1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Redboy Story...

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by carverboy1, Sep 24, 2010.

1. I always thought its not redboy jocko.just redboy.
    its clear on jockos ped.(and Slims story)

But lol.seems like a ped means jack shit.

The dog looks more Red Devil then Colby thats for sure.
    but what do looks prove?
    Colby dogs are Brindle and theres Brindle in redboy.

The mysterious redboy.

The mysterious APBT more like.

2. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

Interesting stuff slim .... thanks for sharing

3. reids skipper

reids skipper CH Dog

Always wondered how them redboy dogs were renowned for gameness , when they were bred down from sarge who supposed to have quit ... your opinion just proves he wasn’t bred down from them

4. Never new that bout Sarge.

Thanks Skipper!

And good point

5. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

I have read the Red Devil connection and heard the rumors a number of times. Sort of goes along with if you fancy Red Devi dogs then Red Boy was a Red Devil dog. If you fancy the Cotton's Bullet dogs then Red Boy is down out of a Bullet breeding, etc. etc.

No doubts there were diamonds in the rough. They became a peddler's paradise so fast seldom did they get a chance to stand alone and the ones that did were a little few and a little far in between. The Cottingham dogs did well in the early years. Those two brothers had three or four going year around for a number of years. Mr. Whitley was hard to handle in his day and still guides a few younger guys on the ways of the craft. Mr. Medlin's Outlaw dogs stood on their own for a number of years.

And like any other line they were not simply 'born game' as there was a lot of culling, hard culling in the early years. All the steps were taken for the family to stand up for years and years but for whatever reason the overwhelming popularity took off like a rocket ship and so much was lost in the wake.

It is funny you mentioned global currency. The guy that turned me onto the dogs use to quote the old American Express credit card commercial: Red Boy blood- "Never leave home without it".

Yellow John was half of the Jocko-Red Boy dogs from way back. Yellow John was not known as a biter either. He had a litter mate brother named JR. JR had zero mouth but never seen a scratch he did not make with all the enthusiasm of a kid in a candy store. I can't read the dog's mind but as he was having his ass handed to him he truly carried himself as if he were winning, not just winning but dominating. He took some really brutal ass kickin's in his day.

One Saturday night when I was a young kid he was brought down from upstairs in a heap. A dead dog could have played the part no better. There was a lot of trash talk from upstairs and the guy that turned me onto the dogs called back up and said he any amount of money anyone or every one had upstairs that if JR came back upstairs he would scratch. The numbers were flying. He came upstairs, had to help him stand up and when he let him go he looked like a basketball being dribbles across.

Mr. James Edwards (RIP/Molly Bee) said you would have to start at that dog's tail and kill every single hair individually all the way to the tip of his nose to stop him, leave one out and he is coming.

It is stories like that, which are very true, that can really sell a dog forty years later. Just like the next pure Red Boy dog sold is going to throw JR all over again and when that pure Red Boy is crossed there will be the Jocko Red Boy dogs or the Mayday dogs all over again. The link to the past, although a pipe dream, sells puppies.

I am going to get my son to make a video of what you get with a dog whose family has been selected over the years with Red Boy traits in mind and he is what I remember from forty years ago. He is stupid. He is game. He can bite. He can breathe underwater. But most of all he is stupid. He has singular focus on whatever the job is and can't be distracted. If he chooses to lock in on the wrong thing he will stay focused and not even defend himself. That stupid.

But when he is on point, like the Red Boy dogs that stood on their own, it is indeed a sight to see.

And without a doubt, that sells puppies.

S

6. GK1

GK1 Big Dog

SHOULD a near pure or high % RB dog have the prepotent gene of red pigment, red nose, amber eyes etc.?

Soze the killer likes this.
  7. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

The Redboy cross with Reid’s Skipper would have likely resembled this

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/public/printPedigree.php?dog_id=34405
    The total package. Performance and production

8. oldguy

oldguy CH Dog

That would be a good start @benthere throw in some GR.CH.Joe, touch of Motorhead and we're flying haha!

david63 and Soze the killer like this.
  9. Great story Slim!

david63 likes this.
  10. slim12

Not really.

The red color maybe, but I have had Red Boy dogs for countless years and I have never had one with amber eyes and only two with a red nose.

Most of those traits tend to stay with who is breeding the Red Boy dogs not so much the Red Boy dogs themselves.

A lot of the Holland dogs keep the red color, even the Cottingham dogs and a lot of Mr. Whitley's dogs.

Bailey's Bingo pushed a lot of brindle dogs out.

