1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

50lb bag of Dog Food

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Envy's Mom, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

I was wanting to buy dog food in large bags of like 50 lbs. I am currently feeding DVP's Natural Balance, but wouldnt mind trying Timberwolf. I went to their web site, but I do not see large bags af at least 50 lbs. Anyone know where I can get bigger bags of food? Can I order it online?

2. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

I know they have big bags because I've bought them. With Timberwolf if you just have one dog DO NOT buy the biggest bag because once its opened if you haven't fed the whole thing in around 31/2 weeks it will start to go bad. They don't use any artifical preservatives. Maybe the bags I was getting were 25 lbs.

1 person likes this.
  3. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Thanks... Would the food go bag if it were kept in an air tight container? A bag of food usually last me about a month.

Can the people that feed many dogs tell me how they get their food? I could not find 50 lb bags of food.

4. diva

diva CH Dog

Try a local feed store. I feed diamond and get the 50 lb. bags at a feed store down the street from my house and they are very reasonable on the pricing.

5. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

I am still afraid to feed diamond. How long have you been feeding it? Have you had any problems. My girl has allergies so I feed a high quality food, but I was wanting to buy more in bulk. I could not find DVP in a 50lb bag.

6. X

X Banned

Timberwolf's largest bag is 33lbs, if you're feeding 50lbs in a month, it should just about equal out. If you do not think it will be enough, you can always buy two bags. If you buy two bags, you'll also be able to get a 10% discount (the only discount they offer now), if it works again yet, if it's not working they would more than likely credit it back to your credit card once they process the order.

7. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Two smaller bags worked better for me. Those bags are sealed AIR TIGHT. But once opened, my experence was after a month, it went bad. Best kibble out there though, IMO. The only reason I switched is I couldn't get any info from them on the salt content and I have to feed something with low salt since my dog has heart problems.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I fed Diamond for 8 years until the scare with tainted corn(Mold) last year.

I switched for a year and never found anything I liked as well so I switched back to Diamond.
    The last Snafu, cost them SOOOO much, that they have improved QC/QA 100 times over.
    I started back two weeks ago on Diamond and my dogs are doing great, and thier poop is hard as a rock.
    I get it by the pallet(2000lbs) and it runs me about $14 for a 50lb bag of "Adult Premium"(Green Bag), if I buy a pallet at a time.

9. Suki

Suki Guest

good point and I was going to mention this, regarding the food going bad with the larger bags.

these chemical additives(preservatives) are what you do not want to see in your dog food, which, when added helps to prevent spoiling:
    (Less is more).
    BHA and BHT.
    Also, grains, such as corn, wheat, gluten, and soy, which can also be difficult for your pet to digest, and are used as a protein source, instead of meat products.

10. X

X Banned

I don't really have to worry about that, I'd be lucky if one bag lasted two weeks and we feed between two and three different kinds at a time. I guess it should be of some concern if you're only feeding one dog.

11. diva

diva CH Dog

I feed the same thing Stillwater. I get mine from CT Garvin if you know where that is. I pay $15 for 50lbs.

12. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Yeah, with a yard it ceases to be an issue. In fact if I had two dogs it wouldn't be an issue. Great food though, the best IMO.

13. Dirty3rd

Dirty3rd Big Dog

I've always fed Diamond and swear by it. There was no scare in Texas. But I do know whatcha mean by going fast. A 40 50 lb bag will last a few days here.

14. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

TW is an awesome food. LOL Costs me a fortune though with my crew, but they are worth it :)

15. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Yes, I have been buying from Mr Garvin for years.

16. anybody ever hear of black gold?

17. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I feed DVP's Ultra Premium & Venison formulas. I agree that those 37.5 lb bags get rediculous especially when I got through at least 2 of them a week. But I also buy my stuff in 600-800lb encrements & I pay what the pet supply store pays ((I save a few bucks).

18. I Personally Wouldn't Switch Off Of Dvps'.....thats What I Feed, And Its Great!

19. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

I will more than likely keep with the DVP, but I went to the Petco last week and I paid almost $10 more than I paid a month ago. The price is going up. A few friends of mine were looking for a way to buy in bulk, but I guess smaller bags is the way to go for the freshness. Thank you everyone for all your honest replies.

20. diva

diva CH Dog

They are good folks over there. I bought a couple of chain set ups from them. He was very nice and helped me go through and pick out all of the material I needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2006