1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

AL: 60 dogs rescued from suspected breeding operation for dog-hog fighting in Cottonwood

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Vicki, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

on January 12, 2015 at 2:31 PM, updated January 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM

COTTONWOOD, Alabama -- About 60 dogs believed to be involved in a breeding operation for fighting with hogs were rescued Monday from a Cottonwood residence, the Humane Society of the United States says.

The dogs were emaciated and required immediate rescue, according to the organization.

"The cruelty these dogs were shown is painful to see, and we couldn't stand by and allow them to suffer," said Col. Jim Smith, public safety director for the town of Cottonwood.

The Cottonwood Police Department served a search warrant on the property and discovered mostly dogo argentino dogs on the property, but there were able two French bull dogs and one German shepherd.

The dogo argentino breed can be associated with the underground activity of hog-dog fighting, where packs of dogs are pitted against large hogs while spectators place wagers, according to the Humane Society of the United States.

Illegal drugs and firearms were also found on the property. Animal cruelty and felony drug-related charges are pending.

The Humane Society says the dogs range in age from 4 months to teens, and are suffering from various health conditions such as skin infections and malnutrition.

"These dogs are lucky that the authorities responded quickly to this situation," said Chris Schindler, manager of animal fighting investigations for The HSUS. "With the recent cold temperatures and the dogs' poor condition, they needed immediate attention. We are glad to have been called in to assist in this case, and we will continue to be part of the investigation and prosecution process."

According to the Humane Society, dog-hog fighting involves a dog chasing a trapped hog in front of a group of spectators. Dogs are ranked by how quickly they bite into a hog's face and bring the animal down. Because of the hogs' tusks, dogs may be outfitted with Kevlar vests.

The Humane Society assisted law enforcement in identifying and documenting evidence, as well as coordinating the rescue effort. Veterinarians were on scene to evaluate the dogs and provide any immediate medical attention needed.

The rescued dogs will be held at a temporary shelter where they will receive veterinary care and enrichment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures at source: 60 dogs rescued from suspected breeding operation for dog-hog fighting in Cottonwood | AL.com

2. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Re: 60 dogs rescued from suspected breeding operation for dog-hog fighting in Cottonw

Fighting hogs??? Gtfoh who comes up with this shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

Re: 60 dogs rescued from suspected breeding operation for dog-hog fighting in Cottonw

I've never heard of hog fighting lol it must be waaaay underground.

4. F.D.

F.D. Top Dog

The dogs were "rescued."

5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

So, I guess they couldn't be hunting dogs? They're fighting dogs now LOL.

6. ragedog10

ragedog10 Top Dog

Those dogs look bad so forget whatever else them dogs are in shitty conditions fucking shame.

7. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I do agree with you rage on the conditions of the dogs but I disagree that it's ok for the HSUS and those idiots to say hog fighting. As you well know, it's hunting. People usually end up eating the meat or the hogs are taken alive.

8. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Dogs are in shitty conditions yes, but used to fight hogs.... Come on son!

9. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

.....they were'nt used for anything by the look of them..just no feed and a lazy prick that owns them...........OINK-OINK....ALABAMA HOME OF THE FAMOUS FIGHTING PIG....OINK-OINK

10. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Yeah man we got them game pigs out here!

11. 305APBT

305APBT Big Dog

Yes these dogs do not look like they are being properly taken care of and looks like an way to target another group of dog owners. The wording is what is scary to me "60 dogs rescued from suspected breeding operation for dog-hog fighting...". This can be a way in the class hoggers with fighting??? The sad thing is many should not own any kind of animals especially dogs that require time, money, companionship. Dog and hunting has been utilized for 1000's of years. Just another way to exterminate dogs and ruin people's lives.

12. stinkrock

stinkrock Top Dog

I agree 100%. It doesn't take much to feed your dogs. Dam

13. old goat

old goat CH Dog

it;s a way to get the public to not like catch dogs . they don't want anyone eating meat you know .

14. david63

david63 CH Dog

That's what happened to a friend of mine about 10 years ago the Humane Society came in at 6 o'clock in the morning and raided his place for hog rodeos. That was in SC. Went to court won his case the judge Ordered Humane Society to give the dogs back to him within 10 days. The Humane Society called it a bloodsport. The Attorney General name was McMasters,

15. olddog

olddog Big Dog

Those are Dogo Argentinos or crosses of them. Very poorly kept, but of course for sensationalism there are some Pit Bulls being used/for against hogs somewhere around there.

Olddog

16. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

60 dogs rescued from suspected breeding operation for dog-hog fighting in Cot...

They outlawed catch comps some time back and called it hog baiting or fighting. Like y'all I say those dogs are in rough shape, problem is folks are paying top money for dogos and dogo cross's. That dude was probly making a pretty penny selling dogs and couldn't use any of it to care for them. SMH. That is a shame.

Shotgun
    Arkansas

17. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

..so are they heading to banning pig hunting with dogs...??

18. Michael.

Michael. Big Dog

Looks like back yard breeders at their finest. Fighting? Looking like that!? haha I do not see one scar on those dogs. That takes a shitty person to do that. Too bad the HSUS will probably kill them

19. shotgun wg

shotgun wg Big Dog

At this time hog hunting with dogs is still legal in most states. Catch comps were not hunting. Hog hunting in general has enough enemies and as a whole is a target every day from one source or another.

Shotgun
    Arkansas