1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

A Question About What Makes A Cur...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Harvey, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Harvey

Harvey Big Dog

I was looking through some of the older posts on this site, and I found one regarding a user that has long since been banned. Anyway, this question isn't about users, but rather, about an interesting snipped I read in one of the comments.

Here it is:

"A cur like that will always tuck tail and snap when called upon to do the right thing!"

And it got me thinking about this dog I used to know.

His name was Toby, and he was a Min Pin. That animal had THE MOST disagreeable temperament I have ever seen! I once saw him grab a bic pen off the coffee table, run under the bed with it, and when confronted he started shaking, snarling and snapping. All his owner was doing was standing there, calling him to come out and "drop it."

I was amazed at how aggro he was.

And the entire time I knew him and his owner, about 4 years, I heard of him biting at least 10 people.

Anyway, all mistakes his owner made aside, I wanted to know if "man biters" were considered curs in the working APBT community, that is to say, a properly-bred APBT will not slink off and snap at you when confronted (fairly and directly, of course) for undesirable behaviors, like snatching something that his owner hasn't given him permission to have; and in the event he does, is he considered a cur?

I ask, because my puppy has entered what my wife calls "the terrible twos, for dogs" and she's looking for boundaries. The other day I heard a rustling in the kitchen, then the sound of tiny nails on top of the drier. And then more rustling, and out pranced begonia, happy as a clam at high tide, after grabbing the bag of treats off of the shelf above the drier LOL she hopped up on the drier, climbed up there and got them down, then came prancing out into the living room. I had to laugh. Anyway, I went over to her, to take the bag, which she had between her paws as she commenced to rip her prize open, and I called her name, got her attention, and she looked up at me and let me reach down and take them from her. No muss. No fuss. No snap, no growling, just my happy-go-lucky puppy sitting there looking me. She was fine. No "guarding" or "hoarding" behavior at all! I had her get up, come to the kitchen, sit, lie down and gave her a little piece of steak for that one. It reminded me of the time Toby took my shoe, and gave me a bite so bad I had to get stitches.

I love my dog LOL

2. Advocate

Advocate Big Dog

Seems like most people these days dont know a cur from a dog at a dog park. Only one way to find out and its outlawed.

I suppose the old dog men knew if they had a man biter it can potentially kill someone so they culled fast i thank them for that. Can you imagine if we had Pit Bulls acting like Min Pins!

3. KeystoneState

KeystoneState Big Dog

Like Chinaman, Blackie, Bullyson, Zebo, and Virgil, to name a few?:eek:

4. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

yea and if they had not, dang we would have a few more problems than we do now....(media,laws,opinions)

5. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

As much as I don't like a dog that bites,that doesn't make it a curr to me.To me a curr is one that quits.The other is a manbiter,not desirable at all but it's different.

6. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I think alot of ankle biters get away with stuff bigger dogs wouldn't because they don't pose as much threat.Probably still deserve the same dirt nap IMHO.

7. Harvey

Harvey Big Dog

Ah, okay, so with regards to APBT's, the way a dog is judged as a cur or not has to do with whether it quits, though being a man biter, in nearly all cases (with a few exceptions, I heard Chinaman would occasionally bite) is not desirable also, for obvious reasons.

Makes sense, when breeding for gameness. And I guess it was a good thing, too, as, today these dogs are used for a lot of things, like hog hunting. Now, I don't hunt hogs, I have no idea how large they get, but I do know that they can be real, real surly (according to my uncle, an avid hunter). You wouldn't want dogs in the field with you that'd quit when they had a good hold on an animal that, if he got loose, could charge and kill you. Common sense.

Hey, thanks for the input and the information guys, I appreciate it.

8. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

i talked to this dogman earlier from overseas and he says that no1 uses pits anymore. they are all watered down curs and get demolished... seriously like 20 minutes ago

9. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i guess he dont know where to find one then:rolleyes:

10. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

They've been working for 100 years,he must be using bullies,LOL Seriously though,I wouldn't put to much stock in what he says if that's what he thinks.

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

yeah it is kind've hard but i have ben able to find some stuff that looks good to me. its just not out in the open, prob for obvious reason. i dont believe what he is saying but still i was curious if anyone knew more info. I love apbt's, other than maybe a Johnsons american bulldog i cant really see myself with another breed. but he doesn't use them and he said that americans who bring there dogs get embarassed. He said that the dogs of today just aren't the same.

12. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

To be honest with you,that's probably got more to do with his views of America than it does with the APBT.There was a europeon on this board a while back saying the american dogs were trash,while the euro stuff were great.He just ain't met the right dogs yet :D