1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

anyone own american johnson bulldogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by quinny, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

just cuz youve never seen one dont mean they aint out there. mine was bred down off working farm dogs in southern GA, the parents were rock solid with family, yet mine put a crunch on my arm that was unreal. never been bitten like that before. ive been told BS like my height spooked him, it was my fault cuz i was new to the breed, etc....either way, ill stick to the breed of dog i do trust. the APBT in their true form

2. popper

popper CH Dog

lmfao my height spooked umm ... you a jolyy green giant? bout the craziest shit iv heard

3. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

6'5"...maybe 6'6"

4. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

As far as saying they were "junk". I only meant in comparison to "real" bulldogs that JDJ diverged from by adding show English Bulldog and Bull Mastiff to his line. The men actually working these dogs in the swamps catching hog, catching stock on their farm, and killing coyotes in their fields are the ones I got my info from. Not a K-9 Bodyguard book. The JDJ are better for manwork in their opinion because the guys I know don't breed for or encourage or tolerate human aggression. The Southern Whites are considered good WATCHDOGS though because they will announce a stranger but will accept strangers as soon as the owner does. I only meant in comparison, not trying to bash JDJ but he admitted his crosses many years ago and its common knowledge in parts of the south that nothing can beat a good Old Southern White in 99 percent of Bulldog work.

5. ya i agree with that..i wasnt jumping the gun,,,,.your always gonna have good and bad in a breed... the ones ive run across were pretty good .

6. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

Didn't Sure Grip breed that dog Chance from the movie Homeward Bound?

I'm surprised people who have a problem with dogs being HA would even get an American Bulldog they are known to be more HA then an APBT.
    I like the breed myself looked into gettin one many years ago. The Johnson strain tends to be bigger with more of a bulldog look to em the Scott strain tends to be a smaller more athletic dog more like a big APBT in body.

7. venom

venom Top Dog

anybody know of some American Bulldoggs's of quality for a good price?

8. Erie Outlawz

Erie Outlawz CH Dog

When i looked into gettin one they have their own internet sites i found a ton of info pretty easy online and kennels and stuff like that as far as price good luck with that i havent checked on the breed for many years now but they tended to be kinda pricey but that was like 15 years ago got know clue now.

9. venom

venom Top Dog

Yeah most dogs i see range around 2k and up for a good quality dog. I'm just not trying to throw down that kind of cash on an american bulldogg.

The female i had, i got her for 350 lol can't beat that she was a good dog but fucken ate everything. she died a pup cuz she litterally ate a brick and a soccer ball. The pieces of brick didnt kill her but the soccer ball string that holds it together got all intwined and fucked up her intestines so the recovery time would be too hard on her to remove that much of her intestines. Good dog though, huge pup.

10. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

theres people (mostly older guys) around here who use them as farm dogs and catch dogs, who will sometimes sell them. They usually arent papered but hes most likely got several dogs in a particular litters ped for you to look at and he can probably recite a four generation ped for you. They arent show dogs by any means but they are true working american bulldogs

11. Robber

Robber Big Dog

I have seen some that were very nice dogs, but on the whole, they seem to be way more prone to snapping at whoever or whatever is close by when they get worked up. Maybe it is that I just don't get their aloof, mastiff-like "personality" or whatever you want to call it, but many of them seem dumb, too, at least compared to your typical APBT.

12. jbh38

jbh38 Big Dog

If you want a bulldog, go to the man himself, Alan Scott. I noticed he had a couple for sell the other day when I looked at his site. Alan is a great person, that is where I got my patterdales from.
    http://www.owlhollowkennels.com/Annoucements.html

If you really want to know about bulldogs, Alan would be the man to talk to.

13. David L

David L Pup

If you want a house/guard dog you might also look into the presa canarios or cane corsos.

14. venom

venom Top Dog

yeah, i rather an american dog.

15. david63

david63 CH Dog

yes Alan Scott or Don Matthews or Art Parker Are very knowledgeable about the Bulldogs and the Breed.

16. sega

sega Big Dog

I had an American bulldog yrs ago, I was young as hell like 9 or 10 n prolly shouldnt have owned the dog but my dads friend Dave "rip" gave her to me for free. with no parents really arnd I spent 90% of my free time with her, great dog down for anything n never turned on me but that bitch was the most HA dog I ever seen, she tryed to get at people Like they were bait. Unfortunily I was moved back down to LA due to court battles with parents n when I left her she killed my uncle's lab mix n her whole litter of pups so he shot her in the head, I found that out when I saved the money 2 months later n was gonna get her down here from AL

17. david63

david63 CH Dog

I had an AB to was a great dog too. but when my wife became pregnant. it was not until we came home from the hospital with my twin boys he started acting very aggressive towards the babies through the glass sliding door he would sit there and trembling would not take is eye off of them. From that minute on would not trust him around my baby boys. or any other young kids either. I bought him with no papers to and he was a good looking dog about 100 pounds. you just never know.

18. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I hadn't seen this pic before,nice looking dog.Sucks it bit you though.

19. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i think that might be the only pic of Thor i have. 8 or 9 years ago we had some methheads that were making me uncomfortable as neighbors so we decided to get something thatd make for a guard dog when i was on the road working. nothing else i owned or wanted would have cut the mustard, so thats the breed we went with. luckily, their garage burnt down in a methlab gone bad incident and they moved on. LOL

20. jhy

jhy Pup

Johnson used EB and St. Bernard in his original crosses and yes they have no heat tolerance. In fact all lines of the AB that have used in the past could not handle the heat and work load that my Pits do, but I had to work a little harder with the Pits to get a solid handle. I still have a Johnson type male and if I was going to get another AB for a yard dog it would be a Prell blooded AB if you can find one. My Prell male is 11 yrs old and is a very healthy and stable dog.