1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

1 July hunt

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BamaBoy, Jul 2, 2006.

1. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

After considerable debate due to the scarcity of hog activity in our areas, we decided to make a hunt. We turned out about 11:30 pm at a Milo field. Now this field takes about an hour to walk hunt if the hogs aren't there. But if they are in the field we usually know within the first few minutes.
    That being said, the cur dogs were working out real good, but no bays as we made the first turn...so we figured we were just out for a late evening walk. Made the second turn...dogs were still working, but again no strike. After walking about 3/4 of the field, one dog was up in front, one was in the Milo and another was working some brush opposite of the Milo. So we took a little break to listen for the dogs.
    Doug's dog Tripp was out in the Milo, my dog Skipper was up front and my gyp Jazz was working the brush opposite the Milo. Finally we had a bark! It came from the brush and it wasn't solid, but it was a bark. We started making our way in that direction, but still not a solid bay...as we moved closer another dog finally joined in and we cut the catchdogs loose. Just as we released the catchdogs the hog broke and came back around behind us. Close enough that Scottie and Chris could have reached out and grabbed it. The dogs were hot on the hogs heels with Tigger, Chico and Rock leading the pack. The hog was stopped in short order which turned out to be this 150 + pound Sow.

This was Chris' first successful hunt of any kind, needless to say I think he is hooked!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BamaBoy

BamaBoy Big Dog

Chris didn't even realize where the hog was until he saw the dogs cross in front of him.LOL