1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Cali jack

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by crushbones, Jan 13, 2011.

1. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Slim, excellent job of denoting the the tell tale signs of that "stretch" without using the word "bullshit". LOL

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Well it is Sunday. S

3. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Lol!.......

4. Augustus

Augustus Big Dog

5. SDABPT

SDABPT Pup

Say what you want to about Jack. Only dealing I've ever had from him is when I bought his treadmill. I was told by an old timer that saw him go that Poncho was a game dog. Is his record what Jack says it is? I don't really care..... He is a character for sure but that dude really cares about his dogs and thanks to him and fat bill writing about aftercare a lot of dogs have been saved. I miss AGDTs.....

6. Mr.Mr.203

Mr.Mr.203 AKA ladybug

You ain't no drug dealer.... lmao nice one MM

7. slim12

Miss it too.

And I agree a lot of dogs have been helped by the material put out by Jack. That is a great thing. Better than a great thing.

He has the information in one place and it is easily referenced. If he sells the information, more power to him, or anyone else for that matter.

S

8. SDABPT

SDABPT Pup

Lol.... You caught that did ya....

9. So, who's lying here, in his book he claims to have a 80 odd percent win rate.

10. slim12

He made a great book. He built a great forum/database.

I questioned the percentages myself and that was the start of me being banned.

This is my logic. He referred to most anyone that disagreed with him a 'fuck-tard'. No one knew as much as him.

My logic was that if everyone is basically stupid, and in turn fucks up their own dogs, I asked how did he find 9 of 10 buyers to make sure his dogs were competing at that level since he was not matching those dogs?

S

CockneyRebel123 likes this.
  11. His book is brilliantly put together and every stockman should take note on how much he emphasizes treating the animals right, his advice is on point throughout.

12. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

That's the key "put together". It's just an accumulation of widely available material. I own the book and have referenced it countless times but it's not Jack's personal experience and knowledge.

13. H
    Is that what happened then, where did he get his sources? Oh well, doesn't change much, the advice in the book is spot on, if lads stuck to it they would become better stocksmen, a little heart & compassion go along way. And, I agree with his article on the game test, it's not necessary if you intend on matching your hog, why take something out of it and a potential W on it's record.

14. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

Well the keep is rushin bills for sure.... it's widely known and accepted that's what jack did.

15. Is that still the go to keep or have things moved on from then?

16. slim12

Other 'debates' I had with him.

Just as Ssdd said, a lot of the material is things he learned from others or simply copied from others. I went very basic. The one sheet plywood dog houses. I posted pictures of the dogs on the yard I grew up on in the 70's. All his hounds were in the very same one sheet plywood houses. The bulldogs with a brain got a house and the ones not got steel barrels. He deflected the argument about how only dumbasses used steel barrels. So I pulled the video from his early days and it showed Poncho chained out with a dog crate as a house. From there, it was on.

As far as his keep or any keep for that matter, the times assigned seldom apply as the dog differs. No person can write down that a dog on Day #27 of the keep needs XX amount of minutes of this or XX amount of minutes of that. You either miss with too much or miss with not enough. If it is spot of for that dog on that day and was written weeks before, crate the dog and go buy lottery tickets. I am sure it is your luck day.

The book, regardless of who gets credit for what, is a great compilation and a great go to book for both new and old.

How he go there leaves a lot of questions but what he put out was as top notch as there is in the dogs.

Another debate just triggered, I suggested he should have changed the name and removed the name Pit Bull and made it more available/desired by people raising lab or beagles or Rotts. "Pit Bull" is a turn off for the masses. Again, I was told how much smarter he was than me, and rightfully so I suppose. LOL

S

CockneyRebel123 likes this.
  17. Ssdd

Ssdd CH Dog

There is no "go to keep".... only blueprints.

The dogs dictates the keep. Meaning each keep should be tailored to the dog and using his strengths to mask his weaknesses.

It's a decent blue print. What I like about it is it uses a progressive step up and covers both strength and cardio with relatively easy to follow steps.

Best advice I ever got was from 2 ppl the owner a S.B. mag and someone on the sdj gr ch list....

Pick a keep you think you like, use it, learn everything you can from the positives and negatives. Then do it again and hope u fixed the mistakes. Keep doing it until you naturally see the mistakes before they happen.

18. slim12

A written keep is nothing more than a guide. I made that point and Jack assured me his keep was specifically tailored that it would fit every dog close enough. So i scrolled back thru and found some descriptions of his dogs where one was a super athlete and another was really strong but didn't breathe like this one. Just normal descriptions of dog most people have made.

I copied and pasted those two entries he made and then asked that both of these dogs should do XX amount of whatever on Day #27?

If you only knew how stupid he made me out to be. I have never bred a winner, never owned a winner, never seen a winner so I had no place to question the greatest breeder of all time. I felt in awe just to be in his 'presence'. LOL

Like it has been said, nothing is perfect and everything needs adjustments along the way. Reading the dog on each endeavor on each day is one of the more important things to learn in the dogs.

The guy that turned me onto the dogs I felt could read a dog on a mill better than anyone I ever met. A dog was never worked a minute extra or a minute light. He was spot on o every session.

Another one of Jack's quips was the dogs he bred could over come these type things, basically, since he bred them. LOL

S

19. He doesn't really go in to depth about breeding in his book? I have yet to read a book that advises people on what to look for in a stud dog or a brood bitch, what lines mix well, etc.

20. stedz

stedz Top Dog

Breed your best, to the best, and hope for the best.

bollybok likes this.