1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Which breeds can produce game dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Kerberos91, May 18, 2023.

1. Hi everybody, im very interested on this topic lately and i want to learn more about it. My question is if there are other breeds outside the Terrier Family that can develope gameness. For example breeds like the American Bulldog, the Presa, the Rottweiler, or sheperd dogs like the Kangal and the Caucasian. If you know maybe articels or some documentary about this i would be glad if you share the links :)

2. People will rip you apart here for that question. This forum is for the purest fans of the APBT so anything that support that belief will be shout out.

I have a moment. What would YOU personally define as "gameness" since you are asking the question.

3. Don't *

4. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

The answer is always how you define 'gameness'.

If ten people answer odds are there are at least 7-8-9 different definitions/interpretations.

I use the simplest of definitions. Gameness is the willingness to continue. I don't use other catch phrases or adjectives to help define the levels, if there are levels, of gameness.

So my answer would be all animals, including humans, start down the road of gameness but only a handful, a very small percentage are willing to continue.

S

5. I dont know why anybody would get offendet by that question. Im just a few weeks into this topic so i dont know a lot yet.
    To your question, from what i learned untill now i would define gameness as the dogs will to keep fighting despite heavy injury or exhaustion. However i dont know if this is because of the dogs drive or the high pain tolerance. Or maybe both.
    Im not talking down on anybodys fav dog breed if this is what you thought. Just trying to learn more about gameness and in which breeds we can find it.

6. Thats agood explenation. It makes sense to me that there are more levels of gameness, i believe the APBT and all Terriers in general have the highest level of gameness. I just read sometimes from some people that other breeds have no gameness at all, i wonder if thats true

7. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

On their scale yes. When there's 1,000,000 opinions on what gameness is its hard to tell someone they're wrong.

Revelator and Kerberos91 like this.
  8. Going off your definition of gameness. Yes there's other dog breeds that would fit that. There's plenty of working dog that will tolerate high amount of damage and keep working. Kangols, American Bulldogs ( There's also a fighting bloodline called Painter), Alot of bandogge kennels ( There's a few good ones ) and many more other options. It's just what purpose are you using the dog for ( hunting, man work, blood sports and etc) will determine which game dog breed works best for your objectives. I do more man work / bite work.

Kerberos91 likes this.
  9. Thanks for the answer

10. I don't believe that it's black & white, that you're either game or not, that way you're doing a massive disservice to thousands of game dogs over the years that showed the heart that few could dream of. Are we to believe that a dog that fought for 2-3 hours before standing the line is no gamer than a cowardly German Shepherd that would run away from a fight before it's even started?

Some say, they will all quit given the right circumstances, I'm not sure about that, but, I'm willing to accept that it's far from black & white, these dogs are not robots and never will be.

crook60, Pollo and david63 like this.
  11. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

I'm of a different opinion pertaining to these dogs and the history behind them. The man made rules clearly state what " game" is categorized as stated by Cajun play.

12. True, but as we both know, the gamest dog doesn't necessarily win, but, a win is all that's needed.

13. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

If I were to stray off my opinion gameness being simply the will to continue, it would be when it comes to winning dogs.

They only have to be game enough.

S

david63, Ssdd and ben brockton like this.
  14. Can i ask what the Cajun play is? I have heard about the Cajun rules but i havent read them yet

15. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

Simple there was a scratch line. Cross it and it's called a game scratch. Don't cross it then it's a cur. Everything after that is just opinion and you know what they say about opinions. It's really not that complicated lol

16. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

I didn't say it was black and white. I dai

"Google it's a hell of a tool" - Rick James

17. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

I didn't say it was black and white... I said there was different opinions on the definition so it's impossible to say anyone is right or wrong....

I can give my opinion but many ppl will be pissed off.

18. That brings me to another question i wanted to ask, maybe this way i dont have to post a new thread. What does "scratching" mean in a fight exactly?

Im really new to this i dont know all the phrases yet

19. Yes, i did read them on Google now haha

20. It's not difficult to find out that info, it's a line a dog has to cross in a certain amount of time to show to the ref that it's wanting to continue to fight, the dog is not forced to cross the line, it decides what to do.