1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Members, G-D and I need your help!

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Marty, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Marty

Marty Guest

MLK. had a dream and reached a multitude of people... well I had a vision and I think we as a group can help with the chaining laws trying to be passed, this thread is for workshop purposes only... what I want to do here is come up with any and all you have positive about the chaining of dogs, what I propose is... laws stating chains no larger than 1/4" (anything larger is abuse)chains no shorter than 10'(anything shorter is abuse), making sure there's nothing to get hung up on (not tied to trees).

As ya'll know, if these laws get passed whats going to happen... more dogs getting out (Dogs running loose) more (animal attacks, more humans being bitten) Hopefully you get the picture ;)

You all have heard of the site unchain your dogs, well this one will be called chainyourdog.org it will be a resource to go to and educate yourself on the right way to contain you dog as far as chains, sizes, length, collars, hardware and such and yes we will include the study on... chain VS pen confinement study by Cornell university... we need to put a stop to this before it even gets started, and I would like to thank you for your help in advance ;)

And I will also be looking for someone to build the site... any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  2. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

Sounds like a good idea. Remember to add that research article Tufts did on how chains don't make dogs aggressive...
    Maybe explain how having a 15Ft gives the dog more room to move around than a 10x10 pen.

3. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

This is kind of expensive but using crushed rock for a chain space is a good idea since it drains so well and you are less likely to end up with a dog living in water and deep mud.
    Not having the dog in plain site where the dog can be tormented by passers-by is an idea too. I'm not sure how that could be presented in terms of wording for a law.

4. Marty

Marty Guest

Please post the link to this in the thread ;)

It will help tremendously :D

5. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

I think this is an excellent idea. You ALWAYS here "Log Chains". I don't use anything larger then 5/16's, and thats no where near a "log chain"

I think the UKC may have some type minimun reguirements for breeders, but I don't know if it addresses tethering.

6. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

The thing I don't think the anti's understand is how active these dogs are. They MUST be chained to contain them properly. The most fortified pen in the world isnt going to hold an APBT (or 99% of high drive dogs over 30lbs) that wants out. The dog is going to find a way eventually..Even if he tears himself up in the process. When in a pen, it is like being in a cage. When on a chain, there are no walls, no cage, just a chain. What in the hell does a chain have to do with a dogs aggression? Thats just one of the 1000 myths we have to bust day after day after day. I think that site is a great idea Marty. I'll do anything I can to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  7. Suki

Suki Guest

here are some of the reasons used/given in opposition to chaining:
    perhaps they can be used as a reference, and some savy member can come up with a good argument in opposition to theirs and these reasons. anyhow, this is what you're up against...
    Why Chaining is Cruel

[​IMG]The following information is adapted from a fact sheet compiled by the The Humane Society of the United States

View a slide show with photos which summarizes why chaining is dangerous for humans and inhumane for dogs.

1. What is meant by "chaining" or "tethering" dogs? These terms refer to the practice of fastening a dog to a stationary object or stake, usually in the owner's backyard, as a means of keeping the animal under control. These terms do not refer to the periods when an animal is walked on a leash.
    2. Is there a problem with continuous chaining or tethering? Yes, the practice is both inhumane and a threat to the safety of the confined dog, other animals, and humans.
    3. Why is tethering dogs inhumane? Dogs are naturally social beings who thrive on interaction with human[​IMG] beings and other animals. In the wild, dogs and wolves live, eat, sleep, and hunt with a family of other canines. Dogs are genetically determined to live in a group.

A dog kept chained alone in one spot for hours, days, months, or even years suffers immense psychological damage. An otherwise friendly and docile dog, when kept continuously chained, becomes neurotic, unhappy, anxious, and often aggressive. In many cases, the necks of chained dogs become raw and covered with sores, the result of improperly fitted collars and the dogs' constant yanking and straining to escape confinement. Some chained dogs have collars embedded in their necks, the result of years of neglect at the end of a chain.
    4. Who says tethering dogs is inhumane? [​IMG]In addition to The Humane Society of the United States and numerous animal experts, the U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) issued a statement in the July 2, 1996, Federal Register against tethering: "Our experience in enforcing the Animal Welfare Act has led us to conclude that continuous confinement of dogs by a tether is inhumane. A tether significantly restricts a dog's movement. A tether can also become tangled around or hooked on the dog's shelter structure or other objects, further restricting the dog's movement and potentially causing injury."

In 1997, the USDA ruled that people and organizations regulated by the Animal Welfare Act cannot keep dogs continuously chained

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) has also stated "Never tether or chain your dog because this can contribute to aggressive behavior."

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) concluded in a study that the dogs most likely to attack are male, unneutered, and chained.
    more are here:
    http://www.unchainyourdog.org/WaystoHelp.htm

8. idgie

idgie Big Dog

This is a really worthwhile project, Marty! I hope everyone will think about this issue and do what they can to help.

I think that for some dogs, a 5/16" chain is fine. I also think that even a shorter chain can be humane. Remember the area provided by an 8 foot chain attached to a stationary axle is still 200 square feet! That's double the size of the largest commercial kennels.

I had to look it up because I forget high school math, but the area of a circle is pi (3.14) x the radius (chain length) squared. So a 10 foot chain provides 314 square feet!

(Remember though that the actual usable length of chain for the dog will be shorter than the length cut for purchase - at least 6 inches gets taken up with the loop around the axle.)

