1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Protein

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by c.knight, Jul 3, 2009.

1. c.knight

c.knight Big Dog

How much is too much protein?
    As far as kibble or if I decide to go Raw?

2. Advocate

Advocate Big Dog

Im no expert but mine are getting 42% protien on Evo no more than 2 cups per day. I read when feeding foods this high in protien they just need to be active. I dont think its formulated for all breed types. Very healthy stools not much to clean up either.

3. Annie

Annie Pup

It actually depends on the individual dog. The higher the protein in a diet, however, means the more you need to work a dog. If you feed too high of protein and do not work your dog, it can be quite harmful in many ways. Too low of protein while working a dog will show little to no results. For the average "pet dog" that doesn't get much exercise, for example, 20-25% protein is sufficient for most. For a working dog, I would recommend at least 30%.

4. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

IMO one has to look at the quality of the protein and what sources is it coming from. And the usability of the protein also plays a big role.
    To me kibble is about useless..it's cooked/baked at high temps killing most of the nutrients in it and drawing out most of the moisture in it also..which leads a dog to drink alot of water after there done eating to help with the digestion..A dogs body isnt designed to eat and process kibble.There designed to eat fresh muscle meat.When you feed raw they tend to produce less waste cause there body is using more of the nutrients.

5. davlin47

davlin47 Pup

Hello

Unfortunately the whole protein thing is not easily explained in just a few sentences, so bear with me if I ramble on for a while. I'll try to keep it as simple and straightforward as possible without going too much into scientific terms.
    First of all, it is important that we understand that protein isn't only a nutrient - the amino acids it is made up of (think lego bricks forming a bigger structure) also serve as building blocks for body tissues, organs, enzymes, hormones, antibodies and so on - roughly half of the dry body mass of a dog consists of protein. Knowing this it is easy to understand that growing puppies need protein to build above mentioned body tissues, organs, enzymes, hormones, antibodies and both adults and growing puppies constantly need to replace and rebuild these as well. The body recycles amino acids to some extent, but part of them need to be replaced, just like you can't endlessly recycle paper or plastic.

Thanks

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 436pt;" width="581" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 436pt;" width="581"><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 436pt;" width="581" height="20">Rabbit Hutch</td> </tr></table>