1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

3 weeks until weight pull....now what?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by MOOT44, Aug 28, 2007.

1. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Thanks for opening this thread. My 4.5 year old Jake has a weight pull competition on rails coming up on the weekend of 9/22 + 9/23. About 3 weeks or so. He has participated in one formal weight pull event, on rails, in Early June. It was his first and only.

Anyhow, we've been practicing our butts off. I am wondering what I should do for the next 3 weeks?
    1. Jake gets about 3 miles or so a day of walking.
    2. 3-4 times a week he'll get 2 miles or so of bike riding.
    3. 3 days a week he'll get intense weight pulling sessions on the cart.
    4. Flirt pole is daily or atleast 5 times per week
    5. Occasional drag pull

I am wondering how I should adjust this so he is 'peaking' for that competition.

Any responses are welcome, even if you don't pull with your dogs. I have an idea of what I plan on doing, but, would love some input. If you don't want to post here, shoot me a pm.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. man sorry andrew i don't weight pull. you know i'd love to help you. i suggest you pm mopulldogs for advice. i would assume she wouldn't mind giving you some pointers as she is really nice. i can't say for sure though. she doesn't check in everyday or anything, but that's my suggestion for solid advice. i know there's other pullers here, hopefully they will share some secrets with you.

anyway, good luck.

3. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Thanks Boog. I'll drop her a line. I just pm'd WWII, I know he's involved in pulling. I just don't want to over or under work for the next 3 weeks. Know what I mean:)

Thanks boog!

Andrew

4. i agree! it's a critical time for his training i'm sure.

GOOD LUCK!

5. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

I wouldn't go crazy on the road work, that will break down muscle. Concentrate on pulling and putting some mass on him, it will be hard to do in 3 weeks.

6. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Scotsman: Should I be doing heavy work with the cart, or doing more reps w/ a lighter weight? I don't want him to gain too much mass. I'd like him to stay in the 40-61 pound weight group. He goes back and forth from 60-61 pounds.

In that week before the competition, should I pull at all? Give him a week or so to 'rest up'? Not like I am going for huge titles or anything crazy like that, but I want him to 'peak' on that weekend. No sore muscles, re-energized, etc. Any more info would be great:)

Andrew

7. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

i do nothing but positive work for at least a week and a half before a show and give at least 3 days rest before a show so they are fresh. Weight pulling is at least 85% mental in my opinion, it sounds like you do enough to get your dog in decent shape now its all about building confidence. It sounds like he is still a new dog so don't break his confidence by going heavy to quick, that will come with repitition and building confidence - sometimes less is more after a dog is track trained.

8. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

loneshark are you going to the aadr show in oct?

9. MoPulldogs

MoPulldogs Big Dog

You have mail...;)

10. you mean andrew right? lol

11. MoPulldogs

MoPulldogs Big Dog

Yep!

How are you doing Boogie? I'm trying to get that little Boudreaux dog ready for Nationals :p

12. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

Thanks for the comments guys and gals!

Lonesharkpits: Jake is relatively new. He had never worn a harness until about, oh 8 or 9 months ago. Something like that. We've been practicing a lot, but no competitions around that often in the summer. So, in your opinoin, no work at all on Wed, Thurs, Fri if the competiton starts on Saturday. Sounds good to me.

MOPULLDOGS: Thanks for the message. I shot one back at ya:)

Andrew

13. u prbly don't have far to go. that dog is BEAUTIFUL! i may not be competition for ya though. if bronson champions this weekend in indiana that is.....(keeping fingers crossed)

see you at nationals! hope you didn't mind me sending andrew to ya. he's a good guy. ;)

14. MoPulldogs

MoPulldogs Big Dog

Henry...well, he's a SPAZ!!

Good Luck in Indy...No problem with the questions:)

15. Unleashed

Unleashed Pup

Mopull,
    The people that gave my Fury are going to nationals, I am not going to take Fury this time, I want to get more familiar with the pulling myself, they pull at their house on Sat nights and he has done well, he even suprized them at how well he pulls for me.
    I would like any tidbits of wisdom you can toss my way too.[​IMG]

16. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

yes we'll be there, i'll be showing a couple and pulling a few - you going??

17. lonesharkpits

lonesharkpits Big Dog

yes i generally give mine 3 days off before a competition. If you do anything make sure it is light weight and very positive. 3 days before a show your dogs head is pretty much where it is going to be so no use in killing them in training before you get there, if they aren't trained already they are not going to get that way the night before a show. And just my opinion but what ever you do, do not let your dog quit at this first show no matter what the weight is or if you have placed or not - the worst thing you can do is kill the confidence before it is really established. I know its hard in the heat of competition, i've done it before too, but you have to swallow you're pride and know when to take a new dog out of the pull before you mess their head up.

18. sy82nj

sy82nj Top Dog

i'm going to try my best to be there and show one