1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

anyone own american johnson bulldogs?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by quinny, Feb 9, 2010.

1. quinny

quinny Big Dog

What do you think? Temperament, drive, energy levels etc.. Some people talk them up like no tommorow. Sorry guys just dont know too much about em.:confused:

2. ccourtcleve

ccourtcleve Big Dog

I have a friend who owns one. He is a very happy, high energy dog. Never seen any problems from his temperament, very friendly dog, and he seems to be very willing to work. :)

3. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

Johnson line American Bulldogs are junk. Look into Scott, Margentina, or Southern White bulldogs if you want the real thing. Johnson's have low stamina, human aggression,low heat tolerance..etc ...etc The other lines I mentioned are the real working Bulldogs. There are some who've crossed the Johnson line back into the working lines like Sure-Grip. But if a good thing is available, why settle for less.

4. WAR_PAINT

WAR_PAINT Big Dog

I got a friend W/ some true working AB's. I'll hook you up W/ his link if you wan't to check him out.

5. quinny

quinny Big Dog

yeh thanks warpaint that'd be great! Ive seen some of those southern white dogs and they look the goods, whats the difference? Are southern white working and johnson show dogs? They seem to be a pretty rock solid dog from what ive heard and researched! Thanks again guys...

6. pitbb

pitbb Pup

I had a Johnson type American Bulldog, good dog. Confident, steady nerves, and made a good guard dog. I'd say medium high energy level but in short spurts, I know other Johnson owners have said that theirs had good wind but mine not so much. He was same-sex DA and lived to the age of 8 passing away from cancer.

7. quinny

quinny Big Dog

good to hear guys! sounds like it might be my kind of bulldog. Im thinking of getting another house dog/guard dog. and these and the fila's have come to mind. Im not too keen on the fila, being it too prone to hip displaysia and other nasties..

8. venom

venom Top Dog

I just don't like the way the fila looks, but i hear they are excellent dogs... on the internet that is, Never from anyone who personally owns them. I've owned a handfull of American Bulldogs from different lines, all were exceptional dogs with good tempermants. Bit of a bull in a china shop though... they run into alot of shit and break things like its nothing. So if u plan on keeping it in the house at any time or chaining it to anything other than the ground, beware.

i tied a female to my moms deck for a few seconds while i was giving my moms boxer a quick bath and she ripped the top half of the deck off from the house to run and get some water out of the hose lol she liked to be sprayed and try to drink from it.

9. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

had a Scott 5 years ago. HAD...bite the hand that feeds you was the end of him. my left forearm still hurts from time to time.

Attached Files:

10. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

if i was to get an American Bulldog it would be from Scott or Old Southern White (White English) lines or a cross of those to, they are great catch dogs when bred specifically bred for that purpose

11. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

yea thats pretty much how it goes around here

12. grave digger

grave digger Top Dog

Yeah that's true the one i had in o1 was people biter that's why i got reed of him

13. bux

bux Pup

look for the scott type or 'standard'

friend at our dog club bred his standard bitch to johnson stud. ( to increase mass and bone) The bitch had drive for 2.
    outcome was outstanding!All the dogs are working and performing!
    info on perfomance american bulldogs( scott type) : http://true-grit.org

Few pics of the littermates..

Tyson
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DeeDee
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Borat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dolly
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Darah
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bindi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Face
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Southern White bulldogs are the best imo

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
  15. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

lol, years ago, I had a Scott/Johnson hybrid. I ended up spaying her & she got placed with my landlord's elderly mother. She is beautiful dog & is a great watch dog, but she was too DA & she drew WAY too much attention to myself & my yard b/c so many people thought she was a muscled up giant "pitt." lol.

And speaking of such, remember, ABs fall under the "pit bull" umbrella, so a bite by an AB - even if it is a legit bite - can be (& likely will be) considered a "pit bull attack." :rolleyes:

I say if you want a guard dog, get a guard dog (i.e. Doberman, GSD, etc.). Most people don't mess with them & a bite by a guardian breed will not get you in trouble with the law.

JMHO ...

Blessings ...

16. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

very true, when we had our ABulldog, i was asked all the time when i was gonna breed him to one of my APBT bitches because thats what they thought he was. he was nearly 100 lbs too:eek:

17. popper

popper CH Dog

bout the most ugly dog ..... the genral public will think the AB is a pitbull.. and wheneve someone gets mauled or bit , if it has muscle or a big head its a pitbull

18. deepsouth

deepsouth Big Dog

Agreed. I'd stay away from the Johnson type dogs. I'm sure they're some good examples of them to be found, but a lot of them are junk (not to mention ridiculously overpriced). You might want to look into a Standard type American Bulldog. Standards are bred more for workability, especially hog catch and they tend to be have better temperaments overall. You also have Hybrids which are a cross between a Johnson and Standard.

19. mntman2003

mntman2003 CH Dog

yrs ago I went to Raging bull kennels (school boys big red) and he had a Johnson dog....it was worm food too for MA reasons.

20. I dont know where you're getting this info but its clearly wrong..I've had 3 and i've personally know 5 others...GREAT dogs... you can run em through the ringer..its an all purpose breed.. especially a kid protecter . Ive never seen one that was human aggessive.. read the book " Working American Bulldog" and "K-9 Bodyguards".. It might change your mind. I certainly woulndnt call them junk.