invitation to play- I had just given him the same two shots and he was just fine-

Can anyone tell me what happened? Oh, she was fine a few minutes later-

2. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Sounds like you might have injected thru a vein. Did you go IM or SQ? Also have you given her shots before? It kinda sounds like anaphalactic (sp?) shock.

3. kimbel2392

kimbel2392 Big Dog

i thought that also but she is fine now. -IM with the rabies and SQ with the 7-1 and yes I gave her all her puppy shots. Thanks for such a quick response

4. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

try giving both SQ. although it is common in some vet schools to give them IM, SQ is definitely ok & the way we (vets & vet techs.) give them. also was there any facial swelling or trouble breathing? It doesn't sound like anaphylaxis as this is a serious allergic rxn & left untreated is fatal. With anaphlyaxis, there is usually facial swelling, hives, difficulty breathing, & gastrointestinal problems (i.e. diarrhea). If this occurs get straight to your vet. Just to be on the safe side, next time you vacc., do your rabies 1st, then 1 week later your 7-1 (or 8-1---includes coronavirus)as most (not all) dogs have a rxn to the 7-1 (8-1) over the rabies. And before each vacc., give your dog some benadryl (1-2 mg per lb body weight) just to be on the safe side. Although it soundss as if your dog is ok (thank goodness! :) ), if you are still concerned, consult your dog's vet. Take care!