1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

pup with underbite

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by eneas, Apr 18, 2012.

1. eneas

eneas Banned

Hi boys, now at home checking my dog i saw that has underbit...he is 5 months old and i just bring him from USA, i would like to know your opinion..here some pics.

Have to say that the dog is on fire, an exceptional actitud with the other dogs, simply go for them like a crazy dog...but i can forget abot the bite....check it out

This is the ped.

ONLINE PEDIGREES - Access Denied

Attached Files:

2. eneas

eneas Banned

3. phill

phill Top Dog

go to the gallery click hoghunting look at the teeth , i'll take a underbite anyday ,,

4. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

It's a minor fault in the show world other than that it's an underbite lots of dogs have them....

5. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

Nothing to worry about at all. But if you are bothered, send him my way.

6. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

as long as it doesnt hinder a dogs ability to bite, theres nothing wrong with an underbite.
    youd be suprised how many historical dogs were undershot

7. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

/\ Basically if the undershot closes like a reg scissors but the bottom is outside front instead of inside front teeth, nothing at all to be worries about.

As mentioned and I was told at one time some of the best biting dogs ever had the bulldog bite aka undershot jaw. That is not fact, but it is reassuring. Still think the bite should be judged on how the teeth close around each other. No fault for a bulldog bite IMO. But I dont make the rules.

8. bamboo33

bamboo33 Big Dog

He looks a little tougher that way too

9. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

surely you jest........

10. NGK

NGK Top Dog

In the third photo it appears that the top and bottom teeth are not coming together properly and may even be hitting each other when the mouth is closed. In the event that he misses a bite with bad intentions you may find that he will break his teeth. The dog looks to have a crooked bite also in this photo which will impair its ability to close his mouth to the best of his ability. If what I have observed above is true then I would consider it not only a show fault but a functional problem with the dog, that being said I would contact the breeder you purchased the dog from and bring this to his attention, if for no other reason than to warn him of this fault for his future referance in his breeding program.

If the Teeth come together clean (do not hit each other) don't worry about it, its a part of the breed.

NGK

P.S. I myself would not be impressed if the 5 month old pup was sold to me and I had not been told about this.

11. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

Great post and info!

12. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

So we are culling performance bred animals for underbites? It doesn't even look that bad honestly. I know of plenty performance bred animals with underbites I have to agree with lee d as long as it doesn't effect their biting ability it shouldn't matter I really don't feel comfortable judging these things over a picture anyway. Only time will tell how much of an effect if any this underbite would effect this pup and it's ability to bite.

13. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

And it looks like the pup came from Tom Garner I highly doubt he will care about this fault lol I could be wrong but it's just a guess.

14. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

fuck that!... thatd be stupid as hell. yall would shit how different our peds would read if the undershot dogs of the past were all culled

15. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

Uh oh LOL...bring on the fanboys

16. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

I agree I have never heard such things coming from performance breeders show beeeders yes lol.

17. NGK

NGK Top Dog

The point is that if the teeth collide when the dog bites it will effect its ability, I have owned and bred plenty of underbitten dogs in my time and in my experience the ones that have had problems were the ones who's teeth did not close without interfering with one another. One of the best breedings I ever did both dogs were slighly underbit and out of 6 born none carried this trait...

NGK

18. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Lol I should add to my statement I love Garner he's the best but I don't think he will care about the underbite.

19. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Well hopefully the OP can confirm or deny the fact that the teeth are interfering with one another, and for the OP a question, are the teeth the same on both sides of the mouth or just growing wherever their is room for them to grow? Is the dogs jaw slightly crooked from the way the dogs mouth closes as it appears in the photos?

NGK

20. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

after taking a better look at the pics, that is what id be concerned about as well