1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

3 Day Euth Rule

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Lethalpits, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

In Memphis and surrounding counties, stray and abandoned pitbulls are euthanized after 3 days upon pickup.If no one retrieves their dog within 72 Hrs., with either a picture, tag or other proof of ownership, say bye bye.

Fortunately and unfortunately, this has been a help to our city.

I was just wondering how many other cities and counties out there does this also take effect? Do most shelters follow this??

2. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

I know that the counties around mine, pits are adoption no-nos. Humane Societies won't take them. I suppose the euth thing applies here. I believe its 5 days instead of 3. Thats why my dogs are/are getting micro chipped.

3. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

Yea, pit adoptions here are no go as well. There are some out of town pit bull adoption societies that come thru, but even through them you have to go through an extensive qualification program. BYBs here make major money =/

4. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

same around here also...luckily around here we also have some very good breeders that live semi close...(EX. Wildside Kennels, Tom Garner, Southern Dixie. etc.)

5. Jake01

Jake01 Big Dog

Well in Fort Worth from what I understand, They adopt them out. But I'm guessing it's on a case by case basis.

6. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

Here's another question I forgot to ask, do you all think this should be applied to alot more areas?

7. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

Out of fear of a confortation, I will answer this, but please dont hurt me LOL!

The only thing I have to say, is from a trainer's POV, I think it is ok....you don't have to worry about bad people just "getting the breed to have one" or someone getting a dog that isn't properly bred/taken care of previously and worry about them biting someone. There are too many people as is with dogs that shouldn't, and I think that it isn't a good idea to have them for adoption. Most humane socieites (around here especially) do not do the tests needed to find out if the dog is compatible with what and how. They also don't tell the people adopting what they actually need to know (Ex. Whether the dog is dog agressive, cat agressive, people agressive) They just adopt the dog out and push them out of the door.
    EDIT: I'm in agreement about the euth. of APBT in shelters BTW

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  8. Jake01

Jake01 Big Dog

Wouldn't you think that people would be a little bit more responsible if they knew their dog would be euth'ed if picked up by the AC? I know I would. Sure adoption is great if the person can't properly take care of the dog and releases it to the shelter. But strays picked up because of owner negligence? Thats the reason of most of your dog attacks, human or animal, irresponsibility or ignorance from the owner. Obviously education isn't working with these people. Some people need to learn the hard way.

9. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

out near where i live in nj there is a shelter that euthanizes ALL dogs on fridays and mondays.. NONE are allowed to be adopted out and only a handful of rescues are allowed to pull the pitbulls or other strays. its the CLEANEST shelter in nj, as the dogs are always euthed... pretty sad, but its a very bad area, and the ACO wont adopt out the strays to anyone that lives in that town.,.

10. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

Shelters in my area will adopt out APBTs if they are dropped off by the original owner. Other than that its a no go on adoptions.
    I can agress with this also NC. They also do not do the temperment tests and feel its a liability to adopt out a stray Pit Bull. The only thing that makes me mad about that is they will adopt out Labs, etc that are strays, they give them a chance. But I guess I can see where they are coming from.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  11. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

I'm all for tough love on this issue. Every stray and every surrendered APBT should be put down. It's a harsh call, but until we gain control of the over breeding, and bring these dogs back into the proper hands, it's the best thing to do for our breed. This will remove the dogs from the hands of those who can't care for them properly(strays) and prevent them from going into the wrong hands again(surrenders)

Let's face it, the people who really care for and respect their dogs, don't let them get out and they do not surrender them. It will also clean up the bad blood from the BYB's and the crap some consider "Pit Bulls" these days.

I used to want to save every APBT, but now I just want to save the breed. This would seem the most practical way to do so.

JuicyCa, CrazyK9 and debodebo like this.
  12. simms

simms CH Dog

I agree...Excellent!

13. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

I agree with you 100%

14. Lethalpits

Lethalpits Top Dog

Yep good post DryC. I just wanted to see the opinions as this is something I agree with. It really helps the area out here IMO so I thought it might be something that should be elsewhere.