1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

What is this and how do i get rid of it???

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Jay671, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Jay671

Jay671 Big Dog

[​IMG]
    What is that? She has not been bred yet(I know cause she is with me all the time and she is my house dog) and she is worked out ALOT. Is it just fats or what?? She 16 months old now, and has had 2 heat cycles.. oh and she is also lactating.. Could it be a false pregnancy??

2. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

Yup, it's a false pregnancy. Only thing to get rid of it is time. When she is done, she should stop producing milk and shrink back up- that is mammary tissue, not fat.

Genevieve

3. bullydogs

bullydogs Top Dog

Had the same happen to my female last year. Happens a lot within this breed.

4. SAM_I_AM

SAM_I_AM Big Dog

I have one that does it about once a year. they will shrink back up when its over.

anyone know what causes a false preg?

5. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

False pregnancy is the body throwing a temper tantrum because it wants to be pregnant. The way to fix it is to spay the dog. Unless you have very very good reason to breed the dog should be fixed. False pregnancy can lead to pyrometria(sp) and can trigger breast cancer as well.

6. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Yeah, Tess has two false pregnancy out of her three heat cycles. She is spayed now though. Now I believe Locus is going through a false pregnancy. She just finished her first heat cycle. I'll probably get her spayed sooner than I did Tess.

7. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Are those always tied to false pregnancies? Are there varying degrees of false prego? Terra got some of that stuff after her first heat, but not as much as the dog above. She didn't produce milk either, that I'm aware of. It seems to be mostly gone now, about 5 weeks after the end of her cycle, but you can see what I'm talking about in the attached pic.

Attached Files:

8. I have a friend who has two two-year-old bitches and they ALWAYS seem to be in false pregnancy. As everyone else has said, the only way to get rid of it permanently is to spay the dog.

9. game_test

game_test Top Dog

keep an eye on the pyometra. it can kill your dog fast and a pyo spay costs 10X as much as a normal spay.

you can google to find symptoms. i have had this worry a couple times.