1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

How Much do you Spend on Your Dogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Lethalpits, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Well for us feed wasn't too bad...we have now upgraded and it is surely more!
    NOT including vet bills we average about $500 a month and in the spring/summer about $700 (going to shows) a month. We have 10 dogs. More money is spent on them than my half of the bills.....LOL! :D

2. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Wow...I guess I'm in the 150-200 range counting HW pills, feed, toys, breaking down the immunizations for a year...now throw in an emergency vet visit and thats all subject to change...

I should have picked a different hobby...like chess, or knitting

3. JoeFeezy

JoeFeezy Big Dog

I'm above the 200 mark with just four dogs. I'm a sucker for buying them stuff though.

4. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

What are we counting? Just maintenance, or also show entries, equipment, etc?

Monthly:
    Food ~ $20 (40# Canidae lasts at least 2 months)
    Treats ~ $20 (DVP Natural Balance and Bil-Jac for training)
    Toys ~ $15
    Flea/grooming stuff ~ $5 for Biospot & shampoo
    Show entries ~ $100 for a weekend if the show is fairly close
    ------------
    About $160

I get a lot of stuff either in bulk or with my husband's employee discount at Southern Ag, or from catalogs. Shots, wormings and things like that I do myself. Probably about $30/year for those things.

Overall, though, I probably spend a lot more than my breakdown above. So far, we've had about $400 worth of veterinary emergencies with Loki, not counting the regular visits. Show entries probably go up over $1000 a year. Crates, harnesses, leads, collars, brushes, training equipment, etc; probably about the same. (Though a lot of those things are going to be recycled on the next dog.)

Purchase price for a puppy seems small by comparison, eh? :D

5. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

A lot. My dog is old and on 2 prescription meds for his heart. About $60 for prescription meds, another $15 for over the counter supplements. Probably all told $50 a month for food, dogfood, supplements like eggs and sardines and store bought raw (natures variety). So he cost us around $125 a month. That is a very conservative estimate, some months with medical emergencies is much more. And yes, he's worth it. Old dogs can get expensive, one reason so many folks just dump them. Its too bad, the feeling of closeness you get from a good old dog you've known for years is priceless.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  6. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

I am so overpaying for Canidae...and I thought it was great all this time because I wasn't getting charged a delivery fee...I pay more than that for the 20# bag...but I only have 2 dogs and it IS convenient to come home from work and have a big pile of delivered dog food on your porch...

7. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 582pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=775 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 96pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4681" width=128><COL style="WIDTH: 97pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4717" width=129><COL style="WIDTH: 96pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4681" width=128><COL style="WIDTH: 97pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4717" width=129><COL style="WIDTH: 99pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4827" width=132><COL style="WIDTH: 97pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4717" width=129><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 18pt" height=24><TD class=xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 193pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 18pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99; mso-ignore: colspan" width=257 colSpan=2 height=24>Monthly Totals:</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 96pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" width=128 x:num="681.95">$681.95</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 97pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" width=129 x:num="571.29">$571.29</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 99pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" width=132 x:num="1307.18">$1,307.18</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 97pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" width=129 x:num="987.51">$987.51</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jan, Feb, March & Apr.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  8. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

I have no idea, some months it is well into the hundreds. I think the cheapest would be 50-75 bucks probably. Between raw, having kibble on hand, treats, toys (do a lot of dollar store stuffies) and whatever other accessories. Going to be splurging this summer as a new harness, some new collars and leashes and some break sticks are on the way, as well as hopefully a show which is quite a distance away and will be even longer coming back as I'm going to go through Quebec to avoid problems getting her back into ontario. Vet bills aren't often at all, although she did have an eye infection recently that cost me 75$.
    Now that is just for the one dog, with all the other critters involved (rats, snake, spider, sugar glider, mice and 4 cats) I think I probably average at about $300 per month.

9. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Just in case it wasn't clear when I wrote it before. The 40-pound bag costs $40. It lasts 2 months, which is why I say only $20 a month.

10. ChiaPit

ChiaPit Top Dog

Oh good...then she doesn't have to buy me dinner before she "delivers" again...LOL...J/K

11. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

For the two dogs I spend about a total of $40 a month in food (I feed a raw diet).

$20 for Flea and Tick treatment

$15 for heart worm treatment
    I don't buy toys...they have an old soccer ball and will fetch sticks for hours

I have yet to have to replace anything on their spring pole (I used innertubes instead of a spring, they hold up better)

I just started competing in agility, but it's inexpensive. $25/hour to rent equipment for practicing, and about $12 each class to enter at trials. Just starting WP training so no competing yet.

I get some random things, like a WP harness, my dogs have had the same collars and leashes for 2 years (leather and their prongs), I just got a regular harness and a used bike ($30) so I can run them both.

I only give lyme and rabies shots. So it's about $120 a year in vet bills and $8 a year to register them with the town.

12. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

My husband just saw that entry and said, "See Honey, there IS another lunatic out there that enters every friggin expense into the computer." LOL

I'm too lazy to log into QuickBooks for exact figures, but here's a rough break down:

Timberwolf $26.00 (# bags per year/ 12)
    Rawbones/meats $20.00
    Training Treats $30.00
    Training/ Travel $125.00
    Toys $10.00
    Vet/RX $126.00 (Annual vet/ RX expense /12)
    $337.00

I'm sure I missed something somewhere though. All Birdie's expenses are tax deductions for me because she's a service dog.

I'm sure my vet bills are higher because I take Birdie in for quick check up quarterly. She's out in the public so often, I'd rather be safer than sorry.

13. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

Haha...I just saw this yesterday and u reminded me of it. I'm so buying one haha!

[​IMG]

14. Between three dogs, I spend about 200-300 a month on food, toys, treats, and bones because they are spoiled. But we only buy treats and bones and toys when they are on sale at Fleet Farm so that save a little money. But they are all worth it.

15. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

If you have trouble paying the vet for your dogs shots ,look at a farm supply store or order on-line.Iget 25 vials of eight in one for around sixty dollars.Of course i dont need all those so i do family and friends dogs also,whoever pitches in five dollars or so.Since it sounds like you only have one dog i would look at the farm stores,i know tractor supply sells single dose eight in ones for 6.99 here.If anything i would at least get a five in one to protect against the most common diseases.By this i mean Parvo,distemper,carno,and tracheobronchitis(kennel cough).

16. WWII

WWII Banned

~$20 for food
    ~$30 for wormer

That's about ~$50 for 3 dogs per month.

17. Attila

Attila Guest

This is easy I just did my taxes. lol

$1265.75 per month

18. Attila

Attila Guest

You are right there with me. I can tell allot about a man that way. Keep it up. Dogs are a better tax break than kids any day. lol and they don't beg to borrow shit, don't break the car, don't lie to you, I can do this all day. I was at my brothers house a week ago for the day. Damn I am so glad I have dogs. Praise God.

19. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

hey you call me a lunatic??? LOL. I know, im sick wit-it. momma told me that. and, im highly contageous.

:D.. I count every penny I spend on my animals. even the chickens. this is the dogs alone. food and meds + I bought one in March & Apr. I was going to break it down. but, I couldnt fit more than 10,000 characters in the text box, so I shorted it. :eek:
    I have a pretty good book keeper too- ;) that works for scooby snacks!
    :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  20. Attila

Attila Guest

I do the same thing. Chickens and the sheep are part of the farm. different set of books.