1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

This is what this site is about!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Marty, Jul 16, 2006.

1. kensloft

kensloft Big Dog

Wow! What a read.

My dog's dad was a pedigreed dog from Washington State. His mother was a pedigree from Britain. What they made was this working dog that for the past ten years has, literally, dragged me around from pillar to post. I have often been told that I can break him of this habit but wasn't interested in doing so because I saw that he loved this part of our excursions. It kept us both healthy. He is ten and people are startled by this fact. When they see how robust he is for his age you can see the wheels turning in their heads.

When Ontario enacted their pit bull legislation I fled with my dog because I understood that the outcome of this battle would have been after the fact, meaning that he would have been mutilated/castrated while the issue was before the courts. Out here people have not been as bad about the breed because they are only hearing about what has happened in Ontario.

When they find themselves judging the dog for themselves they then realize that there is something amiss. What they hear in the media does not add up to what they see before their eyes. People that are fearful of the dog attacking their dogs quickly realize that their misgivings about the breed are far-fetched at best. Because of his demeanour people are not afraid to let him approach.

One thing they understand is that he is a bad A$$ and would make short work of any dog that thought it was tough. He doesn't go after smaller dogs because... ? They welcome him around because they know that he is a dog first and foremost. Romping with other dogs is his first priority. When people see him they always comment on what a nice looking specimen he is. The first words out of my mouth are "He's a real sweetheart too!" Seeing is believing. They've seen and now they are believing.

When people ask me what kind of dog he is, I proudly tell them that he is a Staffordshire. When the vacant look comes up I state that he is the grand daddy of the pit bull. If it is a pit bull mix then you know that somewhere along the line there's a Staff involved.

I like this site because there is one thing in common and that is that we all love this breed of dog. We all understand that it is being abused by society because of the fear-mongering of bsl-ites and the such. The only thing that I want is that the breed survives this onslaught by uneducated, close-minded idiots that think that they and only they can speak to the masses about these canines.

I love how this site empowers people to resist the demon BSL by giving them the information and moral support that they need.

There is only one kind of person here and that is lover of the breed. Game dog, pet bull... yadda yadda yadda... are only semantics. We are learning from each other and we do learn we all have our opinions to which we are entitled to as long as there is no abuse of the dogs occurring. To some abuse seems to be letting the dog grow fat while lying on the couch whereas, to others, keeping their dog's physical condition by unconventioinal means is abuse. Whatever!

The name of the game is liberating our breed from the self-righteous liars. This is what we are doing. Whether we know it or not, we are working together towards our common goal... life and liberty for our canine friends who are using us to speak on their behalf.

laurajean and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Attila

Attila Guest

Well I read the whole thread. For the most part even though it could have not been so it was very civil. There were some tremendiously good post and allot of relations developing and strengthening. Legally we all have a dog that can no longer be used as a bull baiting dog or fighting so essentially the must be concidered a pet or a working dog of another nature than once were. Most people showed maturity in their post and I was glad to read them. Mr NCprisonguard you seem like a nice fellow don't become discuraged. We have a combinations of folks here young, older, Some pet some working and show etc. Varying walks of life. One common thing we all share is a love of the breed. Some times we have to step out of our own selves and look at another person from their eyes. We all can be over critical of each other. When I had something to say to another I say it blunt and to the point. I don't give negative feedback for that I just say my view on the issue and go on. I will and do give positive where it is due. The reason I refrain from giving negative is because I can't possibly see every side of the box sitting in one spot. As far as I know only two people ever walked on water and one faltered and went into the water. No one is perfect. No one knows every thing there is to know about a dog or any event in life. Some know more than others. I know allot about Biochemistry, animals, farming and combat. I don't assume that every one knows something or everything otherwise we would have little to talk about if at all. would be damn boring I say. I have developed many friends on this site. Ones that I truely believe care about my well being and I theirs this I know. Sedalia was so worried about me that he called many times. I was out of commision but finally got back to him. I believe he was about to send out the National Guard looking for me or drive down to check on me. That is very kind of him. Sign of a true friend indeed.