I also don't think that a temporary tie to a tree is necessarily abuse. As long as there's nothing else around for a dog to get caught up on, it can work fine in a pinch. It depends in part on whether we're talking about occasional tethering or tethering as a primary method of containment.

This is all about developing some common sense and skill with these dogs, and drawing arbitrary lines (9 feet is abuse, 10 is fine) is always going to be flawed. When we start immediately saying something is necessarily "abuse" we aren't taking into account the specifics of a situation. Still we have to come up with some good guidelines for people.

I've never seen a study by Tufts and it would be really useful to have a copy of that! Or at least a citation and then I can dig it up.

In regard to the AVMA's statement, they have waffled on this issue. As far as I know, they still have no official position, and it will be important to clarify that. If they are not anti-tether, that will help our position. This is the last I heard from them about it (from the RDOWS listserv) which refutes the statement made on unchainyourdog.org:

Subject: FW: May 2003 Dog Bite Prevention Week press release
    Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:09:26 -0500
    Dear Ms. XXXX:

The AVMA currently has no formal position on tethering dogs. The reference to tethering you cite was included in a press release that was put together jointly with several other agencies and reflected the recommendations of those multiple agencies. Because this has generated confusion, we have since removed the release from our Website.

We have been researching this issue with interest, but have not yet identified sufficient data to make specific recommendations. This is one of the reasons our 2001 report, "A community approach to dog bite prevention," includes recommendations for collecting data regarding how dogs are restrained (e.g., penned, fenced, tethered) at the time of the bite.

As an aside...Whether tethering is or is not appropriate is not an "animal rights" issue. This is a responsible ownership, animal welfare, and public health issue. You will find tethering and non-tethering advocates on both sides of the animal rights debate.

Sincerely,

Gail C. Golab, PhD, DVM
    Associate Director, Animal Welfare
    American Veterinary Medical Association
    1931 North Meacham Rd, Suite 100
    Schaumburg, Illinois 60173

9. Suki

Suki Guest

more reading:

http://bullynews.org/forum/index.php?topic=228

http://www.adoa.org/press/index.cfm?Fuseaction=pressreleases_full&ID=721

where it's legal, and where it's not:

http://www.helpinganimals.com/ga_tetherLegislation.asp

more reading:http://www.helpinganimals.com/ga_chained_frontlines.asp

one guy's opinion:
    http://cracker.com.au/viewthread.aspx?threadid=217151&categoryid=11311

more anti opinions. (curious to know where some of these "expert" opinions came from. curious about their "studies" as well)...
    anyhow, ...sigh... read on...
    http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_Chaining.php
    read the results of the Cornell study here:
    http://www.nopitbullbans.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/cornell_study_on_te_1cf54f6.pdf

will try to dig up some more

10. yellaman420

yellaman420 Big Dog

Awesome Idea right here. Stoppin them fools before it really gets traction! I keep all mine on either running chains or on 15' 'ers. All of them are happy and shining. Every penned dog I see has that same 'let me outta here' look on their face. Not bashin if thats how you choose to keep them, Ive kept them both ways but Ill never put another one in a pen again.

11. Marty

Marty Guest

Ok I have made this thread a sticky... lets not let it die... this is very important!

Thanks to all that helps in this matter ;)

12. CooljoeGoodie

CooljoeGoodie Big Dog

Wow I don't know what to say about this,cause we still have humans that are still being treated worse than animals,so when I saw yet another dum thing that they were trying to do,...But I think that along with an arguement,there should be an signed petition or something like that,or maybe an online one.I think history has proven,that only when you show some type of force.(not meaning violent force)but something that the government can see that a lot of people disagree with,..only then will they listen.JMO

13. Pitless2208

Pitless2208 Big Dog

Marty this is a GREAT idea....It's nearly impossible to find anything "pro-chain" on the net..but I will keep an eye out for anything that may help!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  14. Marty

Marty Guest

Pitless, thanks for this... it just might help in some way ;)

15. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Great idea!

Here's some ideas,

-Give & show examples of proper set-ups. This includes adequate water and shelter.

-Explain that over-sized chains are essentially useless. Make note of chain grade.

-It's still up to the owner to properly care for his dog's mental well-being. Dogs can be abused inside kennels and crates as well. Anti-tethering laws cannot make someone care.

-Stress that most of the time, already existing anti-creulty laws will suffice- and that resources will be wasted on new laws. Enforce the existing ones before creating new ones.

Here's another site with some good info, http://workingpitbull.com/tethering.html

16. Marty

Marty Guest

Thanks GSD... we need all the ideas we can get ;)

Has anyone googled this :(

We really have our work cut out for us :(

17. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

chaining is a have too, any responsible pitbull owner will see that they're dog is properly secure and always know where it is,

these anit tethering laws is not going to accomplish nothing but alot more opportunities for dogs to be loose because the owners can't properly secure them,,

18. Pitless2208

Pitless2208 Big Dog

I've done quite a few searches..finding nothing but one sided bias...it's ridiculous.

I chain my dogs (who are non-pit bulls at that!) because it is the responsible thing to do..to keep them safe!...I just don't see why so many people cannot see that. If someone sticks a dog on a chain so they MUST be neglected and mistreated...what sense does that make? I just don't understand that logic.

I agree with GSD..A page on how to set up a proper chain set-up would be great...

19. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

I'm going to start looking at some sled dog sites, it's another breed group that is probably interested in the same issues.

If anyone has any contact with such, maybe you could ask them or post a link so I can investigate it....

20. Pitless2208

Pitless2208 Big Dog