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Pedigrees&file=printPedigree&dog_id=169436

I had the litter mate to this dog. Red, red nose and eyes were border line amber. He could shut it down and I was really high on him. Then he actually shut it down. One of the few curs I ever really, really contemplated breeding anyway. I just could not force myself to pull that trigger.

S

oldguy, reids skipper, SMD760 and 2 others like this.
  11. Bones1

Bones1 Big Dog

Slim any idea where the brindle color is coming from w/bingo and where they Red brindles or more like britches. Did the old gent have brindles?

12. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

Deacon had amber eyes as did his son Willy, they were a glowing gold color.

david63 likes this.
  13. patjr

patjr Top Dog

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=169436

oldguy likes this.
  14. slim12

I'm not sure where the brindle comes from maybe from Mr. Krebbs, maybe from the Cat and Cleo lines as the breeding from Cleo made Brandy Girl and she was a dark brown brindle.

I have had a number of red colored dogs that the tips of the hair turns black and if they are clean and the sun hits them right they were one genetic notch from being brindle.

I do not know much about the Loposay dogs so it may have been one of the first crosses with Mr. Bass and Ms. Marlowe.

S

oldguy and Soze the killer like this.
  15. Fatman91

Fatman91 Pup

reids skipper likes this.
  16. stedz

stedz Top Dog

The irony is the red boy line originated after Red boys match with William Cables Fang dog ,check out Fangs ped,seems they were possibly very closely related .

17. slim12

I believe they were as close as kissing cousins or maybe as close as half brothers.

Mr. Calvin Krebbs sold a large catch weight dog to Mr. Beal one Friday night at the back of the restaurant. That dog was stupid game and stopped several of the Beal dogs of the time. Mr. Krebbs' dogs were not registered and many of the dogs he sold/had taken/hoo-doo'ed out of were registered by other people as their own.

The Williams/Cable/Stidham dogs of those times, let's just say had a lot of Krebbs influence, and when Red Boy matched into Cable's Fang it looks like two of the same. They looked a like and competed a like. Mr. Young told me the two dogs even barked a like.

During that time Mr. Krebbs was asked why the dogs were similar and he replied with, "Where do you think those other dogs came from?". He has an yard of big, dumb old dogs that would go all night. He would roll a dog for 30-40 minutes and then put him on the chain. No medical care, no comforts, no nothing. The next morning he would walk a dog into the chain space and the dog came out of the box as a willing participant, he earned a spot. I would also say he put down many dogs most would be proud to own.

It has been said most of the family that made up the Stidham and Williams dogs that made up Rast's Queenie were from Mr. Krebbs. Follow the breeding down to get to Jocko and then on to the Red Boy family and then to the RBJ family. RBJ dogs, as a whole for a stretch, produced dogs that performed and produced and produced. The production record early on suggested they were some family ties hidden underneath.

As a 9-10-11 year old kid Red Boy dogs were big, basically dumb, all night plodders. Not many dogs straight off Red Boy dogs were multi time winners because they were just as happy taking as much as they were at giving. A lot of those wins were simply outlasting the other. Back then they had thick hides, and it was like trying to punch holes thru leather but they would give up their leather to trade with another.

Forty plus years since then with the 'purification breedings' of Red Boy seldom will the straight Red Boy dogs be stand alone type dogs.

There are a few strains that have one pop up here and there but not enough to hang your hat on or lay a bet on. And of the few, the papers and the reality do not go hand in hand.

Some of the Mims dogs (Jiggs as much as any) throw back to the dogs I remember as a kid. Big, dumb, slow, thick skinned with a lot of mouth. When going RBJ I like to see Chicora II as many times as possible. If it is a Holland dog I would like to see Cadillac II be the key element of the breeding. If the Cottingham dogs are in the mix I like to Medlin's George and Outlaw to Outlaw type breedings. The Cottingham dogs, thru purification breeding, seldom are stand alone dogs anymore.

S

Revelator, tomjones2 and stedz like this.
  18. stedz

stedz Top Dog

That first sentence of the last paragraph,maybe explains why Mr Mims,crossed his stuff with Bolio perhaps.

19. stedz

stedz Top Dog

Thanks slim,im always re,reading this stuff, was dean plemmons in the same crowd? i know he was from NC ,and read that when he got out of the dogs,all his dogs went to Ed crenshaw.

20. stedz

stedz Top Dog

A bit off subject but can somebody tell me who owned snooty at the time of his match with Rascal,as ive seen snooty associated with at least four different dogmen?