1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Who keeps an GB dog as a housepet

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Coachmcewan, Jul 15, 2011.

1. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

I always have 2 in the house.Now when the boy was younger we never left them alone untill he was older.I dont trust any breed of dog around young one's.Always keep on the def just incase.It can be a hassle but worth it to some.

2. venom

venom Top Dog

Good read. real descriptive... the rolling thunder in the dogs soul lol

3. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

can someone post the link to the new day thread

4. I have done this in the past. I have never had any bad results but I always made sure that they were always properly exercised.

I would be wary of one thing. Don't allow the pet to be around only one person in the house. I mean make sure that all have the dogs attention. You do not want him to develop a favorite. What can happen is that the dog will go into protection mode over something stupid and then you have problems.

5. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

Cant find it on my post's or the search.Did it get erased?Was a good one.

6. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

All mine have been housedogs although we do use supplemental chaining and crate/kennel and rotate because we have multiple dogs. Here's my most recent addition doing laps on the 30 foot tether with my eight year old.... lol

[​IMG]

7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

It all boils down to each INDIVIDUAL dog regardless of bloodline etc. You can have 2 dogs from the same litter one being crazy hyper insane and one that it is totally mellow and calm.

Also I feel this breed of dog is NOT for everyone as you need to be a very responsible as well as experienced owner to handle these type of dogs BUT if you are very experienced and responsible then the GB pitbull would make just a good house pet as any other breed of dog out there.

No animal is 100% trust worthy around kids, shit some people wouldnt even trust some relatives with there kids LOL. As long as you trust your dog enough and you are very responsible and experience owner then it should be alright to keep a GB dog as a house pet.

8. chaser71

chaser71 Banned

Bloodline shouldn't matter I have raised all kinds in the house.Some worked good some not so good.My Lonzo dogs tend to keep better in the house,Then what my Garner dog does.Got a heavy bolio bitch in the house now she is working out real nice.

9. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

dogs should never be inside house... period

10. coach

coach Big Dog

I disagree w/this quote.....pitbulls.....game dogs are the most stable,courageous,trustworthy,intelligent dogs period.Bred correctly they tend to have less defective personality traits due to a good dog mans hard work.They are especially tolerant of children.

11. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

If your worrying about accidents well infants commonly suffocate themselves on there own stuffed animals or die from falling down he stairs you should watch your kids no matter what lol around a dog or not period....but my 3 your old son feeds waters and even disciplines my dogs when they get overkill with the licking haha why own something you dont trust? i dont let them on the couch and bed because i dont want hair everywhere they have there own couch in there room.... and you wouldnt take your vette to the grocery store or drive it to work? and some of u r being contradicting of your own views if your afraid of them around your children wouldn't that mean u own unstable dogs? dare say it manbiters....why couldnt u let them around others children in a daycare you fight to say that there not manbiters and that all such should be culled well then they should be fine around children correct? the MOST stable dog is the well bred american pitbull terrier if you dont trust yours own something different

12. venom

venom Top Dog

No animal should be trusted with children because dogs lack the power to reason. You do not know what kind of impulses your dog gets when it sees another being at eye level. The dogs are bred to be stable enough to have a grown man touch them and handle them when they got broken bones or are in the middle of trying to eat another animal... how that correlates to a dog being always stable and friendly to a small child that is vulnderable and is at eye level? It is not the same thing.

13. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

thats bs i grew up with dogs my whole life of all breeds shapes and sizes thats not at all how dogs look at the world sorry your wrong lol watch something on dogs they adopt as a pack you should worry more about your dog challenging you then a child they see the child as a puppy thats why dogs tend to defend your kids way faster then they defend u thats why my dogs go away when my neighbors kids come over because i get worried about rough play between the kids could result in a defensive action from the dogs research it most deaths too infants are accidental not a direct attack and when they were the dog had shown signs from the gate of it being an unstable dog when you get down to eye level does your dog try to attack you? i hope not

14. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

but again watch your kids period......lol dog no dog playing eating sleeping watch your kids something can always can go wrong but i dont think u have to watch them anymore around your dog if your dog can be trusted than u should normally

15. venom

venom Top Dog

Its not about how a dog views the world lol its about impulses and hundreds of generations of genetic engineering driving the car. The dog was made to destroy... not to be your kids best bud.

bulldogs are the furthest removed from a pack animal... that would be the last thing I would watch in reference to how a bulldog will interact with other beings.

Who the hell told you that bullshit lmao. sounds like some ceasar milan shit goin on here. Our bulldogs are pack animals and see your kids as puppies! I hope not, cuz i've had and seen plenty dogs of many breeds that will not only kill their own litter but will eat a pup of any age.

16. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

i never keep any dog inside i think that dogs r 4 outside the only thing is when i invite them in

17. Tiger12490

Tiger12490 Big Dog

simply il agree to disagree cesar milan also has nothing to do with this conversation at all and no dogs is removed from a pack animal just because they were bred to attack other dogs means nothing at all there were champions that could hit the square and come home and chill with the other dogs in the house they can hunt in packs to go after game and they were made to destroy dogs not humans bottom line is a difference in the matter of opinion

18. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

The hardest part is making sure your kids know the dog stays in the house or a fenced area. They have a tendency to want to let your dog out to play with them. I was a kid with them and then a parent with them, no dog I would trust more with kids and less with dogs! .)

19. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

I just got one as a house pet. He's heavy Bolio, 3 months old, and will probably weigh in 38-40 lbs. I almost went with an American Bulldog from a hog catching line but didn't. I've always loved the APBT and didn't want to regret going with another breed.
    Game breds are easy keepers, eat less, and crap less. They take less space. He can handful though. I have to walk him in the morning and evening for about twenty to thirty minutes each bout. I can't leave him unattended for one minute in the house or he'll be tugging or chewing on something. We rotate lots of toys. He's only had about one potty accident so far.
    The only thing that worries me most is when the kids get the playing he starts to nip and bite. So supervision around them is 100%. When he's out with them I'm watching like a hawk and we ignore him after he nips or play bites. If it's an ongoing problem we may use the bullhorn and then move to the shock collar.
    We have a parrot that he ignores. Not planning on getting any other dogs. He seems to tolerate other dogs around the neighborhood for now. When he's six months we'll begin jogging a mile and move up from there.

20. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Good post Venom!