1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning a Pup when it's cold

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by NY RaRa PitLover, Dec 22, 2009.

1. First off, I know that this forum is populated with very intelligent dog owners and thats why I love it, you ppl always have such truthful, in-depth, reliable info to offer a new comer like me....:) I walked inside a local pet store and a worker told me I can use baby wipes on my 10 week pup b/c its like 20 degrees outside. Any truth to this new info:confused:. I never read of this before but I'm looking for a way to clean my boy and erase any chance of him getting sick due to the cold weather. Will it have a negative effect on his coat. I did the research before posting this but I couldn't find anything in previous posts. All answers are appreciated from this community. Thanx in advance to every post

2. I have waterless bath spray for when I travel to shows. I got it at the local pet boutique. They may have something similar at Petsmart or Petco.
    Kinda like this stuff
    Vet's Best Quick Clean Waterless Dog Bath at PETCO

Or just bath him inside and put him a crate to dry in the house. :)

3. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Yeah you can use those on your pup, Now if he is covered in mud or the like they won't work but to freshen him up they work fine.

As far as hurting the coat or that I have never seen any adverse reactions and usually it leaves the coat feeling nice and soft and makes them smell good.

Now I am confused on something though, You think bathing him will keep him from getting sick?

4. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

Yes you can use baby wipes. Does the pup live outside, if so, don't wash him unless the dog is very dirty or smelly. All my dogs live outside all year round, if you must wash the dog, make sure the dog can stay indoors for 24 hrs before he's put back outside. Now if your pup lives in the house, then just let the pup dry completely before you let him go back outside. Hope this helps.

5. Thank you for the info Old Timer, I was told that bathing him in this 24 degree afternoon NY weather will get him sick. I don't want to chances.

6. Yea PurePit19 thats great info. He actually lives in doors

7. absolute peril

absolute peril Big Dog

I use a blow dryer to make sure my pups gets dry and oatmeal shampoo/medicated to make sure their skin doesn't dry out. I use pet wipes if the dog is only a little dirty.

8. AGame

AGame CH Dog

i also use the oatmeal shampoo for the skin and that stuff makes them shine to

9. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Oh that will get him sick real quick if he isn't dry and warmed back up before he goes outside. In all honesty though unless he gets into something he doesn't need to be bathed that often, More than likely you will find that you can keep him in good shape by just wiping him down from time to time.

Good recommendation, This is also my favorite general shampoo to wash dogs down with.