1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Some show questions

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by Jenn, Nov 29, 2005.

1. MrsDanos Back

MrsDanos Back Big Dog

My Brindle is Black on light if there's such thing with a white patch across the back of her neck and on her chest....She's in heat right now so you can't really see her muscle tone in that area but I was lookin a her today and her shoulder's look awsome...but once this heat is over she and I are gonna start walks everyday and hopefully get to running.....I was on a drug (birth control lol, so you don't think I am a drugy) that made me gain weight and now I am not on it so I want it all gone.

2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Just have her in top notch condition (meaning conditioned right!) Chocolate can be depending on the shade but the judges kow

However, I would like to point something out. Showing is and should be for fun. These are still working dogs and thats where their merit should be placed..in the working department and not on how pretty they are. Showing pups is good for their socialization skills, u get a better idea of what a conditioned dog looks like, a good thing for the family to get involved with, hang out with friends.. but again, it shouldt be used as an excuse to breed nor should one strickly breed for show dogs...

3. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

I have seen a few where no-one got first, they got second and third. never disqualified just not a ribbon. The only time any dog would get disqualified is if they tried to bite or there was some obvious alter to the dog. The show where no-one got first there were only 2-4 dogs in the ring.

4. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

Oh yea I'd definitely be doing it for fun. My mother is into showing cockers (yea yea I know lol) so I sort of have a slight interest. But I want to do it just to see what might happen ya know? I have my first club meeting this comming Saturday!!! Hoping to get the pup started in on weight pull - and he can show too when he's bored lol.

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Exactly. Thanks for posting this before I got around to it rocksteady ;)

6. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

hmmm, i have showed in AKC, adba and have never seen that...but anyways, i have seen dogs in the AKC get disqualified for numerous things, such as weight, height..in the AKC, they have a height stick...at least for the cairn terriers and cocker spaniels we showed. A dog that was limping excused. Aggressiveness towards humans in most breeds would be a reason to disqalify...However, i have seen a judge that liked the "proctection" dogs...to be weary or even growl at the judge...he carried a stick with him when judging and sure enough he would pick the dog that gave him a certain look or even growled at him...strange, but some breeds i guess are suppossed to protect there handler and that's what he wanted to see...but this doesn't go for the apbt...as they are NOT protection dogs...anyways, yes rocksteady is right about shows just be for fun and a good socialization tool for pups or even older dogs with other humans. You should NOT breed based on shows alone. Keep showing your dog fun at all times! In the AKC, half the dogs hate to be there and when they finish there championship it's off to a heavy breeding career...which sucks. The AKC is no fun anymore, unfortuenly most of the time a professional handler will win everything even if the dog is obviously not the best thing in the ring. They are about money money and more money.

7. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

I'm not showing to get titles to "make it okay" to breed. IF I were going to breed, I'd get tighter bred working dogs, and once they prove themselves to be quality breeding material then I might only consider breeding. Breeding right now for me = big no no.

I just thought it would be nice to see what a judge may think of my dog appearance wise... For me to make a career out of showing... I'd get a Staffy.

8. devinben3

devinben3 CH Dog

Yes, showing is very fun and great for your dogs! Great for the handler too, you get to meet a lot of fellow dog lovers! Just have fun and good luck!

9. SouthernDixie

SouthernDixie CH Dog

My main goal :)

10. Jenn

Jenn Top Dog

Nice Information ~ Thanks :)

Thanks for the answer. Which brings me back to the question in my mind.. Understandably when showing an APBT that dog aggression could be an issue, along with hyperness, or etc. I still find it surprisinging though, that some wouldn't expect more obedience while on leash and being "presented" for lack of a better word. How could their be any "showing" going on, if everyone's dogs were all hopping around, pulling, and lunging at each other while on leash? I know it's not every dog, but don't understand how in that controlled "ring" environment something like that would be considered "acceptable" regardless of breed? Wouldn't it be the owner's responsibilty to other's as well as themselves to be able to have proper control over their dog?

Same goes as the "stick carrier judge" wanting the dog to growl? Same scenario ~ why would he pick the dog that growled? Shouldn't a properly trained "protection dog" NOT be growling at just anyone, much less showing "fear" of just a man walking by with a stick? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but wouldn't that be more of a show of fear, instead of protection? :confused: Especially in a show ring?

I agree, well said Rocksteady. Sadly that falls on too many "deaf ears".....