History of our breed and the preservation of it is very important to know. It helps us understand the dog better. No matter if it is a pet or not. Pets are important to people. A pit bull can be that and work at the same time or just be a pet. They are a fine breed of dog. Our age or how long we have been with a breed does not make us a historian. The ability to gain, absorb and retain information does. Rock has done a fine job at that. Is he perfect in all aspects. No and neither is anyone else in this world. We should never through stones in a glass house. Even though Rock is young he has granted me some good versed and competitive corrispondance. We worked through a problem and I believe it gave us both a better grasp at life. One thing is certain in life you will have conflict. How you deal with it is where you land in the end. Cold and alone or warm with some fine friends. We can all learn something from other folks. I have even learned a little about some people I would have never associated with otherwise. Wouldn't have given them the time of day before I came here. It has actually out side of information on dogs has been theraputic to me. I was on the fast track of hating every one that walked the earth. Yes I was reverting into my shell becoming more indwelled in thoughts of combat and drawing further away from society. I even went to a show. and am getting involved in other things. There is one thing I know more than dogs and animal biochemistry and physics and that is combat. I don't care what this site is, was or will be but what ever it is it suites me just fine. I will embrace it as my own family. Game dogs they are if you use them as a pet, work, show, agility or hunt I am good and happy you do. I don't fight my dogs, or any other animal. I will fight myself sometimes and maybe another person but I would never fight my dogs. Often the behavior I notice is like little bantum roosters. Poking the chest out and ruffling the feathers but ain't got the a$$ to back it up in the street. Seriously you need to check that at the door or meet some place in person and duke it out. I don't gamble but I would be glad to call it. This site is every thing it needs to be. It has to maintain boundries. Even I don't like boundries but it is better than jail. One thing is for sure if only a person has negative stuff to say then it isn't worth the time to say it. If your not part of the solution you're part of the problem. Plain and simple, cut and dry. In twenty years I still want to be able to raise my dogs. That is it in a nut shell.

3. Mercepitdog

Mercepitdog Big Dog

Man, so many people where bad mouthing this site saying it turned into this and that, when they didnt even know the purpose of the forum. I'm glad it is what it is, if they want to talk pure bulldogs, there are other personal forums for that. If I spot someone ignorant in pitbulls, I steer them here. Good educational site for first time owner and nice chatting for people in and out of bulldogs. I like the fact that even the owners of the bluffs can come here and get educated as well.

Nice work guys, marty, shon and staff, and hoping for many any more years and the growth of this forum.

4. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

Please don't believe the propoganda. Treadmills, swimtanks, and chains has nothing to do with a working dog in any aspect. It is a sign of a properly exercised and contained dog. Nothing more. Treadmills and swimtanks are great exercise; chains properly contain a dog. Nothing more. Show dogs are often put on treadmills and swim tanks. Are they working dogs? Hell no. Also, just because a dog is on the chain, it does not mean that the dog is not properly socialized and taken care of. It does not hinder its quality of life. My dog is on a chain maybe 10% of the time but if you saw my dog on the chain you would automatically assume that he sits on the chain all day and is never paid any attention? Please stop feeding into the bullshit. My dog is a companion foremost but he is worked hard. He gets the flirt pole and springpole every day. He swims at least once a week. If I had a swim tank or treadmill I sure as hell would use it. Just because someone takes care of their dogs properly, it does not mean that they have any other intentions other than taking care of their dog.

catcher T likes this.
  5. runt

runt Big Dog

the difference is centipede was a natural house dog he wasn't trained and he earned his right to be inside

6. runt

runt Big Dog

Pitbull communitys-my vote:rolleyes:

7. all i really have to say is good ridence to the boy who tried to take rock down a notch for his own personel gain.to me people who try to discredit someone to get their point across is the lowest kind of varmit there is.but everyone knows where rock stands on things and to be honest i have never had a problem with him he is always very respectful and acts like a gentleman and thats the trait of a good person in my opinion,like was said earlier we all had to start somewheres and there is no shame in that the shame comes from staying ignorant and thats exactley what that other person done.keep up the good work rock[​IMG]

8. It is too bad N M PITS was banned. What he had to say was not in agreement with many but it was still his to say. I am sure 14, I or someone else would have shown him the light.

Well, it is too bad that he/she will not be able to read my post.

The post he found proves a lot but not really what he was intending to prove. I have gained (even I can't believe it) more respect for 14 than ever before. Here is a young guy that was a blank book on the subject of this breed and in a matter of two years, has gained more knowledge than many fanciers in a lifetime. N M PITS, it matters little how long one has been into the dogs, it matters a lot what you have done and learned in that time.

