1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Dog Intuition

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by blueboy08, Jan 18, 2009.

1. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

Does a dog know when another human or animal has intentions on hurting its owner ? Dogs are smart but are they smart enough to read body language ? I was joking around with my cousin yesterday wrestling around and my dog was watching... now im glad that he didnt rip my cousins head off lol... but it made me think... if my wife or i were being attacked by a stranger would the dog now to protect... if a strange dog were to attack me would it go into action ? food for thought...

2. Luk8272

Luk8272 Big Dog

I would imagine so. I had a book with a dogman telling a story of how he had a fimale that was nice as could be, well she had a liter and they were selling the pups. She never had any trouble with people checking out her pups and taking them, yet one day 2 guys came to the house to look over the dogs and she went ape shit, the owner had to wrestle her to a back room and appologize to the 2 fellas. Well they didn't buy any dogs but a few days later all the remaining pups were stolen. Come to find out those guys had broken in later in the week and taken them, the cops found the guys and some of the pups. The man said he would never go against his girl again. Sorry it was long, This was back in the mid to late 70's

3. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

There have been studies done on the ability of dogs to read human body language. They can do it better than people can.

So yes, they can read body language. Of course some dogs just have weak nerves and alarm barking is a sign of weak nerves.

4. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

nah my dog doesnt alarm bark he may bark once when someone comes to the dor but then thats it... he just usually runs to the door and invastigates when someone knocks or rings... he is very alert when were out ears always pricked but never any signs of agression... lol when i first adopted him back in earlt december her growled at my best friend for about a half of second now their like best friends...

5. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

My neighbors dog did the same thing. Never had any problems with people coming in and one day this guy comes over to give them an estimate on some work for them and he went nuts. They crated him and he still wouldn't hush. Three days later the guy was in jail. He had broke into someone else's house he was supposedly going to work for and stole some stuff. He was carrying a gun and had some drugs on him.

6. Car.Girl

Car.Girl Pup

I think it depends on the dog and how in-tune with people they are. Some dogs can sense danger before it comes, some dogs re-act to present danger. They say dogs have a sort of built in ESP, I believe they do. I have heard of dogs that can sense when their owners will have a seizure before it begins. Dogs that can trail their owners from miles and miles away with no formal training. I believe a dog can tell a good person from a bad person, it has been proven time and time again. Dogs can sense more then we can.
    My dog Rain, never being around a baby before till my nephew was born, will come and get me, by barking and running from me to the baby, whenever my nephew wakes up or cries. As soon as I tend to the baby she will be quiet. Point is that she for some reason knew to come and get me.