1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Set-up for an escape artist...

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Telluride, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Telluride

Telluride Pup

I'm sure bulldog people can help me a lot with this.

The dog I'm talking about isn't an APBT, he's my 6 year old Australian Shepherd mix...and he is a BRAT! We used to have him chained until he figured out how to escape every collar, no matter how tight or loose it was. We had him kenneled them for another couple years, but then he started to climb the fence or jump it. He gets exercise and mental stimulation, so I know it isn't boredom. The only thing he does when gets loose is run around the neighborhood and greet people, but he's DA and I don't want him getting shot or getting into fights. People in my neighborhood aren't friendly like he wishes, they kick and kill loose dogs.

When I get a job in a couple years I want to make him a nice runner and new house... right now he's being contained OK in a small but really tall kennel, it's too small for him to live permanently in though.

Any nice set-ups for a LONG runner and very warm dog house? I also need collar ideas, something he can't slip out of no matter how hard he tried.

2. Telluride

Telluride Pup

[​IMG]
    A picture of Moose...

3. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

chained with a double collar or strong kennel setup with a secure top

4. Telluride

Telluride Pup

I've tried the whole double collar deal, didn't work. Tried harnesses too. I want to get him out of a kennel though, can't stand messing with the damn things!

5. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

is he backing out of the collars?

6. Welded wire fencing on top is all it takes to keep them from climbing otu.

7. Put a secure top on his kennel run.

8. Maybe these will help some folks.

Here's a kennel right after I put it together.
    [​IMG]

Then I build a fence floor and add the sections to help keep the gravel in place when I add it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then cover it all with gravel

[​IMG]

If you look real close you can see the welded wire that covers the top. I use a 2x4 across the middle to support the fencing. It also makes it easy to put tarps across the top for shade. :)

[​IMG]

Then of course a nice dog house is always essential.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. AGame

AGame CH Dog

that's a nice set up you got there boogie

10. Thank you sir. They work very well for me.

11. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

good set up boogies. i have something similar. minus gravel. i also suggest a chain spot within the kennel too if that dogs as bad as you say lol. give the dog enough exercise and it wont need a dog run.

12. Telluride

Telluride Pup

Usually. He has a few other ways of doing it, but he usually backs out of them. I can have them tight enough to strangle him, and right when I'm walkin away he's trying to get out.

I'm trying to avoid using a kennel... hate messing with fence, and a decent kennel is too expensive to buy and usually too small. Nobody is up to helping me build a good one either. Chain spots are just easier to manage for me and I prefer them.

13. Telluride

Telluride Pup

Nice set up Boogie... I like your house, do you have the blueprints for it? Exactly what I was looking for. About how much would it cost to build one like that for a dog around 24" tall and 70lbs (L-XL range)?

14. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

i thought you already had a kennel setup?

when you have it tight enough to strangle him how does he get out of the collar?

15. Here are the blue prints. I would leave out the hallway wall and put a flap on the door for a dog that big.

Dog House Blue Prints

16. Telluride

Telluride Pup

I do, but I hate it. I hate dealing with kennels... Weak spots in the fence, doors freeze in the winter, cost a ton more, etc... The one we have now is my sister's so we can't keep it forever, when she moves in a year or two she's probably taking it as she plans on getting another Catahoula or two.
    And GOOD QUESTION... I've tried to figure it out myself. His dam was the same way, NO MATTER HOW TIGHT IT IS, THEY CAN STILL SLIP OUT. Drives me NUTS!!

17. Telluride

Telluride Pup

THANK YOU! I'll be saving that to my favorites and figuring the prices for all the material... I need to get an idea of how much to be saving up for this new set up.

18. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

put the collar on him. and make him think you left, then watch to see how he gets out. once you find that out you can fix it.

19. Telluride

Telluride Pup

I have, and he does back out... I'm just not sure how the hell it's possible for his fat head to squeeze thru such a tight collar, THAT is where I'm stumped... Would a working dog collar be better, maybe make it harder for him to slip out? Damn, where's a bulldog person that has dealt with dogs slipping out of collars when you need one...

20. Telluride

Telluride Pup

Which type of chain would be best also? We don't have problems with him breaking chains, but I'm not paying $20 for a cheap, short, crappy chain from walmart. Something just a little thicker and more durable.