I have met more than a few "doggers" that state owning this breed for over 10 years. Yet, they still believe that these dogs "lock" and may go nuts if not bred after x number of years. On the other hand, I have met fanciers of the breed that do not own one dog. Yet, they have enveloped themselves in all that is APBT related, in the hope to one day be ready to own this breed.

Regarding 14, I am happy to acknowledge him as an asset to the breed. He has never assumed himself to be, what some would like others to think he has. He has freely given out any information he has on any topic. That is more than some DOGMEN that come into these sites to read and humor themselves but do nothing (or very little) to contribute or educate others. I certainly place 14 higher than a DOGMEN/WOMEN that refuses to educate. That type of dogmen/women only cares of himself and self-interest.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now regarding saving the breed from extinction. Do you know what that means? In order to save the breed, we have to save and respect the purpose for which it was made. If we abhore the method used by all purpose oriented breeders, we are certainly doing a part in the termination of the breed. This is why we must not only fight BSL et at, we must acknowledge and accept the method used to improve the breed, game testing. Obviously, it is illegal so don't do it....:rolleyes:

This breed is not for most people. How many times have you heard that statement? How many times have you sat down and thought about it in detail? IMO, in order to own this breed you must acknowledge their bred for purpose (even when you own a cold, cur, rough cur, etc). In addition, they must accept the method of improving the breed (as with any breed of purpose-bred animal). What is the method used to improve OUR breed? It is by testing the quality of the sample by their performance. Very much like race horses, dairy cows, greyhound dogs, bloodhound dogs, etc, etc, etc.

What would happen if our dogs were no longer tested? They would dilute and become another breed. Why? because it is their purpose that is directly responsible for their conformation. You don't like it? Then do not do it. Breeding is not for everyone (yes another one). Our dogs are American Pit Bull Terriers. It is not humans or dogs that decide what are acceptable dangers. It is the breed's purpose that determines acceptable dangers (i.e. flock protection, guarding, police k-9 work, etc).

Just had to say this. Hope someone is up for a debate on my beliefs. ME LIKES DEBATING.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006
  9. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

Oh, you're one of THOSE people, lol. The kind that likes debating eh? Well, as much as I enjoy a good debate myself, there's not much about your statement to debate. :( As much as I can assure you I haven't got what it takes to "test" my dogs that way, I don't believe those that do should be denied the opportunity. Hmmmm, perhaps if things were as they used to be, there would be far fewer man-biting mutts out there labeled as APBT's....just a thought.......

jeeperino likes this.
  10. soundfx06

soundfx06 Pup

all i can say is that i have learned alot from this site even before i joined (which wasn't that long ago) i was always on this site reading the do's & dont's learning from other ppl's mistakes i have learned of bloodlines & history. 3 yrs. ago i thought blues was the rare dog to have & by reading & educating myself thru books by richard stratton & this website my knowledge is way better but still could get some more with this said i think this is the best site that there is no matter what!!!!!!!!!!

11. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Sorry, Human of Rocky. I find nothing to debate here. I wholeheartedly agree with you! How would anyone know if they had a true blue cow horse without seeing him cut cattle? And I will say this: a cow horse out there cutting Long Horns is in a hell of a lot of danger, horses and cow dogs get hurt-bad. I'd like to see someone try to stop a rancher from using his cutting horses and cattle dogs. Not very bloody likely!

Game testing? I'm not going to debate that because while I am very much against it (It's just too widely abused, misunderstood, and engaged in by thuggish ruggish idiots who get the bully more heat), I have to say the breed's history produced the awesome bullies we have today. In my eyes that is undebateable. I've always agreed with that. It would be ideal if game testing could be accomplished strictly no-contact, but that is way out of my knowledge/experience realm to say it "should" be no-contact, so I won't debate that.

Sorry, Rocky!;)

12. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Hey man- from one petbull owner to another: Don't feel that way.
    If you look at the beginning of this thread, I sorta felt the same way- but I was only looking at it from the POV of a petbull owner who felt a little unwelcome, but I was wrong. I carefully read the responses, and there are more than enough smarties and good folk here to keep me around (sorry guys, you're stuck with me :p ).
    With any forum there will be posts and posters that rub you the wrong way. Especially with bully owners and enthusiasts from every level of ownership, all in one community. I just try to debate wisely and keep an open mind. Of course we can't all be that flexible all the time, but it sure helps to give it a shot. :)

13. Marty

Marty Guest

This thread was not started to cause a fight, it was started to let everyone know that they are welcomed here no matter what kind of (pit bull) you own, this is an educational site for people to come to for education, not to be bashed but to learn about this great breed of dog, we must all stick together to fight for our breed.

14. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

CB, I stole ur picture and there isnt anything you can do about it. :p

15. NOLEFAN

NOLEFAN Guest

You know some people on here are just not going to get it. Talking about what the breed was meant for is fine, but there is a price to pay. It's like talking about stealing cars and then expecting people to not assume that you steal cars. Like it or not it is against the law to do what they were bred for, at least in the US. One of the problems is snitches that are on sites that turn people in, and some of you whine and cry about not being able to talk about fighting without any regard to the people who run this site and their privacy. The stakes are much higher for them than it is for any regular big mouth on here. Losing evrything you own and worked for because some fake tough guy wants to talk about how game his dog is or how he performs, in a futile attempt to gain social clout, isn't worth it. The crazy thing is that some people think that talking about these things in a public manner will in no way incriminate them. You better think again because these cops and politicians that are out to make a name for themselves will make an example of you in a heartbeat. All you need to do is look back at previous posts about so called fighting rings being busted up. I have learned alot here. One of the biggest things is the difference in true dogman and the street trash. Therefor my stance on certain issues is dependant upon the caliber of person we are talking about. Before, I would paint with a broad brush out of ignorance.

Marty, you must have the patience of a rock to deal with all the pissin and moanin about every little thing.

16. VERY GOOD POST....We are not at all trying to draw negative attention here, but I have to say.......Even though everybody knows what pit bulls are for, these people that do this with their dog (letting them lie on the couch all day) know it really isn't in their nature...but by God it sure does help the rest of us who are everyday trying to PROVE to the WORLD that they are good, loyal and in every aspect...people friendly! IMO if you have an APBT...well then you have one....just please do us all a favor, make sure they always stay out of harms way and out of the BAD PEOPLES hands!!

17. CB

CB CH Dog

LMAO thanks 50. Alright this post is just for marty and shon. Im not calling out nobody or trying to start shit. But marty and shon yall 2 know how this site used to be it was the greatest site ever we never had less then 10 people in chat a night and had up to 20 something people in chat all talking about dogs and other stuff going on in are life. It was a tight nit family that we had going on here on this site and it seemed like we would get a little bit of pet bull people on the site and we would all be cool with it and educate them about stuff and then the pet bull people started to swarm the site and thats when all the good people left and the family broke apart. Of course we had are bumps in the road and had arguments and stuff on the site when it was just the "family" but thats what made the site soooo great because we would have heated debates and have real dog conversations but after we were through we still all liked each other. But now the family is broken up and its not like it was. This site was great at one time and is still a good site but you know its not like it used to be and i wish it was. But i just want you 2 to realize and im sure yall already have that this site changed into something you didnt want it to and now cant control it. I still love the site and come back everyday but just miss them days where there was never a dull moment on this site.

18. Marty

Marty Guest

CB I know what your talking about, but as the site grows your going to have more people join, its not a Private site it is a public site and all walks of life are going to join, we are here to educate I'm I wrong?

19. CB

CB CH Dog

Yes we are here to educate. But i think we have answered almost every question there is in the book about these dogs lol. I mean just go to the search button and type in you question and you will find it. I know you and shon are game dog lovers and i know yall cant love all this pet bull talk you know. But like you said it is a public site but it was a public site when we were talking strictly about game dogs and we never had people post stupid shit and had alot of pet bull owners on here until we had people start letting them come and talk about how cute there dogs are and shit. But marty answer this for me would you rather have the site back to when we had the "family" talking about dogs a heated debates or have the site how it is today and about how cute people's dogs are and how good they are behaved just answer that for me. And i miss how it was becaus you and shon were alot more active on the site then you are now and i and others know why. You know i respect you and shon marty but i just wish the site never changed.

20. CB

CB CH Dog

33MTA3 you are one of the BEST examples of what im trying to say. You were here when we always talked about dogs and you are a pet bull owner right. We always treated you with respect and loved having you around. But you remember how it was do you not miss them days when it seemed like it was just us and how we always used to pack into the chat room and have a fun night until like 4 in the morning lol. Do you not wish it was still like that.