1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

10 week old pup ignoring me when around other dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by memyselfandmiah, Feb 20, 2006.

1. I adopted a 10 week old pup 3 days ago from the pound. He is (they think) Pit Bull and Lab mix. SMART as a whip. He is house broken to an extent already. he will go to the door and look out when he needs out. he can do a VERY close approxamentation of "heel" off of the leash (as long as it is not too long of a distance) he is getting the hang of "drop" with his toys, and "kennel up" at night or when i cannot keep a close eye on him. Today we walked to the neighborhood park... let me rephase that, we walked 15 feet, then had to stop and sit when dogs barked frm behind the fences. please understand that it was not my choice to stop. I "here"ed, whistled, pulled, prompted, and all but picked his ass up and carried him. when i got to the park, i had some old lady try and bring her poodle over to meet Thor (his name), and he got very aggressive. While the aggression was not unexpected (hey he is a pit bull and the poodle was another dog) i was unhappy that he refused to listen to me when i told him sit or down. never really had this problem till now. (then again i have only had him 3 days) He pays attention to me 99% of the time, but I want him to listen to me when he is being aggressive. short of boinking him on the nose, which i do not want to do, what steps should i take to ensure that no matter the timing he listens to me? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

he is just a pup but chances are the pitbull in him will be dog aggresive for ever.

3. He was very aggresive against an adult poodle....? And he is 10 weeks old? Buy a good leash. Good luck.

4. bronxpits

bronxpits Big Dog

post sum pictures of the dog

5. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

hate to tell you but when they go into game mode they dont listen..till its game over.

6. japangame

japangame Big Dog

I dont know if it was aggression. But as for the rest. A stern voice with out yelling and maybe just have him sit down and not look at the dog. I have had a problem with my dogs that age being to playfull and wanting to just play. I learned that if I made them sit and just look at me than it stoped. Its an advanced method but quite simple. You can work him that way and when he is ready do the same thing making him walk. That is awsome that you rescued him and remember that it is only three days so he is still pretty new to you and you are new to him. Its always difficult for the first 2 or 3 weeks. Good luck and i hope this method works.

7. I just put the first pic of him up. please tell me what you think.:cool:

8. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

I myself dont see any pit bull in him. He looks like a hound/retriever mix. and I know its a pic and it is hard to tell from a pic but he looks a bit large to be 10 weeks old unless he is a St. Bernard.

9. I just weighed him, and he is clocking in at 19 lbs. at 10 weeks is that big? I will try and get a better shot of him, but no promises. I am not a pro dogger, or anything, but in his face he looks very much like what I think a pit should look like.

10. adam4by4

adam4by4 Pup

If only it were that easy to train a puppy after three days!!!!!! Keep on him thats all you can do ! Practice practice practice. Every puppy that old is the same way. If they came trained we wouldnt have such a problem with pit bulls in the first place. Wait till the leaves start to blow around, My dog chases every leaf in the field until hes at least bit it once. But he does sit and stay when I tell him but ive had him 6 weeks and have been home working with him since day one! Ive got him up to 10 commands all with voice and hand signals, He is also a pit/lab mix. Just keep working on it!!

11. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I really dont see any "pitbull" in him, but maybe it will become more noticeable when the dogs grows up a bit. All pups look the same,lol.

12. I Dont See Any Pit In Him Either But As Said Earlier When They Get Going With Another Dog They Dont Listen To Nothing Just Get A Good Strong Leash And Reighn Him In If He Gets Mean With A Dog,also Watch When He Gets Bigger Because People Will Bring There Little Dog Over Purposely To Get Your Dog To Bite It So They Can Sue You And Try To Get Big Bucks Out Of U

13. My first thought looking at him is that he looks like my husbands old dog Bo (RIP). I mean he is the exact image of him. Bo was a St. Bernard/huskey mix. He is cute but 19 pounds at 10 weeks is a bit big. My 18 week old pitty pup only weighs in at 22 pounds.

14. japangame

japangame Big Dog

I cant really see the pit in him either but he is a cute pup. Maybe it will show later if its there. As for the training,,,,good luck, and remember that he is just a pup.

15. I went and got a pinch collar, but i am not sure if that is going to be the right thing for him. we took one walk around the block, and it just made him run more. would run, get pinched, sit and wait for me, then not move without a lot of coaxing. we will see if it changes at all, but right now i am thinking of putting the pinch collar into the "returns" pile and take it back.

16. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

him running to the end and stopping has nothing to do with the pinch collar. all puppies do that before they are leash trained

17. Try to read his body language if there is an approaching dog. Stiff and Staring = Bad. If that is the case, move him along. Get him started in obedience training as early as you can. It may not totally solve the problem, but it'll give you experience in how to manage the problem.

18. copy that. he is (generally) very good on a leash, except that he bites my pants or the leash. we are working on DROP to deal with that, but nothing really conclusive has happened.

19. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Use a light chain lead for a breif time so he knows you cant bite the leash. Or use that bitter apple spray.

20. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

this kind of stuff is what i was talking about in a past thread. he got the dog from this place and they say "it's a pit bull mix." how do they know if people that's been around them all there life can't tell? i'm with some of you on the hound/terrier "no pit to me." on the bitter apple spray get the smallest you can first. my dog just licked it like water. but he is a nice looking dog.