1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Pitbull" x Bloodhound- acceptable idea?

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by Leeke, May 6, 2023.

1. Leeke

Leeke Pup

Hope this'll fit here. If not then you can delete the thread, just wondering what the public thinks of this. Not looking for validation BTW, if I get a "this is really stupid, dont do that" then I won't do it.

My uncle has this dog (it's my pfp) who he first claimed to be a rednose pitbull and I was like "hold the phone, god damn!". Then I sent the picture to some friends, they were like "solid dog but not a real APBT" so I went and cried in the corner for a while and then figured whatever, it's some bulldog mutt and it ain't bad. I mean I found the breeder's page and their dogs were a mixed bag, and not pure APBTs which was obvious, but some looked solid and Dixie is solid, currently a little under 1yo so looking a bit into the future here.
    My grandma has 2 big mean male bloodhounds, out of hunting lines but never proven just some mean ass yard dogs. You wouldn't expect that kind of temperament from bloodhounds but they're tough. They're pretty big, but overweight. Their temperament, demeanor and behavior makes them look ideal for a cross, though.
    So I'm wondering if it would hurt to put one of the bloodhounds over Dixie, since I think it'd make some big tough dogs I could use on hogs. And also it'd be a good way to keep the legacies of the dogs alive if I made a line out of them. (I grew up with the bloodhounds for the past 5yrs, I'm a younger guy, I've always wondered about making a line out of my childhood dogs and my uncle has this female bulldog now so...) I know both family members would be willing to do it, so that's not an issue. Purely a viability question, I'm not sold on it either way.

2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

You about to recreate mayday lmfao

Dusty Road and Revelator like this.
  3. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Bulldogs and hounds are pretty common in the hog dog community. I will guess the Bloodhound is not the first hound of choice as 'speed and agility' normally do not land on their resume.

I hunted once with a guy who had bulldogs and Plotts and bulldogs and Walkers. The dogs were pretty impressive as hunters.

Good luck. I am in the camp of 'if you feed'em, you can breed'em.

S

kiwidogman and Revelator like this.
  4. Dusty Road

Dusty Road CH Dog

do it if you want a big mongrel

stedz and F.W.K. like this.
  5. I've been around a bloodhound or two but not an expert on them.

A friend has a half rottie/half pit that's around 75 lbs that's a beast of a dog. The rottie momma wasnt huge, was an athletic rottie at 85 lbs (compared to the big mass monsters). The dad was a 50 lb game dog. His half n half is around 75 lbs and is really intense.

Where he lives its legal to hunt wild boar and coyote since they are populating fast. I was with him on a boar hunt and man, his dog was very capable. He could boar hunt one minute, and protect itself well from a loose dog attack the next.

Full pit is my first choice but I see some practical applications in some mixed breeds.

kiwidogman likes this.