1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

1st Expierience with Buffalo Hide.

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by BRONXXX, Dec 26, 2009.

1. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Just recieved my first batch of buffalo hide the other day with the intentions of using the hide with both a flirt and spring pole for my 1 year old pup.

The flirt pole was easy to make, and my pup goes wild chasing the hide however when its time to use the spring pole, she tends to just chew on the hide, not really tug/work with it. Ive read on this forum its best for the dogs workout on the springpole to have all 4 of their legs on the ground, but I think this makes her want to just chew on the hide, not to so much tug with it.

I feel like part of the problem could be that the hide is very hard, so naturally she couldnt tug until it was more pliable (?) but a friend of mine said it will get more loose over time. :confused:

Suggestions?

2. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

Hang it high enough that she can keep her back feet on the ground. So when she grabs it the spring will expand and her front feet will barely be on the ground. This will force her to work it. Good luck!

3. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

You can soak a towel with water then wrap up the hide in it and let it sit overnight or however long, but be carefull cuz it will get moldy and smell horrrrrrible and be no good at all. thats what i always do though

4. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

I will try that out, thanks! :)

Your dogs still go after smelly, moldy hide?

5. Jrouble

Jrouble Big Dog

Get the front feet up, and the keep the rears planted, that will solve your problems - wardog is on the money.

6. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

is here anywhere online i can buy buffalo hides??

7. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i soaked mine in water and that makes them very flexible and it worked great this was cow hide

8. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Im gonna give this a try, thanks! :)

9. Boze

Boze Top Dog

i only soaked it for about an hour

10. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

Hell yea! the smellier the better !!

but nah, the point is to NOT let it get moldy lol.

11. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

hahaha! :d

12. tony413

tony413 Big Dog

if you want to condition any type of hide try some raccoon brain, deer brain, or cow brain. if you cant find brain then maybe some type of plant/veggie oil may work such as sunflower seed oil.

13. Jelet

Jelet Banned

14. scottyh

scottyh Big Dog

good comments reckon that guy will ship to uk ??

15. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

how do you guys like cow hide vs buffalo hide? I have only used cow...

16. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

i have heard buffalo and boar hides the best! its the toughest out there,

i use the cow hides from full force combine.

17. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

i've also seen the hide put up bout the dog eye level n the dog just works it by pulling bak on it.to each his own,it works both ways.

18. Boy-boy 416

Boy-boy 416 Big Dog

try this guy hes on here somewhere
    [​IMG] Today, 04:02 PM
    [​IMG]Bulldogluvr [​IMG]

[​IMG] BUFFALO HIDES for sale, 1/2 price sale
    $5.00 ea.+ s/h or 3 for $12.00+s/h. If your interested contact: Bulldogluvrtoo@yahoo.com Priority shipping 2-3 days to your door & also have paypal available

[​IMG]

19. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

^ That's who I got my buffalo hide from and was satisfied! :)