1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

The most cliche question asked for the 100th time

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by zombie106, Sep 15, 2004.

1. zombie106

zombie106 Big Dog

I am sure this post will get all kinds of scrutiny and ridicule, but I have to ask. I am new to the world of the bully breed (pits, am staffs, staffys). But it appears that the majority of people who belong to this forum believe that Am Staffs and Pit Bulls are different dogs. I always thought that they were the same dog, just used for different purposes. Is this correct? For instance, you breed two "Am Staffs" to get interesting colors and hope to show an award winning dog. You breed two "Pit Bulls" because they have heart, courage, and strength. I am not trying to put words in people’s mouths, I would just like some clarity on the matter.

Thanks for any info you guys can give me, and sorry if I seem like an idiot for asking this, but I wanted to get some information before opening my mouth, when people ask me about the bully breed.

2. AC

AC Big Dog

Zombie there is no such thing as a ridiculous question here. Glad you asked. Well there are many people that feel the way you do. The AmStaffs were bred for different purposes. Color, looks, structure, overall performance (show ring etc.) And AmPits were bred for heart, ability, mouth, etc. But also AmPits can be used for the show ring and weight pulling. AmStaffs are believed to have had the gameness bred out of them. Well I don't have much experience with AmStaffs but do know I'm sure there has to be a few good ones out there.

3. Bubba

Bubba Top Dog

Good answer Alligator...
    BB

4. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Yes..good answer Alligator

And to further clarify lol.. the orginal Am STaffs were in fact APBTs. And every so often, AKC would allow a select few APBTs to be registered as Am Staffs. Colby (who was instrumental in the foundation of the AM Staff) also registered his APBTs as Am Staffs as a courtesy to the AKC but then went back to soley UKC /ADBA

So yes, the original Am Staffs were infact APBTs but most Am Staffs of today have been bred differently along different lines for different purposes.