1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BigTex, May 2, 2004.

1. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“other than the ingreadiance what else is the problem?”
    Being the ingredients are what feeds the body, what more do you need? Post the ingredients of Ole Roy dog food, then try to list one (yes only one) quality ingredient in it, that’s designed for a working canine athlete!

“It sems we are all talking but nobody has posted the facts or a link to the facts”
    How did you come that that conclusion? There are plenty of articles/thread on this board dealing with nutrition (use the search function!). Just because you might not know if they are factual or not, doesn’t mean they aren’t.

“I have read a few articles about dog foods being bad but nothing concreat.”
    Then you need to continue reading, there are numerous factual articles pertaining to canine nutrition. Post your current kibble, someone will dissect it for you, if not I will attempt (most likely its all ready been discussed).

“I also would like to now how do we know if these high dollar dog foods don't have these same chemicals that is claimed to be in the cheaper ones.”
    All you have to do is read the label, know what it is your feeding (canine), and what they require to thrive!

“For some who do not know a chemical is claimed to be in some dog foods that help put down the big animals. They say testing show very little traces of it and they say it is not harmfull then some say it is. I believe if it is in the food really how could they sell it any way. Could someone comment on this???”
    Are you referring to ethoxyquin? Dog food manufacturers use synthetic preservatives because they keep their kibble from oxidizing longer (endless shelf life), than natural ones (tocopherols and ascorbic acid). Has nothing to do with being better or more beneficial to the dog/s!
    Ethozyquin; Is a pesticide according to the Farm Chemical Handbook! The FDA allows 0.5-5 ppm in human foods, but for some ungodly reason allows 150 ppm in pet and livestock feed. Which when dealing with dogs, that somewhere in the neighborhood of roughly 300 times more than allowed for our (human) safety (pound for pound)! Look up “ethoxyquin” with the Chemical Toxicology of Consumer Products and see their rating of it! Or look at the Occupational, Safety and Health Administration, rating of it! Then see if you want it in your dog/s kibble. This chemical is used because it is the cheapest and most potent.
    Or was you asking about butylated hydroxyoluene, or butylated hydroxyanisole? Either why there is safer, wiser choices when dealing with preservative additives

2. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

What about Vitamin E as a preservitive in conjunction with tocopherols and ascorbic acid ...good bad or indifferent???...thats what the Sportmix uses as a preservitive.

3. Well if these chemical are in one dog food they must be in all of them because it is all proccessed food. The only way you can really get the best diet is to raise your own cows ... LOL ...

I was talking to a friend about the dog foods yesterday he knew about claims of the poisons in the foods back in '95. He told me he cycles between different brands and includes raw meats and sometimes live bait.

He also told me about city water not being very good for dogs because of the chemicals use to keep it clean. Can any one elaberate on that?

4. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“What about Vitamin E as a preservitive”
    It is a natural preservative, like stated in previous post.

“Well if these chemical are in one dog food they must be in all of them because it is all proccessed food.”
    How and where do ya’ll come up with these outlandish statements? All dog feeds are not made the same, nor are they processed the same!

“I was talking to a friend about the dog foods yesterday he knew about claims of the poisons in the foods back in '95.”
    They’ve been using chemicals like BHA, BTA, etc for over 30 years in the cheap kibbles.

“He told me he cycles between different brands and includes raw meats and sometimes live bait.”
    What is the purpose or need for the “cycling” of the diet? There is no need for that, nor is there any benefit from cycling between cheap, sub-par feeds.

5. 440rider

440rider Guest

What is wrong with a good kibble? Is the reason behind cycling between different brands. Are people feeding ol roy and garbage food because of the $$ or do they truely believe it is good for their animals or just good enough? I never supplement my feed just curious to what the reasons behind this are? Tks

6. How old r you Tex? All food is proccessed if you buy it from a store or co-op. There is no telling what ends up in the food no matter what the company says. It is no different than getting you a steak from the butcher. He gets his meat somewhere else. Unless it is a butcher who raises his own, and still what did that cow eat what ever it eats you eat. Same for the dogs. The thing is nothing is perfect!

Why not cycle dog foods? Shouldn't you cut back on fat or protien intake changing it up. I never said anything about brands of food but what you feed your dog.

7. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“Why not cycle dog foods?”
    Being most feed sub-par feed, all you end up doing is upsetting the gastrointestinal tract of the dog, at the least! Why should one cycle their dog/s feed and what benefit would you get?

“Shouldn't you cut back on fat or protien intake changing it up.”
    Again, what would be the purpose of “cutting back” and cycling a dogs maintenance diet? They have their daily nutritional requirement that should always be meet if not exceeded! If anything, you would only increase their quality, never detract it!

8. WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior Big Dog

I didnt have time to read the whole thread so ill ask now. Does anybody else use natural choice? I was talked into buying it at petsmart when I first got my pup. Just curious to see if anybody else uses it or has any opinions on it. For a 20lb bag of large breed puppy it is $29 at the local southern states.

9. JohnsonKennels

JohnsonKennels Big Dog

[​IMG]
    my dogs love, it's cheap and has all the goods too. check it out, lots of protien​

10. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I have been feeding Canidae for 2 years now and am pleased with it! Before I was feeding Kirklands from Costco!

11. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

I just got some Canidae, I'm gonna switch for a couple of week and see where my dogs go from there. If nothing really changes, I'll go back to nutro

12. where can you buy Canidae is at walmart or at co-ops?

13. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

“I'm gonna switch for a couple of week and see where my dogs go from there.”
    If you’re only going to give any kibble a “couple of week” trial period, you’re wasting your time! At a minimum it take 4-6 weeks for a dogs system to adjust to a new diet. In two weeks they haven’t even had sufficient time to expel the garbage it was feed prior to the switch. Always give at least 3 months minimum, unless you notice a significant decrease in health and vitality.

14. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

I have a male (rescue) who was fed strictly Ol' Roy before he came to my place. Before I knew better, I kept him on it. He actually did pretty well with this feed. After doing some research, I thought I was doing my dogs a favor by switching to Pedigree:o When I got my last female from a breeder friend, she told me to switch to Maxximum Nutrition. She fed everyone of her dogs (25+) this food and they all looked great. My 3 dogs did okay on it, but I recently switched again. I have now been using Intimidator dog food (50 lbs/$24) and my dogs are doing so much better. They aren't as "fat" or "bloated" looking like they seemed to be on the other feed, they have so much more energy, and I am extremely impressed. Before my switch to the Intimidator, I had used Nutro for a 6 month period, and wasn't liking it at all. All in all I believe I will be sticking with the Intimidator along with the 2-3 days of feeding meat.

15. I found this it may be of interest to some:
    source is: http://www.k-9power.com/creatineart.htm

Wild vs. Supermarket Meats
    Other researchers examining the relationship between domestic and wild animals within the same species have noted striking differences in lipid content and profile depending on whether the animals are fed wild or domestic diets. This difference within the same species, influenced solely by diet, suggests that there are significant but subtle differences in wild and domestic meats.

One of the most important differences in wild and domestic meats appears to be Creatine content. Although more research remains to be conducted, it can be said that all meat is not the same. Clearly, meat is much more than a mere vehicle for dietary protein.
    Based on studies by Mesch and other researchers, it appears that wild dogs can "wolf" up to several kilos of fresh wild meat at a sitting. Since muscle tissue is the primary repository of Creatine, it can be reasonably said that wolves consume relatively large amounts of Creatine when lucky enough to make a kill, or scavenge. Based on French research, this wild meat may contain more Creatine than domestic meats. At any rate, dogs enjoy meat and will eat large amounts at almost any opportunity. With every bite of meat they take, Mother Nature makes sure they get Creatine, too.
    It can also be said that dogs are evolutionary-designed to consume not just meat, but also the Creatine within the meat as part of Nature's wisdom. Interestingly, the first major Creatine study in America was conducted on dogs in the early 1920's at Cornell University. Scientists found a sharp rise in protein/nitrogen retention when exogenous Creatine was supplied in the diet. Increasing protein retention is important because it is stored in muscle tissue, and less is lost through the kidneys.
    But unlike meat, and especially wild meat, commercial dog food contains very little Creatine. This may be one reason why meat diets, most recently advocated by Dr. Billinghurst, and others over the years, report meat-based or meat-supplemented diets as providing more health benefits than dry commercial dog food alone.
    The lack of Creatine in commercial dog food, and the replacement of it in meat, may be a part of Nature's wisdom of feeding meat to dogs. So when you feed meat, you provide much more than just protein and amino acids; you replace "lost" wild nutrients missing from commercial dog food. Science is just now beginning to understand "why" meat is so beneficial and productive to dogs. One of these "lost" factors lost in modern foods, but contained in meat, is certainly Creatine.
    So when you feed meat to your dog--especially raw meat-- you're also supplementing Creatine because Creatine is built into the molecular structure of meat-part of the package. It's clear that Creatine intake is NOT new for dogs. Actually, the absence of Creatine is new. Until commercial dog foods came into being, dogs consumed Creatine in the meat they ate from our plates. With modern dog foods, Creatine intake virtually stopped.

16. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Does anyone know what Topic the Rate your dogfood was under??? I'd like to rate mine.

17. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

18. NC

NC CH Dog

Hey folks..new poster here. I actually just stumbled across this board and decided to see whats up. I own 2 pits, Boomer and Cheyenne. Boomer is 7 months Cheyenne is 4 months and she's of the Big Ben bloodline. I started out feeding them Purina puppy chow, but now I hear thats not a good food for them. I want to feed them both a decent food but without breaking the bank. So what does anyone know about a brand called Maxximum nutrition. I was looking at it...crude protein 28.00% crude fat 17% crude fiber 3% moisture 10% calicum 1% posphorus .80% omega6 2.30% omega 3 0.23 %...... any suggestions?

19. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

I have always feed my dogs Diamond Premium Adult, sometimes I will add and egg for his coat. Sometime I will mix it with Pedigree lamb and rice they have it like a stew.

20. NC

NC CH Dog

I am looking a feed that is good for them, but also good for my wallet, there is a farmer feed supply up the road from me and they have many many different types but I am not sure whats what.. the guy there suggested one called intimidator 28/18 said that is what he feeds his dogs