1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Why are Terriers more game then other breeds

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by Kerberos91, May 24, 2023.

1. Hey guys, according to Wikipedia the old english Bulldog was crossed with the black and tan Terrier to improve the bulldogs gameness.
    Now im asking myself why did Terrier breeds have more gameness then the old english Bulldogs? I mean those dogs where used for bullbaiting for many centuries, but despite that they where bred for fighting, they dont seem to have developed the level of gameness as the Terriers did. Otherwise they wouldnt have crossed them with Terriers right?
    So is it because of the different type of work that Terriers did, or is it maybe some genetical thing?

Would be thankful for explenations

2. It's naive to think that gameness could only be found in one breed, try telling anyone that's been around working terriers that their dogs aren't game. Many have took their death whilst working underground.

The question is, can gameness be bred in or does it have to be there from the start, I think it's both, the trait had to be there in certain individuals that were opted to breed from. Gameness in these dogs is a classic case of nature & nurture.

3. stedz

stedz Top Dog

I dont think the terrier was crossed with the bulldog to improve its gameness, but more its speed.

david63 likes this.
  4. So you think the gameness was already there?

5. stedz

stedz Top Dog

yeah,i mean they must have been pretty game to tackle something so big in the first place.I think the terrier was added to improve speed tenacity, etc .a bit of refinement.Most of the old books seem to concur with that anyway,i dont understand why they would say that on wikapedia. anyway its just my understanding.

6. stedz

stedz Top Dog

If you want to go deep into this sort of stuff, try to get hold of Mike Homans books.

Kerberos91 likes this.
  7. Thanks a lot, that could be very usefull

stedz likes this.
  8. Makes sense to me

9. F.W.K.

F.W.K. CH Dog

Anyone can put nonsense on Wikipedia. There are many good books about the dogs out there as @stedz said.

david63 likes this.