1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

water and workout

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by flame, Sep 13, 2010.

1. flame

flame Pup

just wanting to no some thoughts on dogs drinking water straight after an intense workout

2. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

dogs always need water available to them after,before, and during a workout.

3. preme

preme CH Dog

Nothing wrong went fresh water after work outs , very improtant that they are hydrated .

4. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

i always let them drink..
    bud not way to much.
    nice and slow.:)

5. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

most dogs whont drink that much by themzelfs, bud sometimes they do.

6. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i like to use pedialyte instead of h20 after a hard days work out.

7. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

isn't it harmful for them to drink while they are panting so heavily still? I usually wait for the panting to calm down greatly to consume as much water as she pleases. If it is a warmer day I will let her have a couple of drinks but not to much while she is still panting.

8. If you ever ran or did an intense work out dont you want to drink water an rehydrate your self?? that helps with rehealing an calms them down aan relax..From my personal experience of doin it to myself is to take only small amounts at a time, dont let them drink a entire bowl in one sitting take it slow.. I second that pedialyte

9. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I thought the same thing, and have been doing that same thing! lol

10. old goat

old goat CH Dog

if you just took them of a mill . walk them to cool off for 5-10 minutes until their not panting . if their tongue is turning up at the end and they're panting and starting to make a sound coming from they're throat give then water right then . if not give the water after the 5-10 min. cool down walk . make sure to watch them while doing mill work to watch the tongue . just going for a walk take a bottle of water with you if it's hot and the suns out . or the dog could have a heat stroke .

11. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

This is my thoughts and only my thoughts. No fluid one before the workout at least and no fluids at least one hour after the work, I might give them one or two glups of water, I mean hardly anything if it is really hot just to get that hot taste of a workout gone from their mouth. Truly it depends on what point of conditioning they are into, final days before a conformation hell no, they are getting nothing except the schedule. But soon as they are done working hard, cool down walk 10 mins, rubdown first and straight to the crate to cool down in a quite place, not the kennel or the yard inside maybe the garage but not in the A/C bad for them after a long workout. Then after the hour, drink all they want with no problems at all. Your dog itself is the best tell tale though. The reason you don't let them especially bully owners, deep chested breeds can die from to much consumption of water and air at once especially after work outs, basically to much air ends up inside the stomach of the dog, it is called bloat.

12. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

a nice 15min to 20min rubdown afther any work out is always best

13. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

The dog needs to cool down without any help, so i dont like giving them water while working them.

14. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

I let them take a couple licks to get there tongue and mouth wet...then wait for them to completely cool-down. Then feed!

15. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

i feed my dogs always and the and of the evening.
    eat and than sleep.:)

16. che

che Top Dog

so exactly

17. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

sounds like it is correct to have them cool down before they can re hydrate fully:dogdrink:

18. blackbisquit

blackbisquit Banned

exect is just like perfeckt imposeble :);):rolleyes:

19. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

dogs don't sweat like we do..I use to use pedialyte all the time but it will throw your dogs electrolytes balance off. It will also bloat your dog or allow them to hold more water than you want due to the sodium it provides!

YIS

YIS

20. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

thanks gundu i will try out that mix your talking about. pedialyte has done me good for a long time. as with anything over doing it has a downside.