1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Amazing the way perspectives can change.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Harvey, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Harvey

Harvey Big Dog

I've been exploring this forum quite a bit, since before we brought Begonia home. And I've found a lot of useful information, concerning responsible dog ownership, as well as the history of the APBT. And it's helping me learn, and I'm grateful for that.

I have, however, found that my opinion(s) about these dogs has changed dramatically, due in part to reading this forum and participating in discussions here lately, reading other websites as well, ones which are on both sides of the BSL fence, and of course, from observing Bagonia, studying her habits, training her and you know, trying to make sure I raise her to be a happy, healthy, well-adjusted dog.

I'm the type of guy that roots for the "underdog", always have been. I think it's in my genetic makeup, or something -if that's even possible. I used to hear all kinds of fanciful and romanticized stories about the plight of the APBT in America (and elsewhere), and by-and-large, the description of these dogs as, generally-speaking: kind, people-friendly, gentle-with-kids, intelligent, loving creatures was what made me want one. I came to this from the "These dogs are misunderstood, and can be trustworthy, friendly, loyal companions in the hands of the right people, and they don't deserve the bad reputation they have at the moment." mindset.

And then I learned that not every "Pit Bull" you meet is an APBT. And the bottom dropped out. I also learned that not every APBT you meet is cared for and handled by responsible, informed owners...

You probably know this alread, but in the event that you don't, there is an organization out there called: DogsBite.org, a "victim's support" organization which "helps" victims of vicious dogs, and champions the BSL agenda for them, on their behalf.

I have looked over and read their website thoroughly, and I have read the heartbreaking stories they post there, about men, women and children who have been critically injured and in some cases killed, by APBT's, Rottweilers, and the like ("vicious" dogs). I DO NOT want anybody who knows my dog to be profiled on that website. I, in no way, shape, or form want my dog mentioned in any context on that website.

When I first brought Beggie home, I loved that all the neighbors and their kids could walk over to her and she'd greet them with the wagging tail and the gentle face-licking. "Oh what a sweet little pit bull!" they'd say, and she has indeed brought a lot of smiles to a lot of faces. And it helps her, too, because, as I learned here on game-dog.org, socialization, and observation with people is of the utmost importance.

But here's the thing...

A lot of people out there, in the APBT community, the AMBULLY community, the Staffie community and the like(s), tout the friendliness and stuff, which is great, and people listen, which is wonderful, and, well, some folks out there breed sub-standard dogs, and neglect them. What happens when a child who met, and made friends with, my dog meets another dog "out there", APBT or not, whilst outside playing and tries to make friends with him, too, when he is not of the mindset to make friends...

I actually asked myself, "Am I putting the breed in danger because I let people meet my friendly 'pittie', possibly setting them up for a disaster with a dog who isn't as stable?"

...yeah, I know.

I'm not one to buy into hysteria. But at the same time, my dog has brought far too many improvements to my over-all quality of life than can be counted here, and frankly, I don't want to f--k it up for everybody else.

I still believe that by-and-large, APBT's are great dogs, friendly, trustworthy, fearless and loyal. But I also believe, now, that when Begonia and I meet people, I ought to spend less time talking about "how well behaved and sweet she is" and more time encouraging them to look at the dogs they meet as individuals, and to not assume that any doggie they come to meet on the street, APBT or not, is friendly.

I know, it's up to the person to educate themselves, and to use common sense, but I think it might be a good thing for me, as an owner who's making every effort possible to be a responsible one, encourage that folks don't make assumptions, and treat each dog they meet as an individual.

I don't want my neighbor's son running up to the 70 lb. blue because he met Begonia and she was friendly towards him, anymore than I would want Begonia to hurt a little one, or an adult, herself. Ultimately, that would only reflect poorly on her and the breed, under both circumstances. Thing is, all I can do is keep raising my dog right, I can't control what somebody else does with their dog (and I don't want that job). Maybe, however, I can use her friendly, happy disposition, as "a way in", to encourage folks to:

a. exercise extreme care in meeting new dogs (of any breed)
    b. always look at dogs (again, of any breed) as individuals, some, because of their environment and breeding (things that aren't their fault) may have a prediliction to hurt you, while others can sleep snoring away next to your toddler on the couch.

Perhaps what I'm trying to become cognizant of here, and type out intelligibly, is that part of "the problem" is that, as a whole, folks spend too much time looking at the "Breed" and too little time looking at each animal in question as an individual. If there was a more balanced perspective, Wild Side Kennels dogs might still be alive. Perhaps BSL wouldn't have anywhere near as strong a support network as it does, and perhaps there'd be fewer dog bites (and dog bite related fatalities) all around.

Come ask me for permission to pet my dog, I'll let you, and I'll remind you that it's never a good idea to assume friendliness, or viciousness, in any dog you meet, but that it always pays to be calm and observe the animal as an individual.

I guess we, as APBT owners / fanciers did inadvertently step in to a lot more responsibility than most dog owners. And like I said, I don't want to mess anything up for anybody else, or any other dogs, because I failed in some way. I love my dog, and this breed, too much for that.

Just my two cents on Friday afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  2. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Well thought. Well put.