1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Steps to Clean your Aquarium Correctly

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by luis47, Dec 3, 2009.

1. luis47

luis47 Pup

Hi

1. Using a gravel vacuum, remove all waste and food from the sand or gravel. I like to shove the tube into the gravel quickly so it’s stirred up and waste gets knocked loose. I continue to do it, driving the tub into the gravel up and down until I’ve gone across the entire tank. Don’t stop until 25 - 50% of the water in your aquarium has been drained. The water will be very dirty, that’s FINE! As long as you get the big stuff from the floor, the fine particles that are floating around will settle and/or go through your filter.

2. Fill a bucket full of water (chlorine removed) and rub your hand across each filter until all of the heavy “slime” is off of it. Do NOT use any type of cleaner on the filter and don’t use tap water directly out of the sink (it has chlorine!) You can get it clean enough with your hand believe it or not. You just want to get the heavy stuff off, that’s all!

3. Use an algae scraper to remove the algae from the aquarium walls. It would be best to leave it, but it’s just not impressive for guests to visit you and see a green fish tank and it’s not that big of a deal, as the tank as a whole will still have some algae and bacteria.

4. Use a brush to clean all ornaments and plants, NO chemicals! You can use a soap and water mix, that’s it! After you’ve scrubbed them rinse them thoroughly.

5. Replace everything and fill your aquarium up with clean, treated water. Be sure to use some type of chlorine removing solution and it doesn’t hurt to use some conditioning salt as well to help prevent Ich and other diseases.

Keep sharing and reading

Thanks

Reptile Accessories