1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Officer says pit bull is no danger

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Marty, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

Boston, MA -- -- The Rockport dog officer has determined that the unlicensed pit bull that attacked a miniature horse earlier this month is not a menace to humans or other animals, despite the 15 stitches in the horse's muzzle.

''I do agree that this was a terrible thing for the horse to go through and that the dog should never have been left out on its own," dog officer Mindy Trafton said. ''That was irresponsible, especially with this breed. But I would personally take the dog home with me and own it. I don't think this dog is any more dangerous than any other dog."

The miniature horse's owner said she won't press charges as long as the dog is moved out of town, as the owner, Rockport assistant public works director George Robertson, has promised.

''I would feel differently if the dog stays, because I definitely consider her a threat to my horse," said Sandra Weaver, owner of Rusty. ''The owner, my neighbor, said he is going to place the dog with a family in Gloucester, which was apparently in the works before this happened. So, for now, I am waiting to see what happens."

The Jan. 15 attack left Rusty with stitches and a forced diet of antibiotics and mush. Weaver said the attack by the pit bull, named Cassie, was unprovoked. Weaver said she has given Robertson a $272 vet bill that he said he would pay. He also has agreed to pay any additional medical costs.

Paula Geehan, Rockport animal inspector, ordered Robertson to keep the dog confined for 10 days to make sure she doesn't have rabies.

Geehan said Tuesday morning she expected to lift the quarantine later in the day because Robertson had presented her with evidence that Cassie has been vaccinated.

While she said that Robertson told her he has found an out-of-town family willing to take the dog, Geehan said Robertson is under no legal obligation to move the animal since Trafton has ruled the dog is not a menace.

''I really don't think the dog is vicious," said Geehan, who is also Rockport's assistant dog officer. ''Any dog can turn on you. But if someone has a concern, they can file a formal complaint and then we will hold a [dangerous dog] hearing."

Robertson did not return phone calls to both his home and office seeking comment.

Weaver said she left Rusty, who stands 36 inches high, grazing in another neighbor's yard when the barking of her own dogs prompted her to look out the window to see the little horse on the run.

Cassie, she said, had apparently jumped through the window of Robertson's pickup truck and chased her horse out of the yard, down Mt. Locust Street, and up Granite Street.

''We took off after the horse and dog and that caught the attention of a passing motorist who stopped and corralled the horse," Weaver said. ''Just as he was trying to calm Rusty, Cassie came up under the horse's belly and grabbed hold of Rusty's jaw and wouldn't let go. It took both of us to get the dog free."

Trafton said she was called to evaluate the dog by Rockport police, who were summoned by Weaver soon after her horse was attacked.

''While this was a very unfortunate incident, the pit bull was exhibiting behavior well within the range of behavior expected for the breed," Trafton said.

Trafton noted that Robertson had failed to license Cassie when he took ownership from his son in December, and that the dog should have been wearing a collar to make it easier to control her. Trafton said Robertson was fined $25 for having an unlicensed dog, $25 for the dog being loose, and $25 for the dog not wearing a license.

Trafton's evaluation of Cassie's behavior contradicts the policy of the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

MSPCA animal behaviorist Katie Campion said that if the dog was surrendered to her agency, it would be euthanized.

''I hate to malign an entire breed but the fact is pit bulls are very dangerous because of how we humans have bred them," Campion said. ''Yes, the dog was exhibiting behavior we expect to see in a pit bull and that's the problem. Because pit bulls have stronger than average jaw power, they can do much greater damage with their mouths than other dogs. Our rule is that once a dog has shown aggressive, out-of-control behavior, we recommend the dog be put down. We would not place it with another family."

Ted Tarr, a former town selectman, said he was surprised to discover that a pit bull was living in Rockport because he led an effort to ban them 20 years ago after another pit bull attacked a cart horse.

However, Rockport Town Clerk Frederick Frithsen, who issues dog licenses, said he was not aware that the selectmen had ever passed such an ordinance.

Two other pit bulls and one pit bull mix are legally licensed in Rockport, Trafton said.

Gloucester Mayor John Bell said his community hasn't been formally notified that the dog is moving to his town.

''The dog will definitely have to be relicensed here if a Gloucester family accepts it," Bell said. ''We clearly don't want to inherit Rockport's problems, especially when they are preventable. We don't want to put our people at risk."

Weaver said she has heard from several Rockport residents who are surprised town officials are willing to saddle another community with a dog that has been aggressive.

''We can all speculate to what will happen next," Weaver said, noting her horse could have been a small child. ''We could be passing on a problem or the dog may be fine."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2005
  2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

WOW. A "different" look on the breed (by the media). A must read!

3. CRG

CRG Top Dog

shocked me!

4. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

WOW.....for a minute there I thought I might have added one too many colors into the pill rainbow. Then I realized someone actually said something nice about a pitbull in the media. An animal officer no less.

5. Wow! I cant believe it.

6. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

I am speechless.I am without speech.

7. Nigerino.com/

Nigerino.com/ CH Dog

While she said that Robertson told her he has found an out-of-town family willing to take the dog, Geehan said Robertson is under no legal obligation to move the animal since Trafton has ruled the dog is not a menace.

So all this happened in town or did I read it wrong, if so was the horse being kept in town. It is nice to hear some good but they always find ways to make it look bad for our dogs.

8. waters

waters Big Dog

It is always good to hear the positive side of our breed.

9. sixkiller

sixkiller Banned

im moving to that town

10. jasong

jasong Big Dog

I liked the beginning of the article but the end was bullshit. All they wanted to say was how they don't want to inherit the other towns problem meaning the dog and they were saying that they are shocked a pit bull will be moving to their town, b/c they oputlawed tham 20 years back. what kind of crap was that. I like the fact that the officer said the dog was of no danger but then the article turns right around and makes the dog look like a danger. What kind of shit is that or am I the only one that picked up on that.

11. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

I saw it too. At least it had some good in it.

12. D.R KING

D.R KING GET OFF MY LINE...

What have some people learned from this? There is a soild line between animal agresion and human agresion.....

13. GrCh_Jeff

GrCh_Jeff Big Dog

someone pinch me!!!am i dreaming?