1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

people biting pitbulls

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by 7mmrowland, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Midnight Cowboy

Midnight Cowboy Big Dog

Re: people bitting pitbulls

Let me phrase it better, you get a dog that is alittle on the crazy side for example a dog that gets really excited. I have had dogs that will mouth you not trying to bite just being playful and usally calm but when new people come around there chain spots the get fired up..

2. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

To the OP, I am speaking directly from first hand experience. This is not what I have been told or read. I was bitten in the face twice as a child once at 1 yr old and again at 5. I am sorry to say this and I am not blaming you but when dogs bite kids it is the adult or guardian's fault. To you I would say how old is the child, how tall, is the child eye level with dog, does the child know how to act around dogs, can the child assert some dominance on the dog, how old was the dog....etc. The dog that ripped half my nose off my face when I was 5, lived with me for 7 more years of her life until she had to bet put down from a broken hip, never another problem from her (we were palying ball in the house kinda rough, I laid on the ball and she went for it and caught my face, I was in the room with my parents but behind the couch where they couldnt see me) The breed of dog has no bearing on whether a dog will bite a child it is up to the individual dog and the owner of the dog to be responsible and act accordingly based on the behavior they observe. Sorry about your situtation.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
  3. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

its the standard but with everything there are faults and irresponsible people that will breed a dog that does not meet the standard.
    temperament is not first and foremost but it is top 3 on the list. every dog should be judged individually it is up to the buyer of the pup to do there research on the family history of the dog before buying it, that way you know what kind of dog your bringing into your home.
    alot of the ones that bite are because of poor breeding techniques or mixed breeding.
    in most cases it is the adults fault for their kids getting bit by the dog, remember a dog is still an animal with teeth.

4. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

seriously dude, [op] if you have to ask these kinds of questions and either dont know or cant do some easy research and find em out for yourself , you shouldnt own one of these dogs plain and simple.

5. popper

popper CH Dog

zoe that is eaxtcly my dogs to a t..... i will be walking and we will come across a play ground filled with kids and both dogs ears relax and ther body starts to wiggle ...... they absolutly love kids andi could not have it no other way ..... or i couldnt trust em..... juat no room for a dog to dislike children , i dont see why they like children so much asi dont have any lol.......

6. popper

popper CH Dog

but the main thing is , you must know your dogs and see how they are reacting to certain things..... alot of people get these dogs throw em in the backyard toss em some food and ared done with em , not even knowing what kind of dog they have...... when i use to live at my other house , these poeople behind me had 6 pitts kept in the garage in crates with 5 KIDS LIVING IN THE HOUSE and they did absolute nothing with the dogs..... these dogs need to be worked , doing something to be happy....

7. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

No doubt! I think that is another reason I've had good success with kids and dogs, besides the obvious demand for rock solid temperment, teaching the kids good dog handling skills {I demand the BEST out of my KIDS when it comes to the dogs as well! lol), monitoring, I also WORK my dogs. I can't compete with my dogs in any sort of venues due to my daughters health/immune system issues but regardless, those dogs get out on walks, spring pole, flirt pole, treadmill, fetch, boomer ball and I'm even working on a swim tank, and I INCLUDE the kids in it all.

Pulling the kids in the barbie jeep! lol

[​IMG]

Hand feeding Scarling... good way to prevent food aggression..

[​IMG]

Raven taught Scarling to sit and shake a paw herself. She's only five there...

[​IMG]

Daemon was studying pullies and levers and such for homeschooling so he ''invented'' his own pully system for the dogs tire swing. lol

[​IMG]

Scarling likes when the kids run WITH her when she's on the treadmill! lol

[​IMG]

Daemon and Scarling flirt polin'...

[​IMG]

Daemon and Deeohgee playing ''buckin' bronco''! lol We used to crack up at this game. Eventually the dogs chewed the rope off and he's sit on the tire and she'd drag him around the yard on it by pulling the rope in her mouth! lol

[​IMG]

Alot of people don't realize that you have to CULTIVATE and ORCHESTRATE a good relationship between your kids and dogs. I like to start off with rock solid temperment and from there include rock solid handling. :)

8. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

Zoe these are great pics! Just looking at them I can see there kid loving dogs. That is 1 trait im after in a dog. Dogs were ment to be part of the family and I can see yours are.

9. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

1 Child was 3
    2 28"tall
    3 eye level maybe taller
    4 act around dogs? shes 3
    5 assert dominance shes 3
    6 11 months
    Your story is about an accident. I witnessed a dog that bit my kid as she walked past coming to me. Dog had issues nothing to do with me or my kid. Gets old hearing how its alway the owner fault how about its just the damn dog!

10. Alot of the time its not a pit bull at all it resembles whatever mutt there talking about or they are byb dogs.. But even game bred dogs have there man biters, Zebo was one and he wasnt culled he was breeding stock. I have no experience in this area about HA pit bulls because I own 6 and NONE have EVER been HA.. Ive never met a HA pit either so either I dont get out much or there just not around here lol. Someone said maybe its dominance but really the kid is higher in pack order or should have been so maybe there was a mistake on your part or the dog had a screw loose, but if anyone of my dogs ever displayed HA to my kids I'd have to dig a hole.. I couldnt live with that.

11. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Look once again I am sorry this happened to you, but the bottom line is: What was an 11 mo old dog doing loose around your 3 yr old child? You are the adult in charge with the ability to think things through and make these decisions not the 3 year old child or the 11 mo old dog. That is just reality.

12. venom

venom Top Dog

I guess it could always be the owners fault as he is the handler of the animal and child... but who could predict what they thought to be a rock solid dog would bite their kid in the face? Honestly, who here keeps their dog on a leash keeping the dog distant from the child at all times? even the most supervised dog can bite a child in a split second leaving you helpless in the moment... the most u can do is seperate them as fast as you can but you cannot prevent a dog from ever getting the chance to bite a child unless the dog never has contact with the child and imo would defeat the purpose of these animals cuz they are human lovers!

13. venom

venom Top Dog

my dogs can bite my kids at any given second, so can yours. unless they just dont come in contact with eachother cuz i gaurentee that dog can bite a hell of alot faster than you can grab him lol

14. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Venom: I know what your saying and to an extent I agree, but you also said "unless they just dont come in contact with each other" which is a great idea for children shorter than eye level, who dont know how to behave around a dog, and cant assert dominance over the dog. Unfortunately not all dogs and kids should or even need to be around one another.

15. venom

venom Top Dog

agreed.

kids that don't know how to act or even dogs that do not know how to act in certain situations should be seperated. I was under the impression it was just a normal day for this guy with his dog loving child and solid dog that just snapped though, that could happen to any of us. that situation isnt likely though, somethin probably was wrong.

16. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I guess that's the risk people with kids take. You can do everything right and STILL have a dog that just has shitty temperment. That's why NO MATTER how ''rock solid'' I "think" my dogs are, I don't take it for granted and I NEVER leave them unattended with the kids. If I go in the shower, into the yard, whatever, even for a second, the dogs go in their crates. If I have to go to the bathroom, the dog comes with me. It's just a habit I started when my first child was born {well, back then sometimes it was the baby I brought in with me, the point being if I wasn't there, they were separated} and now my kids are 13 and 7 and I still do it! I'll throw a few pieces of kibble in the crate so the dogs relate a couple minutes in the crate as a positive. There are actually ''bites'' I would forgive, even with kids, say a dog went for a toy and it was a complete accident. That's why 110% supervision is required or a good dog could die because of a simple accident, as I've been accidentally bit over toys. And I'm talking real accidents, not redirected or possesion aggression. Of course the dog would get a good raggin' out and probably never do it again, but I've honestly not had that happen yet as I teach bite inhibition from day one. It seems like the vast majority of the dogs I've had here just really ''get'' the kid thing, but I also know when it is time to separate either because the kids or the dogs are too worked up, or just because you can see that how the kid is acting is making the dog a little uncomfortable. Dogs aren't stupid and nine times out of ten, if they see that you are keeping THEM safe from the kids, and not allowing the kids to irritate the hell out of them, and they see you are respecting them, they will pay you back tenfold with a higher tolerance towards the kids. Even by the time my old girls got senile they STILL had awesome tolerance for the kids. Venus was so far gone, she'd be staring at the wall for 15 minutes and if one of the kids tripped over her and hurt her, she'd turn around and kiss them. I think people really need to be hyper aware with the subtle body language dogs will display when they are around the kids. You can often pick up on an issue before things go really bad if you pay very close attention. The main thing I've actually had to be on the ball with, is not biting, but the kids getting bowled over, which is doubley important with Raven and her enlarged spleen as a good bang in the tummy and she'd be on her way to emergency. Just the other day, Deeohgee bowled Daemon down and he REALLY hurt his knee. He's spent the past few weeks nursing it and I asked him if he held it agains Deeohgee and he said NO WAY! lol It had actually been YEARS that the dogs have ever knocked down one of the kids as they learned the ''watch the baby'' term when Daemon was little and it just stuck. He's going to be 14 and I still use that same command. Just goes to show though, I figured Daemon was big enough to watch for Deeohgee and Deeohgee was smart enough to watch for him, but apparently not! lol I learned MY lesson! lol

17. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

For the people who have their dogs and kids interact:

Exactly, very well put.

18. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

I am sorry to say this and I am not blaming you but when dogs bite kids it is the adult or guardian's fault. To you I would say how old is the child, how tall, is the child eye level with dog,
    very true.im a firm believer in the fact that these dogs should not be around the littel ones.eye level can start something quik. and it dont take long to do some big damage and no not all dogs will bite a child but why take a chance.atleast not with my kids.thats why i waited till my boy was 14 before i got back into apbts.

19. ATEXAN

ATEXAN Big Dog

Yessir, I feel the same way.

20. 7mmrowland

7mmrowland Big Dog

Well I all I can say to this is that if you have dog that that cant handle eye contact with a human maybe your dogs are part of the HA problem....Are you breeding these type?